one for the cheffy types

Paddy Galore!

Hi chaps, i'm after some Japanese style laminated knives, I've seen some made by a firm called ziganoff. has anyone else heard of this firm? if not, what should I be looking for? i'm popping into the city tomorrow for a look in Looses cook shop, but they're horrendously expensive in there so any advice would be welcome.

cheers,

Paddy.

I have not heard of ziganoff, but this site is pretty good for Japanese kitchen knives and will maybe give a bit of insight. They are good for lots of nice joinery hand tools too.

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/pp+knives-kitchen-knives-japanese-knife-ranges+k01000

Christ on a bike man! how much lol! :lol:

Have a look in a selfridges (sp) or John Lewis they normally have some, I gather you are on about the knives with the folds of the metal visible on the blade.

yep the folded ones :good:

I've had a quick google, ziganof don't make them, just rebrand them by the look of it. I found some knives that look identical on cook shops website. I wonder who does make them then?

Christ on a bike man! how much lol! :lol:

Yep, some of them are a wee bit pricey. I guess it depends what you are looking for, but traditionally forged damascus knives are always going to cost a few bob.

The Shirogami range have a set of 3 for £100 which is not expensive at all for decent kitchen knives.

Seem's your Sorted with your Knifes' but will mention these.

Im a bit of a Foodie and would love one of these' but I could not justify the price or could i afford one' but they look pretty special.

I dont know if anyone is watching the river cottage with the Australian Guy...On one episode he went to a Black Smith who knocked him up a very Special looking Chef's knife.

I done some online hunting for the guy and found this' he also made one for HFW.

Maybe Old farrier could try his hand at these:

http://www.mothermountainforge.com/gallery/knives/kitchen

I nearly went for a set of global knives, but they're a bit plain looking and I don't like the handles.

I have Globals, but I wouldn't buy them again. The quality is brilliant and they keep a brilliant edge, but they are really uncomfortable to use for me at least.

At some point I will sell them on and buy alternatives.