Got turned down on a 243

Rim Fire

He could be getting it given to him as a gift. He may have a tight budget for the rifle and not have enough to go on paid stalks. This isn't the point, he has land on which there are deer and has permission to shoot them. He also has 13 years experience with a centerfire rifle so it just proves the point that his FEO/licencing dept are incompetent and standing in the way of someone who is within his rights to have a .243 as he has provided 'good reason' which is all that is required of him.

Has he provided good reason, if so then I would expect BASC to sort it out.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Has he provided good reason, if so then I would expect BASC to sort it out.

Absolutely. It shouldn't even get to the stage to involve his shooting organisation as it is so straight forward but given that it has, BASC should be giving his licencing department a huge kick in the backside.

As i have mentioned before on this thread, this issue boils down to this chap confirming he has access to deer stalking, as he has given this as his good reason for the 243 variation. If he can do this by getting the landowner to confirm there are deer on the land and he wants them controlled as Kes and I have both said, this should resolve the problem.

Unless he has access to deer stalking then all the backside kicking in the world will not help him get this variation :no:

David

It's not rocket science ....... here is a copy of the letter a land owner of one of my permissions wrote ..... with key details removed/changed for obvious reasons ...

Dear Sirs,

I am writing to confirm my agreement for Mr Blah Blah of 1, Hogwarts Hall, Magicshire , , Firearms Certificate number 123456789 to shoot all legal quarry on my farm with a .243 rifle and to include the fallow deer that I have.

Yours faithfully,

Mr B May

He can get all that and have told them but they have now dug there heels in as i said BASC has been on the phone to them and no joy as i have said this farm dose not hold deer but they do cross the land if and when they do he can shoot them but its not all the time they are there so if we go up there foxing and we should happen to see one then he will have the correct caliber rifle to shoot legal this nonsence about going on stalking days IS NOT the home office guide lines and should they be giving out tickets on these grounds if you want to go on paid stalking they will supply a rifle for you to shoot with

Edited by Rim Fire

So to confirm, the landowner and holder of the sporting rights has written a letter clearly stating that there are deer on the land which he wants controlling?

David, If you are asking me, yes. It went in with my application for a variation to a .243. I had it come back as AOLQ as requested.

As i have mentioned before on this thread, this issue boils down to this chap confirming he has access to deer stalking, as he has given this as his good reason for the 243 variation. If he can do this by getting the landowner to confirm there are deer on the land and he wants them controlled as Kes and I have both said, this should resolve the problem.

Unless he has access to deer stalking then all the backside kicking in the world will not help him get this variation :no:

David

My post relates to the other post that I wrote (number 50) which states that he has land with deer and permission to shoot them along with 13 years centerfire experience. If he has been in contact with BASC (which we are led to believe he has) they should be doing something about it don't you think? I know you work for BASC and I am not trying to knock a good organisation but I think I was quite correct in making my statement that you seem to have tried to make look unjustified. I'm not giving you a hard time, I respect the fact that you come on here and help people even though you do get a rough time off quite a few members.

So to confirm, the landowner and holder of the sporting rights has written a letter clearly stating that there are deer on the land which he wants controlling?

In a nut shell yes he didnt have it in writing when he applied but told the FAO he can get it if he wants but no not good enough he said west mrecier said no deer on the land i dont know if there was or wasent at the time of passing the ground for a 243 but we have seen deer there as i said not all the time but how many can garantee they will see a deer every time they go out he has let it drop now as he is afraid that they may get funny over his renewell you got people going on 1 stalk and getting a 308 where he has no ground to shoot the thing on where my mate is trying to do the right thing and be all legal if he see one

malkiserow - sorry my fault for not being clear, I was asking Rim Fire in relation to his friend

r1steel - sorry if you thought I was having a go at your post, that was not my intention I assure you and I fully apologize if it came over that way. I was simply trying to reiterate that the issue is whether there are deer there or not, and if not we are onto a looser

I agree that if there are deer on the land and he has permission and request from that landowner then good reason has been established, and in hindsight it would have been better to send in the letter from the landowner at the time of the variation request.

I find it very odd that the licencing team are relying on a (lord knows how long ago) past report from another licencing authority and ignoring the more valid and current information from the landowner, I will take this up with the members case officer, Mike, on Monday when I am back in the office, I am on leave today.

David

malkiserow - sorry my fault for not being clear, I was asking Rim Fire in relation to his friend

r1steel - sorry if you thought I was having a go at your post, that was not my intention I assure you and I fully apologize if it came over that way. I was simply trying to reiterate that the issue is whether there are deer there or not, and if not we are onto a looser

I agree that if there are deer on the land and he has permission and request from that landowner then good reason has been established, and in hindsight it would have been better to send in the letter from the landowner at the time of the variation request.

I find it very odd that the licencing team are relying on a (lord knows how long ago) past report from another licencing authority and ignoring the more valid and current information from the landowner, I will take this up with the members case officer, Mike, on Monday when I am back in the office, I am on leave today.

David

No need for apologies, I understand exactly why you said it and you do get a lot of flack on behalf of BASC. Keep up the good work.

Any news guys?

My mate phoned up on Sat to tell them we was going up to shoot Fox and the old lady of the farm said the FAO had phoned and sak have my mate got perm to shoot there when she said yes they then ask what he got perm to shoot she told them he has got perm to shoot fox rabbit and any DEER that cross there land she allso told them if a deer has got stuck in a fence then they need someone like him to come and shoot it what more do they need

And quess what he had to go up and have a peice of ground rated for the shooting club he is in he went with anouther chap and the same FAO turnrd up to rate the ground he couldnt look at my mate and quess he rated it for a 243 for fox only what **** they wont give you a 243 for FOX only here

Edited by Rim Fire

Has BASC taken up your case, as it seems a simple case of entrenched intransigence by one FEO?

The FU manager can and should overrule this advice. All he /she perhaps needs to do that, is experienced advice ? Even stretching the conditions on the.243 for aolq would do.

Has BASC taken up your case, as it seems a simple case of entrenched intransigence by one FEO?

The FU manager can and should overrule this advice. All he /she perhaps needs to do that, is experienced advice ? Even stretching the conditions on the.243 for aolq would do.

I dont know David BASC on here did say when he went back to work he would look into it but they havent got intouch with my mate as yet

What I can't understand is why this chap has not asked his farmer for a written request to cull deer on his farm and supplied that to his licensing manager. All this "I can get written permission if needed" is not helping his application.

Why make life difficult for himself when a simple letter from the landowner may well get the desired result.

He has told them if they want it in writing they can have it but they said it dosent matter they wont give him a 243 they keep saying West Mercier said there is not any DEER on the land which was god knows how long ago did they say this he has not got the files to check to see if they did say this or not I think they are being stubborn

Edited by Rim Fire

Please bear with me as this is long winded but i think it clarify's a few points.

F.E.O's , their job is to collate information that can and will be asked by the manager at divisional level , I know this because of my HORRIFIC experience with my feo , who will make a recommendation (the divisional manager that is).

This is compiled into a report which will support or oppose a grant . fac or sgc.

This report will go to the licencing office for consideration of their team , no problems equals grant , HOWEVER if there is a problem with ANY aspect of the application it will have to be considered by the head of the licencing department ( the person who is responsible for the day to day stuff of the office) AND THEN another report will be compiled and passed further up the chain , to be considered by the chief constable .

It took my coterminous application TEN MONTHS to be processed and was opposed at feo level , divisional level , licencing office level , and was only granted when it hit the desk of a very very sensible chief inspector Fraser Lamb who took advice from my shooting authority about my physical and mental state ( i have a neurological condition).

It was SACS who saved the day and fought my corner at EVERY turn , i had good reason for all of the firearms and even though it caused a few raised eyebrows i was granted EVERY firearm i had applied for , which was 2x.22lr 1x.38 underlever 1x.223 1x.308 1x.44 percussion revolver and 1x.22 semi auto lbp as well as my sgc.

On my FIRST APPLICATION , SACS are the dogs danglies , ask any member.

Hope this clarifies things , have a good reason for the caliber you want, ground cleared and permission for said caliber and a SACS membership and you will get what you need .

This is coming from a guy who EVERYBODY SAID "NO CHANCE".!!!!!!!!

if thats all he needs is four stalks then i`ll take him stalking on my land but what happens then will he still have the rifle on his land

Good question what i dont get is they will give you a 308 because you have had 1 stalk this i know for a fact now this person and many others on here havent got any land to zero it on never mind shoot after.

Good luck to them but the home office guide lines dosent mention going on stalks and granting permits. By going on a stalk and getting a 308 that gives you all the knoledge you need to know to have it dont think so my mate has got 13 yrs holding a centerfire rifle he has got land to shoot it on he has got the landowner permission to shoot any DEER that cross the land and they say no he phoned BASC and they make a phone call and return with looks like your back is against the wall well if that is all they have done and i dont know if it is mabe they are doing something else but if it is all they have done thats well worth 70 quid a year i dont think

Edited by Rim Fire