12 volt CCTV to guard farm land?

pavman

ok to cut a very long story short I look after some land with a gated entrance and the owner has had a few run ins with local lads and now he is getting nails across the entrance and glue in the lock. He can no longer padlock the gate.

We looked to use my wildlife cam but as its near a road it kept getting set off and it could be seen so would be nicked. The other complication is other folk have to have legit access and used the combi lock that can no longer be used blah blah

There is an old flag pole near enough to mount a camera and high enough for it to be a problem for someone to mess with it but there is no power supply.

I have looked (a lot) and cant find a unit that can run off a 12volt DC batt, record 24hrs a day onto a hard drive like the units you get for your house (I have a 4 camera unit but it has to have 240 volts AC)

You can get units that send a 10 sec vid file to a station via a phone signal but that's not much help either...... why cant you get a stand alone 12 volt DC system that loads to a hard drive you can review on site (or can you)

I've noticed a few cctv recorders that are 240v, but on closer inspection are actually mains fed but are actually 12v having a converter built in or in the main line somewhere.

You can get dedicated 12v units aimed primarily at vehicle use but they tend to be expensive, you'd stil need a portals tore or tool vault of somewhere to secure it ?

You can get 12v recorders that record to a sd card got a new one here if you want it for £40 posted,To go with it you will need a 12v battery,bullet camera a small screen to view the film and set the camera up and a waterproof box to put the recorder in,use to make theses set-ups. give me a pm

Edited by garygreengrass

You can get 12v recorders that record to a sd card got a new one here if you want it for £40 posted,To go with it you will need a 12v battery,bullet camera a small screen to view the film and set the camera up and a waterproof box to put the recorder in,use to make theses set-ups. give me a pm

oh this sounds good PM sent

Modern Digital Black & White cameras dont use a lot of power. Perhaps a solar powered wireless camera if the signal will reach somewhere the DVR or monitor can be kept?

not a bad idea Dave the issue remains data storage on a full 12 volt system...... day/night camera, 24hr operation, storing the recorded images and playback. If they go onto an SD card that may work but I am surprised how hard this is......... there must be a market to offer cost effective stand alone systems that have no mains electric or the need to use 3g or a phone network and need a security system to catch and deter thieves.

In Norfolk we have rubbish phone network cover and no 240 volts in farm buildings that may house very expensive kit some way from the farm... you would think you could get a set up for under £250 each system but so far it appears not and the only option is a trail cam with very limited PIR trip ability. From my own experience they don't work very well beyond 12 feet or so despite claiming up to 60 feet.

but surely, if you can get up the flag pole to instal it, so could the yobs to destroy it, we had similar situation, try signage, info signs saying that multiply trail cameras are set up in area, and any footage will be handed to the local police, also signs about armed trespass and the sentence it carries

but surely, if you can get up the flag pole to instal it, so could the yobs to destroy it, we had similar situation, try signage, info signs saying that multiply trail cameras are set up in area, and any footage will be handed to the local police, also signs about armed trespass and the sentence it carries

yep signs going up with the box...... the duel use is it has a model aircraft club that use it and they have a runway and a container of kit and that's the target, some expensive kit .... I shoot the rabbits and am the only person allowed to shoot

yep signs going up with the box...... the duel use is it has a model aircraft club that use it and they have a runway and a container of kit and that's the target, some expensive kit .... I shoot the rabbits and am the only person allowed to shoot

yup, and armed trespass needn't be with a gun, a pocket knife, or equipt to break into a containing could maybe be classed as armed trespass?

our signs point out that armed trespass carries a jail sentence with it

What you need is a couple of hours after dark prefered

The gear required to complete the task is as follow

A balaclarva

A night vision cammera

a hammer and a blow torch

That should sort it

funny that's just what I did last night.... less the hammer and blow torch..... 2hrs bagged just 2 rabbits nothing else showed up inc yobs! oh yea and 2 munty drifted by within 40 yards never knew I was there :ninja:

Edited by pavman

Might I suggest if there is a shipping container and its the target its also the perfect place for the storage side. Using leisure batteries and possibly solar charging you could run a recorder off an inverter.

your cameras could be powered by batteries again solar charging is possible link the camera/s with wireless transmitters. they would run on very little current compared to the recorder. most cameras have movement detection that might be used to switch record on/off.

while commercial products might be expensive a home built could reduce that cost drastically.

PAVMAN:

The local Yobbo`s or what ever,, tried to nick the Repeater off the river bank so forget poles, they just chop them down and smash the camera and probably leave a note.. Still think a well hidden trail cam is the answer.. They have On- OFF and use very little power, only when tripped, Be inventive with the surroundings..

PAVMAN:

The local Yobbo`s or what ever,, tried to nick the Repeater off the river bank so forget poles, they just chop them down and smash the camera and probably leave a note.. Still think a well hidden trail cam is the answer.. They have On- OFF and use very little power, only when tripped, Be inventive with the surroundings..

Yep I have concerns, however the fact the gateway is off a main and busy road may help as they can be seen Garygreengrass has given me a lot of advise and is sending me a 12 volt control unit I just need to add a few bits and hopefully we will have a system. My thoughts are to add another unit looking at the main camera area to catch anyone having a go at it, if that happens I hope they are concentrating on that so they don't find the other one.

I have a few bits already like the water proof mounting box and it may be worth me sharing what I achieve (or not) as it may help others (if anyone is interested)

funny that's just what I did last night.... less the hammer and blow torch..... 2hrs bagged just 2 rabbits nothing else showed up inc yobs! oh yea and 2 munty drifted by within 40 yards never knew I was there :ninja:

Normally you don't need the hammer and the blowtorch but on this occasion you do the hammer is to knock the nails in that they have put on the floor to prevent punctures and the blow torch will remove the glue from the lock ...