12g Steel Shot

• 3 years later...

hello, i know this is an old post but my interest is trying steel shot,  i have been checking out 2019 prices on cartridges and it looks like many brands will be over £200 per thousand, my usual is the cheap lead 7.5s bin ends from JCs shooting a maximum 35/40 yards over decoys, pigeon/blackies, back to steel shot and looking at these from JC gamebore super steel 7.5 £179, as often the case i buy a 1000 and then a friend or 2 will have a slab or a few boxes cheaper,  so what you reckon to these in my non steel proof old franchi O/U choked 1/4 1/2 ????? cheers       

It goes without saying that the proof of the pudding is in the shooting. But according to Hull their No 7s are Gamebore's No 7&1/2s which are 2.5mm and 423 to the ounce. Consequently, should you share the 0.8 ft lb idea, then you're (in theory anyway) looking at a tad under 30 metres using Gamebore's own velocity figures.

1 hour ago, figgy said:

With 28g of steel 7 your getting a lot in your pattern. Enough on target and they will fall at 40 yards no probs.

If we take into account OPP's choice then this is an example where energy fails before pattern and so at 40 yards it's odds on that those falling will be runners. With Gamebore themselves only offering little more than 0.6 ftlbs at 40 yards, then the energy is not up to scratch and particularly as the blackies are also mentioned. the Hull offering would be a little better but then also bang goes OPP's price break.

56 minutes ago, figgy said:

I think if you want to use steel for decoying pigeon reloading your own with shot to suit how far you shoot might be cheaper.

:good:

No head for business so have no idea if pigeon decoying is peculiar to the UK at our more usual ranges (ie, sub 40 yards) and therefore there would be a supply and demand implication rendering production uneconomic. But given the couple of good reasons why some like to use steel, I can never understand the lack of availability of an English No 6 (0.102") equivalent. At 397 to the ounce, a 28g load of some 390 pellets each weighing some 1.1 grains with some choke would give a good pattern at c40 yards and have just under the 1 ft lb of energy while staying above the magical 600 ft/sec velocity level.

Given how often this discussion crops up here and elsewhere, I can't see why someone can't make a decent profit from such a load - but see opening phrase.

I have been shooting gamebore super steel 32g 4 shot for about 2 yrs , sceptical at first but really got on with them, when roost shooting, the trees are tall but fetched them down and really forgot about being steel, worked well, now im running down on them bought a1000 fiocchi wetland steel 32 in 4 shot, tried them this sunday and noticed they seem to make more of a crack when fired didn't do to well but the jury is out on these , time will tell, anybody else used them, they cost 260 per thousand, and I use b525 sporter 1/2 and 1/4 seems to work for me.

Barbel it's the cost that kills it when looking to use steel.over lead. The shot is cheaper but the wildfowling loads are expensive.

If I was decoying them in closer that 40 yards I'd use 24g 7 shot steel carts.

Roost shooting crowd and pigeons at distance the 4 shot supersteel are good. I like them for ducks.

Lead or steel shot

In England we have to shoot wildfowl with none toxic, In Scotland one can shoot wildfowl over land with lead  and steel over waterways

With the current issues with plastic all over the world ie bottles wrappers etc 

Should this issue not  be addressed with shooters regarding plastic wad carts

I beat on a 7000 acre eastate here in Northumberland who host some big shoots with all types of shooters from lords and lady's and the like and i come to the the latter part of the beat near the guns and the ground is littered with plastic wads being even now worse near the end of the season

I personally use fibre wad all the time as many shoots and land owners do not permit plastic wad

So we have to use non toxic shot over water ways but can shoot plastic wads into the water. I think not

I know this is not in regards to this thread but thought i would put it into the mix And shall start another thread shortly on this issue