Mole with shotguns

MK38MAGS

OK, njc did do it with a 338win mag but its still a gun right?

Go ahead mole, make my day lol

I shot another this morning.

How come we don't have a "How many moles shot in 2015" thread? :D

Good idea.

We've got a mole problem at the local range and I've never dealt with these before so I'm going to give these ideas with the shottie a try.

Cheers,

Mick

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I must be an awful shot as when I tried with the shotgun I missed the mole . Have only ever seen them digging a couple of times . On saturday I never had the gun but went a bit berzerk with a trowel as a hill was being lifted . Was unaware a group of walkers was watching . Again no dead mole . Bad year for them am very busy . Trying talpex traps for 1st time .

you need to flatten the hills the evening before

go to the site 7am if no activity wait until they start working - approach very softly or on quad or in truck.

if they have already pushed up earth return 3 hours later as they work on a 4 hour cycle, unless there are fresh hills they may still be working.

shoot a third of the way up the mound as the mole is working, you can see the earth rising you need to be close 1 metre or so away.

wear rubber gloves and after you shoot remove the soil quickly to reveal a dead mole.

a very effective method when you get the hang of it, there is usually one mole per set of workings so you can visit various sites in a rotation.

An 80 year old friend of mine both shoots them and traps them. He has shot more than he has trapped this year. A frosty morning is his favorite as he can see where they are working

Edited by cloudwalker

Just goes to show how some people just don't know or are to quick to judge, I've shot plenty over the years, I gained one permission just by shooting moles when I was a teenager, go the right time of day, heed some of the advice on this topic, you'll be surprised !

Which I why I find it best to just stfu and learn something new if I've never heard of it before.

Why is it acceptable to shoot wildlife when you can't see the quarry?

Oh but you can, they usually push a couple of times and then break the surface of the soil before disappearing off for another digging session, like I said a few days back there is more than enough info on this thread on how to go about it, why not give it a go rather than knock

Oh but you can, they usually push a couple of times and then break the surface of the soil before disappearing off for another digging session, like I said a few days back there is more than enough info on this thread on how to go about it, why not give it a go rather than knock

I'm a professional mole catcher.