Black powder flint lock

Hi all, quick question, do you need a black powder licence to own a reproduction flintlock rifle ? A chap at work is selling one cheap,& i was wondering if i could own it on my SGC. Any help as always greatly appreciated. Cheers Dan.

I pretty sure you can own it, you just won't be able to buy or use blackpowder - You could investigate the nitro PB substitutes (pyrodex etc.) but not sure if you could ignite it with a flint.

BL licence is not hard to obtain.

You only need a black powder licence if you plan to use black powder, it is free but you will need a storage box.i believe from my limited experience that most flintlocks use FFFFg black powder in the pan for easy ignition. The substitutes have a higher ignition temp so may not be ideal for a flintlock in terms of ignition.

You may be able to own on SGC if it's smoothbore and complies with length requirements or if it has a rifled barrel then it'l be FAC. I also believe there may be an issue firing a single solid projectile on SGC.

Wait for Underdog to reply, he's the man!

Edited by Livefast123

You can own the SMOOTH BORED gun on a shotgun certificate, I know because I did inherit 3 of the things. I do not think that you need a licence to buy the black powder BUT you do need a permit from the Health and Safety Exec. to transport it. There are also storage issues which your FEO should be able to assist with. I personally could not be bothered with all of the hassle so quickly got rid. Hope this helps.

A quick re read of the OP and I see he says rifle.Certainly will need an FAC if it is so, rather than a smoothbore musket.

I need an explosives licence to buy and store BP for my pistols but not needed for nitro substitutes.

dan, as its a smoothbore and i would have thought the barell is over 24 inch, your fine on SGC

the BP is no hastle to get... no different to a SGC application and even if the gun is capable of firing BP repalcments (which i think it is not) i would still go down the BP route

Its been covered well.

Just to add, you say it is a reproduction.

That means it will have to go on a shotgun licence.

Can only be hung on a wall after deactivation and passed as such.

Substitute powders are not nitro based and will only work in flintlocks with a pinch of bp down the barrel first and the pan primed with bp too!

You need a bp licence to buy bp and the licence to transport it is combined now.

Flints are readily available.

Have a go, the smoke is more addictive than tobacco!

Cheers for all the info, I was going to just keep it as a collectible, but quite fancy firing it now :-) whats the restrictions regarding use etc ? does it need to be a range,or can you fire them on a farmers field etc like a 12 bore ? do you need a good reason to get the black powder licence ? Again many thanks for all the info & help. Cheers Dan.

Edited by Dan.lord

as long as its a smoothbore then its classed a shotgun with the same controls you have with your 12 bore.

only time you need to use a range really is if your going to fire ball rather than shot as there is a huge safety aspect of firing a half inch or bigger lead ball, i was tempted when i had my .54" ardessa but stuck to number 6.

i applied for my BP licese from south wales police about 18 months ago, forms are available online or from your firearms dept and the application is free. time scale was a touch quicker than the SGC but not a lot... FEO came out for the inspection and chat as with an SGC, he was a geat guy who was interested because i wanted it for hunting rather than the usual re-enactment use. apparently im the first person in south wales to request a license for hunting puposes.

all went well with us spending more time talking about other things rather than the BP license. what he did do was rather than grant for five years was grant for the same time i had left on my SGC so they will run together as he said it wouldnt be right me having a BP license if for some reason i left the SGC go when it expired. i was happy enough with that as it makes sence and i can get both interviews out of the way the same time so its no big deal.

dan, go for it.... my gun (10 bore double) wont get a huge amount of use as they are impracticle compared to a standard cartridge gun but they are SO much fun, and as underdog said the smoke is highly addictive

Edited by kiffy

In the field bud:-)

IMG_0215_zps72e82d65.jpg

Kiffy is a great dude but I disagree with his phrase 'impractical'. Not as convenient maybe but no less inferior, just different and more human based over machine based! I mean you have to fettle and find what works for you and gun as opposed to just handing money over for something a machine has made be it gun or ammo, does that make sense?

Practical food ;-)

IMG_1331_zpse88f7539.jpg

U.

Edited by Underdog

maybe impractical wasnt the right word generally speaking, and i certinly didnt mean it was inferior, i wouldnt have one myself and be looking for a second it it were.

i meant for a lot of people who shoot certain practices or sports it is.. eg, pigeon shooting from a hide, for me and i suspect a lot more people it is impracticle for a days pigeon shooting.. as theres not always going to be time to reload or be able to safely reload without you, the gun or something appearing over the top of the hide... mine will be coming into the hide with me but will be alongside my semi auto

for me a muzzle loader is far more suited to having a wonder through a local farm on a frosty morning and thats what i like them, no, thats what i LOVE them for but not everyone likes rough shooting so for them its not necessarily the best idea

do agree your photos practical food, but i prefer duck myself :)

Edited by kiffy

Kiffy, was not having a go at you bud.

These guns are compared to modern guns to much.

With modern guns the notion of more is better prevails due to the convenience.

I like to not handle large numbers of shot birds any more and find a little and often just as enjoyable.

goodbpday002_zps30ca5f60.jpg

U.

i know one thing... maybe its just me but as much as i love my semi auto for the tool it is, one bird with a muzzle loaders worth twenty with the semi, think the same about 410, love that little gun

Guest cookoff013

i`ve thought about them, but never bothered in the end, i can load BP, substitute and similar nitro loads with the added convenience of "complete cartridge format"

however i do like to see posts from our UD.

@UD.

are you trying to load that squirrel in your gun? wouldnt shot be better?

Nice Musket there :-) Here's a couple of pics of the Brown Bess I'm going to get, he popped it in to work today for me to see.

Brown%20bess%20001.jpg

Brown%20Bess%20002.jpg

Also had a little "go" only with powder though :-) no shot.

Deffo thinking about going for a BP licence now looks fun :-) Underdog, do you need a special safe etc for the powder, or can you store it with ordinary cartridges, I have a lockable safe for them. One other question, might sound silly, but when using shot in a musket how do you load it ? do you wrap it up in paper and ram it down the barrel the same as with a ball etc ?

Cheers Dan.

Here;s a link to a video, I won't post it as the chap filming uses rather fruity language to say the least :-)

http://s74.photobucket.com/user/Danlord40/media/Brown%20Bess%20003.mp4.html

With regards to the black powder storage box,some FEO's insist on it being chained to a radiator or similar so it cannot be walked off with it,but the Fire Brigade recomend the opposite. In the event of a fire they want you to be able to lob it through the nearest window to reduce the risk of explosion.

I made my own box like Underdog and the lid is secured with a 3" screw and my FEO was happy with the arrangement.

Sorry bud, you asked about loading it!

Measure the bore and try to find a leather punch a little larger. You stamp thin cards or leather then for wads. No need for wads as we know.

Alternately source some wads but break them into 1/4" pieces and wet with olive oil to keep the fouling soft.

Making some patch lube from candle wax or animal fat and olive oil will be an advantage. Like if you use just a few thin cards as a wad a blob of this lube between them will keep the foul soft.

Load wise, what you want. Measure a chosen amount of shot and once decided use the same measure for powder or a little less.

For safety have the frizzen up and cock down. If it has a large vent plug with a green twig.

Cleaning, make a jag or loop and plug the vent. I use a whittled stick. Put a wet kitchen cleaning throw away cloth in the barrel to shift the worst. Now keep pouring boiling water in and tipping out. Dry with a dry patch and let the heat do the rest. Use your home made lube to protect the bore. No mineral oil!

Same on outside.

U.