Rizzini O/U does not close propely

KevinP

My Rizzini O/U has stopped closing properly, it used to close as normal but now I have to push the release lever to the open position to allow the barrels to close then push the release lever back to the lock position. Seems to have happened after a very wet days shooting. Is this easy to fix?

Take the forend and barrels off-does the top lever spring back into the centre if you push it to the right?-if not then as above the return spring has failed-not a big job and one that you should be able to do yourself p.s there may be a small pin at the top of the breach face that you need to push in but youy should be able to feel resistance when you move the top lever anyway.

Possibly .a sticking or rusted hold open catch . If it is then it needs to have the top lever taken out and a good cleaning of the plungers and spring ,possibly replacing if worn which is not uncommon. Not as simple as it sounds as it entails a complete strip down to get to the parts you need to and the putting back together can be a pain to the uninitiated .

Edited by Gunman

If non of the above! Do you need to push it FAR right, or just a small way?

Or has the top lever returned to the full closed position once opened, to stop you closing the gun?

Pop off the forend and barrels. Look in the bottom of the action and you will see the lock. Push the top lever fully open! Now tilt the action downward and give it a shake. Look to see if the lock moves forward! Repeat with the action pointing up and see if the plate moves backward!

My Rizzini had a worn lug. I managed to build it back up by welding it to build up the metal, then reshape and harden the metal.

On the bottom of the top lever is a round lug, this passes through the lock plate, and is the means of pulling the lock backward. When it had worn oval instead of round, it caused a lot of issues!

I personally would think a return spring failure on the lock plate would offer different probs to what your encountering.

If the top lever returns to centre upon opening the barrels, I would say check the small release pin in the top of the action first! It is designed for the breach face to strike it, then that in turn releases the lock mechanism to lock the action. There may be a problem in there! Tight pin, broken or weak spring, or some other such problem.

If you were close I would have looked it over for you FOC.

Possibly .a sticking or rusted hold open catch . If it is then it needs to have the top lever taken out and a good cleaning of the plungers and spring ,possibly replacing if worn which is not uncommon. Not as simple as it sounds as it entails a complete strip down to get to the parts you need to and the putting back together can be a pain to the uninitiated .

The Rizzini E is a dream to work on. There is nothing complicated in them. It was the first gun I even stripped down and carried out repairs on.

I do it every day and I still drop bits have springs fly on occasion .As to be a dream , depends on what sort of dreams you have .

The peverse type of dreams :lol: :lol:

I don't do gun repairs as a living, but find it very rewarding! And strangely not that difficult at all. But then I also enjoy repairing things like pocket watches, mobile phones etc. So am good with my hands! Or so my other half tells me :whistling: