run off road tonight

activeviii

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you conveniently not quote the whole sentence (or cut off the rest to justufy your reply)? Read it again, that's not exactly what I said, or meant and I'm guessing you knew that too.

I was using the point about lorries and their constant quest to maintain that extra 1mph to emphasise the fact that if things need changing when it comes to lane discipline they're as much a pain in the *** as anything else on motorways pulling out and taking half a mile or more to creep past one another.

No not at all,

I just feel that someone who thinks HGV's should be banned from overtaking should be on meds of some sort,

I can see it now, line of lorries doing 50-55mph but the one carrying the heaviest load just happens to be at the front,

Ooh look a hill, but remember... They can't overtake so they all have to stay in line down to whatever the heaviest ones speed is. Albeit maybe 20-25mph

Now can you see the problem with your statement,?

You can't make such sweeping statements without expecting some sort of response.

Try working a week in an HGV and see the real world.

:shaun:

I totally agree....how on earth can lanes 2 and 3 be overtaking lanes only when you're only allowed to do 70mph legally (we all change this to 80mph). When you're in a van for example where it's harder to nip between 60 and 80mph, doing at least 70mph where is the sense in constantly swapping back to the inside lane to do the same speed until you get stuck there and can't pull out to overtake again?

Lorries should be banned from overtaking if anything, the cause of so many hold ups!

I see no issue with using the middle lane when the outside lane is clear if someone really wants to do 100+

And to quote your full post.....^^^^^

It's against the law to hog the middle lane whether you think it's ok or not

And to quote your full post.....^^^^^

It's against the law to hog the middle lane whether you think it's ok or not

I thought you must have been a lorry driver!

The middle lane 'law' eh....do you agree with every law on the road?

Would you suddenly change your opinions if the laws on lorries overtaking was changed?

Once again you managed to exaggerate the argument with examples of extremes, I don't think a lorry having to take over half a mile to overtake another is great for traffic flow (one moving at half the speed isn't what I was getting at)

I thought you must have been a lorry driver!

The middle lane 'law' eh....do you agree with every law on the road?

Would you suddenly change your opinions if the laws on lorries overtaking was changed?

Once again you managed to exaggerate the argument with examples of extremes, I don't think a lorry having to take over half a mile to overtake another is great for traffic flow (one moving at half the speed isn't what I was getting at)

doesnt matter whether you agree or not, its the law. 1/2 mile isnt long when you are 18m long and weigh in at 44 tonnes, only takes a slight slope to drop 10 - 20 mph off your top end. Remember, no lorries no stuff in shops. No numpties hogging middle lane = much improved traffic flow if thats your main concern.

doesnt matter whether you agree or not, its the law. 1/2 mile isnt long when you are 18m long and weigh in at 44 tonnes, only takes a slight slope to drop 10 - 20 mph off your top end. Remember, no lorries no stuff in shops. No numpties hogging middle lane = much improved traffic flow if thats your main concern.

Explain how the middle lane being clear is the key to traffic flow, when travelling at the legal speed limit?

Oh and keep bleating on about 'the law' , you abide by every speed limit that's the law do you?

Edited by Wilts#Dave

Lanes 2 & 3 being for overtaking makes perfect sense If ( and its a big if) people are sticking to the speed limits

Example:

A lorry, a van and a car all in lane 1, in that order

Lorry restricted to 56 MPH

Van overtakes - moves into lane 2. The speed limit for a van on a motorway/dual carriageway is 60MPH

Car wants to be past the van and the lorry - moves into lane 3 - 70MPH

Et Voila - Everyone is abiding by the speed limit and legally overtaking in lanes 2 & 3

Explain how the middle lane being clear is the key to traffic flow, when travelling at the legal speed limit?

Oh and keep bleating on about 'the law' , you abide by every speed limit that's the law do you?

I was just trying to put another point of view across. Obviously a complete waste of time, dont bother responding as I try not to engage with trolls

I was just trying to put another point of view across. Obviously a complete waste of time, dont bother responding as I try not to engage with trolls

Oh really, that's exactly what i was doing until people started quoting what i'd said out of context!

I'm happy for someone to pick something I've said to pieces but expect a reasoned argument in return....we're never all going to agree!

Troll, you couldn't be further from the truth.

Edited by Wilts#Dave

New dash camera is on order as its not the first time. Last year a lorry wanted to be where my car was just because he didn't like me do 50 in an average speed camera area.

Also had a lorry coming sideways towards me on a narrow lane. He had clipped the grass edge and lost control. Honestly thought we were going to be dead on that one.

Will ring today and find someone to speak to. But then its my word against 2 of them.

Not sure if it's already been said,but if it's your word against 2 of them and no action is taken,at the very least you'd have planted a seed. Chances are the culprit will do it again to someone else and if the complaints keep coming in then who knows.

Snail overtaking by lorries just seems plain selfish to me

For the benifit of the lorry drive blocking the lane by snail overtaking (going 1or 2 mph more than the other lorry he is passing)

for miles and miles, everybody else is delayed, waiting to continue, bunching up, ............ Bang

If it takes you longer than 30 seconds to overtake, you're not safe to proceed,

Rant over, sorry

As has been said, dashcam

Edited by bubble

With everything you get good and bad drivers, cars, lorrys, buses etc etc but go and drive a lorry or even just be a passenger in one and you will see it from a whole different perspective.

Point noted, but how can you justify snail overtaking?

It only benefits the selfish actions of one vehicle, and then only makes the journey seconds faster, but the rest of us who are patiently waiting for the fiasco to end...............

Some over taking is done in the most pointless situations or on hills and that winds me up but when you have to be in certain parts of the country at certain times or have to be at a certain place for your 40 minute break and if you don't get to that truck stop in time and go over your driving time you get proper fingered by VOSA, then overtaking that other lorry and getting a move on may safe you 20 minutes and all that time adds up.

I think people just need to be more patient on the roads we all have somewhere were going

100 yard gap is big enough to move over.

At 70mph you are covering approximately 35 yards per second. So at the "two second rule" of stopping time in good conditions, there was only 30 yards to be made up on a lorry doing 50mph vs 70mph of the car. 20mph difference = 10 yards per second, so three seconds before pulling back out.

Would you have pulled in for three seconds? Really? :no:

Edited by njc110381

The legal position is that lanes 2&3 are overtaking lanes, they should be used as such unless lane 1 is heavily congested, making it unsafe to pull in. I've no idea why some people have such a problem adhering to that. If I was in a situation such as the OP's I would've done the same thing.

You'd have to be insane to drive in lane 3 while pulling a trailer.

One of my biggest annoyances with motorway driving is HGVs overtaking, it is the cause of so much congestion, the A1M suffers from it particularly badly.