bird identity help

FalconFN

I looked out into my gerden this morning just as two goose size and shaped birds flew over. Ive never seen any geese like it and for a moment my brain couldnt compute at all as they had stork-like markings (possibly black on the heads too) but they were too small and had shorter beaks but were too big to be eiders. They were mainly white with black flight feathers and dark head markings (I think).

Any ideas?

Could be any number of about a dozen or so birds..

What sort of length were the Bills and necks. Were the wings rounded, pointed or scythe shaped, were the legs trailing or tucked up.? Did they call or were they silent.

"Too big to be eiders" suggests a duck of some sort.

My best guess would be a pair of Shellduck

Edited by Fisherman Mike

No definately not a duck (forget the eider reference, I thought they had entirely white underparts and that the colouring was similar). They were mainly white and goose shaped and sized but not a barnacle. I only really saw them from below but I had the feeling the top of the head or beak area was darker - I could be wrong though.

I've looked online but the closest looking bird is a snow goose!? That can't be right though.

Yes, I would go for the humble shelduck, stork like !?!

Stork-like markings rather than stork-like.

No definately not a duck (forget the eider reference, I thought they had entirely white underparts and that the colouring was similar). They were mainly white and goose shaped and sized but not a barnacle. I only really saw them from below but I had the feeling the top of the head or beak area was darker - I could be wrong though.

I've looked online but the closest looking bird is a snow goose!? That can't be right though.

Stork-like markings rather than stork-like.

Tufties ?

post-427-0-91016800-1429543189_thumb.jpg

Egyptian Geese?

I think you are right, they look really similar to the geese I saw :good:. They did look whiter underneath than some of the google pictures but my eyes weren't fully awake at 6.30 this morning so I could easily have been mistaken. Plus there have been a few sightings in this area of a pair of Egyptian geese. Cheers chaps.

Quite a lot about now; noisy bleeders too.

I think you are right, they look really similar to the geese I saw :good:. They did look whiter underneath than some of the google pictures but my eyes weren't fully awake at 6.30 this morning so I could easily have been mistaken. Plus there have been a few sightings in this area of a pair of Egyptian geese. Cheers chaps.