Recommendation - .410 for youngsters

Alpha Mule

One thing I would say is to beware the folders. My lad has one of the yildiz folding single barrel .410s (his choice because he tried one and liked it). It's all fine except that he's not learning how to handle a conventionally broken gun, while the spring on the lever which breaks it is so stiff that he struggles to do do it by himself.

He shoots well with it though. Extra long cartridges were bouncing it off his shoulder, but the 12.5g are fine and he hits more than he misses.

I'll be glad to move him up to the wife's 28 gauge 26" spzme, though, which I would have started him on if he hadn't decided he wanted the folding .410.

Get the youngsters hitting targets with a .410 and they will go on to hit more targets as they progress from Gauge to Gauge.

Having a gun that makes the shooter feel comfortable , and brings results on a gently gently basis is far better than rushing them through to a gauge that is not within their capabilities.

You will never loose money on a .410 their are youngster coming through all the time.

Please do not forget you can now achieve a GCSE in Shotgun shooting :good: , so start the training and preparation early, it will be a "homework" they will want to do :lol:

If it gets more kids (AKA the future of our sport) shooting I'm all for it.

As to teaching a child to shoot with a 410 if can select a target and teach them to hit it you should be teaching them IMHO.

My eldest started at 7 yrs Club shooting .22 and now shoots a 12 bore at 16 years, youngest started last summer at 8 as she was much lighter framed. I am not a shotgun coach indeed I am no better than an average shot with a scatter pipe. GCSE should be about real academic study though I even think PE shouldn't be included and I say that myself and i was an outstanding athlete in my youth.

I shouldn't mind betting that almost every kid under 16 that can shoot has a close relative that taught them and encouraged them, the real future of shooting lies elsewhere in the towns and cities with kids that wont be encouraged or even helped along. Its time we admitted that and stopped blowing the wrong trumpet

My daughter did a school shoot day

The teacher that organised it farmed locally, the game farm they visited was our neighbour and most of the kids already knew him by first name already. My daughter came second in the clay shooting beating the lads (proud dad speaking) but bettered by another girl who shoots clays every week and has a personal coach. As great as that is its hardly likely to reverse the class and political trend against shooting and country sports until we do and stop speaking to the converted things wont change, I wonder how many city comprehensives offer GSCE in shooting?

My eldest started at 7 yrs Club shooting .22 and now shoots a 12 bore at 16 years, youngest started last summer at 8 as she was much lighter framed. I am not a shotgun coach indeed I am no better than an average shot with a scatter pipe. GCSE should be about real academic study though I even think PE shouldn't be included and I say that myself and i was an outstanding athlete in my youth.

I shouldn't mind betting that almost every kid under 16 that can shoot has a close relative that taught them and encouraged them, the real future of shooting lies elsewhere in the towns and cities with kids that wont be encouraged or even helped along. Its time we admitted that and stopped blowing the wrong trumpet

My daughter did a school shoot day

The teacher that organised it farmed locally, the game farm they visited was our neighbour and most of the kids already knew him by first name already. My daughter came second in the clay shooting beating the lads (proud dad speaking) but bettered by another girl who shoots clays every week and has a personal coach. As great as that is its hardly likely to reverse the class and political trend against shooting and country sports until we do and stop speaking to the converted things wont change, I wonder how many city comprehensives offer GSCE in shooting?

Over the past couple of years I have had small numbers on the course, it is always done as a one to one and I have a number of youngsters lined up for next years GCSE's already.

If this helps promote the sport of shooting and installs the discipline and life skill then it is a good thing.

Never everyone is an academic, achievement in any field will hopefully lead to achievement in others.

There are a number of none academic GCSE's and have been for a long time.

Edited by bakerboy

I have read all the above with interest, because I am currently teaching my 2 Grandsons to shoot. I will not comment on the calibre debate as I have my own views on that. I 'borrowed' the club .410 Yildiz for the older lad (12) to use as the gun has a 'Junior' stock. Even with the short stock, it still measures 13 1/2", this was causing the heel to be on the upper arm and not in the shoulder. I now plan to have a standard (14 1/2") stock, cut down to 13" for his 28 bore. I later witnessed 2 other Dads' using the same gun with their offsprings, one a little girl, but both of smaller stature than my Grandson. With 14 gram cartridges, even a .410 will recoil and will be felt by a youngster, so please DO consider the fit of the gun when teaching youngsters to shoot. Remember the first outings will decide if they wish to continue, or not, as the case may be.

Then congratulations to your kids - they are clearly far, far better shooters than average, regardless of age. Given that most adults will struggle to hit clays reliably with a .410, if your account is true, it's impressive.

However, I still maintain a 28ga is a starter gun and a .410 is an expert's gun.

eh! wot!!!!

I take it you mean used ? As new 410 and 28g Yildiz are the same price.

Mind you ammo for a 28g is 30p a box more expensive

Searched on Gun trader for Folding, OU, Pump, Semi, Single Shot

The cheapest new Yildiz 28g SPZ M Junior I found was £475

No Baikal show up.

The cheapest (same search criteria) .410 produces:

Baikal £150

Yildiz £175

Same criteria for just Yildiz, both calibre produces:

410 - £175

28 - £475.

Second hand produced

410 - £175

28 - £595

Can you point me at your RFD for comparison please?

Edited by Alpha Mule

There is a Revo .410 for sale on Gun trader at £300.00.

Shorten the stock and barrel a little (cost £40/£60.00) and you will have a great starter gun, retain the wood for growth or for when it is sold.

I use one of these for coaching the kids and it works really well.

As above I use a few 410 single and OUs all need the stock shortening, and a bit of the barrels to make them handle for a kid not adult correctly.

The youth thing is a marketing ploy IMHO as kids come in all shapes and sizes so 1 gun can't fit them all.

Certainly my 16 yr old girl has very similar fit to me bar the female stocking issue yet the wife? well you can see the top of her head pretty much over the rib

Searched on Gun trader for Folding, OU, Pump, Semi, Single Shot

The cheapest new Yildiz 28g SPZ M Junior I found was £475

No Baikal show up.

The cheapest (same search criteria) .410 produces:

Baikal £150

Yildiz £175

Same criteria for just Yildiz, both calibre produces:

410 - £175

28 - £475.

Second hand produced

410 - £175

28 - £595

Can you point me at your RFD for comparison please?

Cheapest on Gunstar folding 28g single £185

O/U folder £225

Remington Sparton £495

Guntrader o/u Investarm £275