Nepal

Grandalf

Mates daughter started her much delayed gap year travels today. She has done back to back degrees in history and then law.

This morning I picked her up to take her to the station on the first leg of her journey to Kathmandu and then a trek to Everest base camp. Big excitement at the much delayed and well deserved trip of a lifetime.

Her Granny kissed her goodbye and wished her luck and we were off with rucksacks, boots and all the paraphernalia required on such a trip. Big smiles all round.

Five minutes up the road and her mobile rang. Granny had gone back indoors and turned on the telly. Massive earthquake in Nepal...

We continued to the station and she travelled to Heathrow. She's just phoned to say all the flights are cancelled and she's on her way back home.

Knowing Kathmandu from trips there myself I have massive amounts of sympathy for the Nepalese people and anyone else who is caught up in the disaster. It is a lovely place and they are lovely people.

I have a friend at Everest base camp at the moment. She is fine but shaken.

Amazingly and worryingly she was also at base camp 12 months ago when the Avalanche killed a lot of the guides.

I think the mountain is trying to say something to her.

Steve

I can just see those rickety houses in Kathmandu falling down like packs of cards when the earthquake hit. The Nepalese are such a lovely race of people; travelling to Nepal from India where it feels like everybody is trying to rip you off, Nepal feels so much more civilised - at least when they rip you off the people have smiles on their faces.

This is another example of why we should remember how lucky we are in this county and that we don't have to deal with mother nature in the way that some counties have to. Surely a worthy example of foreign aid?

Edited by Oxfordshooter

Ref the first post of this topic - I have just recovered one very P.O. young lady from the station and delivered her home after a frustrating day at Heathrow Airport. That's the gap year over for a while.

Her only comment was that she felt so sorry for those involved. Not all youngsters are bad.

I stayed in Kathmandu many years ago, before and after my trek to Everest base camp. The people there are very friendly, despite the fact that many of them have virtually nothing, and live from hand to mouth every day.

I was saddened to see the damage and caused by this earthquake. My thoughts and prayers are with the people of Nepal.

I was in a 7.9 in Peru in 1970. 82,000 killed. It brings life into sharp perspective when the Andes mountains get up and start walking around.

I definitely feel for all those involved. It's not possible to comprehend the chaos that ensues because all those who could help are as badly hit as everyone else.

Hope she gets to travel soon. :good:

Edited by KFC