School trip

Scully

went to the little cemetery

at andinkerke with the wife and what a shock the first english grave we came across was one of her family .we had no prior knowledge it was there.this inspired us to visit Ypres and the cemeteries in that area ,what a horrible waste of lives . its amazingly moving and humbling at the same time.all because politicians are retards who should know better ,as a previous poster stated in case of a declaration of war all politicians children should be conscripted first .this may make them think before going down this road.

I have been many times to the battlefields and would recommend it to all of you.

Leger holidays do very good guided tours and very reasonable prices. They can become very addictive. I have visited battlefields all over thr world. Sometimes it just catches you out, often when you least expect it. That feeling that this is real, it actually happened here where I am standing.

Auchwitz was the worst, that really did mess with my head, that was not fun, but Im glad I went............. I think

Edited by Vince Green

Gotta say battlefields and sites of mans inhumanity to man are completely different issues for me, I want to remember and pay my respects to those who died for our freedom, I do not want to visit and feel the obscenity of the Nazi death camps!

But each to their own!

It should be compulsory.

KW

Why? The allied soldiers were fighting for our freedom we owe them to remember with the utmost respect, the death camps were nothing to do with the allies but bear testimony to the barbarity of the then Nazi Germany.....it is the German people that should perhaps feel compelled to visit the death camps, for others to visit it just seems a bit ghoulish to me!

I think that to visit the death camps helps people to truly understand the depths to which humanity can sink. The Germans who were involved were just ordinary people who were taken in by an extreme ideology to the point where many felt compelled to carry out acts of utter and horrific barbarity.

Not such a bad thing for people to see and appreciate first hand and maybe set them up to follow a better path in life.

Edited by grrclark

It should be compulsory.

KW

I have to agree, lest we ever forget, it's the most incredible experience, my emotions were blown to pieces. I stood arms over shoulders of a complete stranger who broke down, he was just closest to me, it seemed the right thing to do, it shone a light on humanity, in the most awful of places.

It just showed how hitler did great things, beyond evil things, but massive. It's unbelievable the regime was able to do it.

Edited by kyska

My school runs battlefield tours each year as we believe them to be important enough to justify it. We were also privileged to be invited to take part in the ceremonies to bring soil from the battlefields of Belgium to London, for the construction of the memorial garden. There have also been trips to the camps at Auschwitz though less frequently due to the cost.