semi auto in the gun cabinet

Psyxologos

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually it would depend on the make of auto....

In my comment I was referring to the "firing off" of the gun, in doing so it would only relieve some tension on the hammer spring, which is unnecessary.

Modern Berettas for example have 1 spring on the front over the mag tube, not in the stock, and the firing pin is free floating. The only other is on the hammer.

Hi Chrispti

I agree it does depend on the make, which is why I said "in most semi auto's" there are a multitude of designs, most do have it in the stock, some don't.

I also agree that firing of the hammer is unnecessary in modern coil spring equipped guns, which is why I said not all the tension will be released & so the full benefit cannot really be obtained & as coil springs are cheap its not really worth worrying about, to my mind the only spring worth protecting is the action spring, and its why I store my guns with the bolt closed to save the action spring a little.

If keeping the gun stored with the bolt open makes people feel safer then there is nothing wrong with that, it just means you may get cycling issues further down the line & excess wear on the gun if you don't swap the spring as it becomes weaker over time, but so long as you do that then all is well.

I also agree the Beretta 1301 does have the action spring fitted around the magazine tube instead of in the stock, I have worked on them a number of times, but the gun does not have a free floating firing pin, there is a spring that fits around it & acts upon it, the gun does have a free floating hammer, which is what I think you meant to say, it also has another coil spring that is fitted around a guide rod too the side of the trigger group that acts on the carrier dog (shell lifter) like a Benelli its not uncommon for this spring to get damaged or the guide rod bent.

So as regards storage I don't think there is a right or wrong way to store a semi so long as you have the correct maintenance plan in place to support your chosen preference with regards to the springs.

Kind of strayed off topic a little here so my apologies to the OP.

N

Edited by neil smith

I've read enough of these posts over the years and I have THE CORRECT ANSWER....

The answer is "it doesn't matter", bolt open/bolt closed, gun fired/gun unfired,, snap caps in or snap caps out, barrels up/barrels down, it really doesn't matter.

As long as your gun is empty of any live amo, then do whatever floats your boat. There will always be someone with thousands more years experience who will tell you that you are doing it all wrong, and a queue of people telling you they agree and do the same.

Enjoy your gun and be safe.....

Cos

I also agree the Beretta 1301 does have the action spring fitted around the magazine tube instead of in the stock, I have worked on them a number of times, but the gun does not have a free floating firing pin, there is a spring that fits around it & acts upon it, the gun does have a free floating hammer, which is what I think you meant to say, it also has another coil spring that is fitted around a guide rod too the side of the trigger group that acts on the carrier dog (shell lifter) like a Benelli its not uncommon for this spring to get damaged or the guide rod bent.

Yep. mind you, cutting a couple of coils off this does wonders for loading.... as im sure you already know.

as for the main action spring, theyre so inexpensive that changing them wont be a hardship.

i only keep mine with the bolt open as its something i have always done. as you say, modern materials mean sagging springs are almost a distant memory.

its almost like the fallacy of 'if you leave a spring air rifle cocked for too long, it will reduce power' which most people now know is codswallop.

each to their own though. open or closed, it really is down to personal preference nowadays.

I've read enough of these posts over the years and I have THE CORRECT ANSWER....

The answer is "it doesn't matter", bolt open/bolt closed, gun fired/gun unfired,, snap caps in or snap caps out, barrels up/barrels down, it really doesn't matter.

As long as your gun is empty of any live amo, then do whatever floats your boat. There will always be someone with thousands more years experience who will tell you that you are doing it all wrong, and a queue of people telling you they agree and do the same.

Enjoy your gun and be safe.....

Cos

The truth has been speaketh! Amen

Hi Chrispti

I agree it does depend on the make, which is why I said "in most semi auto's" there are a multitude of designs, most do have it in the stock, some don't.

I also agree that firing of the hammer is unnecessary in modern coil spring equipped guns, which is why I said not all the tension will be released & so the full benefit cannot really be obtained & as coil springs are cheap its not really worth worrying about, to my mind the only spring worth protecting is the action spring, and its why I store my guns with the bolt closed to save the action spring a little.

If keeping the gun stored with the bolt open makes people feel safer then there is nothing wrong with that, it just means you may get cycling issues further down the line & excess wear on the gun if you don't swap the spring as it becomes weaker over time, but so long as you do that then all is well.

So as regards storage I don't think there is a right or wrong way to store a semi so long as you have the correct maintenance plan in place to support your chosen preference with regards to the springs.

Kind of strayed off topic a little here so my apologies to the OP.

N

Modern berettas, as in the a391, a400 series, having a free floating firing pin. Edited by chrispti

snap caps...bin em, do you jack your car up when not in use so as to take the weight off the springs? me thinks not,

ahhh but would you happily leave your car for a week or 2 (perhaps longer in many cases) fully loaded so the springs were almost coil bound, like firing pin springs ??

i like snap caps, cant see what harm it does to relieve the tension off any springs that may be lurcking in there as i might not use that gun again for many months, your all prob right and it doesnt hurt them being compressed........it just makes me feel better knowing they aint :)

Edited by 69chris

thats very true chris69, shows we all have differing opinions on the humble snap cap1

we do bud and im glad we do,

iv noticed that loads since hanging around on here,

if you were to ask the question 'whats the best way to boil water' you will get a hundred different opinions of the very best way,

it would get heated (see what i did there !!) - gas is better than electric, but not as good as a fire but maybe more efficient......etc etc,

the mods would tell someone off and maybe have to lock the thread to shut everyone up,

but for me, as long as there is a hundred happy folk eating or drinking something tasty made using said hot water - who cares how it was boiled :good:

different strokes is what makes us.........us i guess :lol:

The Beretta 391s & 400s both have firing pin springs, so now Im left wondering what your definition of free floating might be, but lets quit this discussion as it really doesn't matter, but if you need one they sell them here...

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=C95322&Store_Code=mgwi&search=beretta+A400&offset=&filter_cat=&PowerSearch_Begin_Only=&sort=&range_low=&range_high=

Modern berettas, as in the a391, a400 series, having a free floating firing pin.

Why should you always have a flag in the breech when you move about or have finished shooting?

You should always treat all guns as "live" until proved otherwise,all my guns are cleared and dry fired when I have finished in the field,then again once cleaned and put away,when they come out of the cabinet they are cleared again.If I handed you my shotgun I would do so with it in a state you could see it was clear and expect you to state it was clear before handing it to you.

You don't need flags if you have followed the correct SOP's

The number of times you see people walking round a clay ground with a semi-auto without a flag in it is unbelievable. It is a safety measure. Are you sure that gun is unloaded? We all know it should be but are you sure? The same applies when out shooting pigeons or whatever. An o/u or s/s can be carried broken so you can see at a glance it is unloaded but a semi-auto is a different matter. Yes I know we all should do this but not all people act the same, especially if you don't know them. That is the way I was taught and it has never left me. I don't intend to change my stance on it at all. When I have finished shooting the flag goes in and the gun goes in the slip and it is carried muzzle down. The flag goes in the breech after cleaning and then in the cabinet. Get into the habit and you won't go wrong.

Others may view this as unnecessary but I always err on the side of safety, after all it only takes a couple of seconds to put the flag in.

Edited by Uncle Albert

i don't use a flag at the ground with my semi-auto,i carry the gun pointing up with the gate open facing it out for all to see.i know I will get slagged for this,but the amount of O/U's I see being taken out of their slips without breaking them as the stock is free of the slip,then swing them round pointing through the shooters before breaking them when they enter the stand.That makes me feel uncomfortable,i casually mentioned it to a friend about it and it wasn't well recieved

the only time i have used my flag recently is when the guns in the cabinet. bit odd, i know.

when im clay shooting, if im not shooting then the gun is in the slip so no point putting the flag in as no one would see it anyway.

there does seem to be an inherent fear of semi autos by some shooters with regards to the perceived safety aspect.

personally, i dont see them as being any more dangerous as the next gun. its down to the individual using it.

i think some people spend far too much time worrying about how safe other shooters and their guns are, and spend far to little time looking at themselves (or shooting)

just my opinion though.... :good:

The Beretta 391ssomething00s both have firing pin springs, so now Im left wondering what your definition of free floating might be, but lets quit this discussion as it really doesn't matter, but if you need one they sell them here...

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=C95322&Store_Code=mgwi&search=beretta+A400&offset=&filter_cat=&PowerSearch_Begin_Only=&sort=&range_low=&range_high=

:lol: **** knows what im going on about, getting it mixed up with something else then....