Foxing again

WelshMike

Despite getting up at 3.45 am to go crow shooting on saturday I thought it would be worth a quick walk round the nice clear silage fields with the .243. I arrived at 10.00 just as the light was fading. Drove into one of the fields to park up and to my surprise there was a fox mooching about 150 yards away. Fortunately he wasnt bothered by me which gave me time to set the rifle up on top of my pickup. Quick squeak brought him to 70 yards and a 75 grain SST ended his evening foraging. I had a good walk round the ground until about 12.30 and was walking back to the pickup when I spotted a flash of eyes. Checked through the NV to see 3 pretty big cubs charging around. Unfortunately I couldnt get a safe shot due to the lay of the land. The only way I could get the height required was to get the pickup and shoot off the roof. As I arrived back with the pickup the vixen called the cubs back.

All set up and ready to go nothing showed for 30 mins. Over to the foxpro to see what effect this would have. I used the juvenille fox in distress call and within 2 seconds a fox came streaking out of the small woods, shot her about 70 yards in the centre of the head. 20 seconds later another fox appeared about 110 yards away, hit her in the centre of the chest. On inspection the first fox was a barren vixen who was obviously helping look after the cubs due to her reaction to the call, the second vixen was mum, though she was no longer suckling the cubs. Unfortunately no sign of the cubs so I decided to call it a night about 1.45 a.m. Last look saw another fox with a significant limp coming across the field. Stopped him at 170 yards with another chest shot. All in all not a bad nights work with 2 vixens and 2 dogs.

Went out Sunday night to see if I could catch up with the cubs, with no luck. Back again tonight and then I will get a cage trap out for a couple of days followed by the terriers if I havent got them.

Powys-20150524-00110_zpsjtxjnnfo.jpg

You cruel man. Good work Mr. Lord knows what they have snaffled up!

How rude U. I used a .243 not a .22lr so keep such comments to yourself :lol:

i have a busy night tonight. Need to see what the cubs are doing and also have problems at a chicken farm so hopefully some more pics tomorrow. if you are going to respond please keep it civil.

Just an update....back out again last night/ this morning. First glimpse of the cubs at 2.10 a.m. Managed to shoot the first between the bars on the gate he was sat behind, and shot the second 20 minutes later in virtually the same place. To be fair I was only 70 yards away and could clearly see the bars so a nice safe shot.

For obvious reasons I didnt think it appropriate to take or post pics as a 75 grain Hornady SST round from my .243 is very efficient but very messy. Both cubs were in great condition (lots of the crows I have shot have gone into fattening them up by the look of it) and around 10-12 weeks old looking at their size. I will be back over the next couple of nights as I know that there is at least one more left.

Well done mike on the fox how do you get on with the lighter grain bullets in 243 i have only ever used 100 grn

Had some excellent results with the 75 grain rounds out to 260 yards (with the N750a I wouldnt want (or need) to shoot much further). They are pretty catastrophic on impact and certainly do the job.

Good work on the fox Mike and well done on the follow up.

Cheers mate.