what cartridge

bigbaz1974

I use Eley Hawk Best Pigeon, 32 grm, 6!/2 shot, Felt wad.

I only buy felt wad cartidges to be as friendly as possible to the environment and avoid any problems at clay grounds when you role up with plastic wads, and have to buy their cartridges at disadvantageeous prices.

For clays I buy Hull Pro Fibre, 28 grm in 7!/2 & 9s. The 9s are for those quite close shots that you really shouldnt miss, just more balls, but they dont kill a clay at distance.

For rabbit I use 32grm 5s, deadly!

All of the cartridges that I buy work well in all of my guns, except the Beretta side by side, 28 gms maximum. Tried the gun with 32s and thought I was on a white knuckle ride. I should have known better. My Beretta semi auto cycles all my cartridges perfectly; but my mates Browning Gold semi would not cycle 65mm cases, what ever the make, so beware!

When I am on the hunt for fresh shooting pastures, the farmers are always pleased to learn that I only use fibre wads as they dont like fields littered with plastic.

I am sure that there are balistic differences between the two basic types of wad, but if you pick a suitable range of cartridges and get used to them you will not know what you are missing. Purchased in bulk there is little difference in price. My cartridge supplier sells 250s at the 1000 rate, and he will mix a box if you wish.

Regards

Webber