Do You Have A Goto Rifle!

Elk hunter

Goto Rifle.

I'm fortunate to own a good collection of rifles for vermin and deer but alway go to two in the collection 80% of the time.

But in my c/f collection for deer I can use .223, 243, 25-06, 257, 6.5 &308. But my 308 TRG only gets used for park deer, stunning old Steyr 243 only goes out if the sun shines, 257 WMag (let's not go there) 6.5 not enough love and so on.

Till I get to my Tika S/S in 25-06 bought 17 years back s/h from minsterly ranges. Still has the old 6x42 swarovski with 26mm tube on that I fitted the day I bought it. Took it for a spin yesterday and off the roof of the van using 100 sp home loads still key hole 2 rounds @ 100 yards.

It's accounted for more deer than I can remember, when going north it always comes with me even if when I take other rifles with me it will always come out the slip. It's old, not perticularly pretty but so reliable, it's my goto rifle as the rest seem to be luxury items.

Do you have one!

Andrew

Two 25cal but only one got too.

a83c7939aadf19c51920649cd9346ad1.jpg

Not go to, as I always chopped and changed over the years. I do have fond memories of a couple of favourites I should of kept.

A mint early nineties BDL in 222 and a w94 trapper in 30/30 that even a rat would be unsafe from at 150yds.

Minsterly, was that when Mitch was running it?

U.

Over the years I have chopped and changed rifles. Based on what I learned in that process I knew what I wanted to have.

I now have a Winchester 9422 and a 9422M plus a CZ Scout in .22lr.

They do what I want and I am happy with them, no intention to change any of them.

But I am British (now) !!!!

Oh and here is how it shoots 3 shots at 100M off a bipod . The coin is a 5p

<script pagespeed_no_defer="" type="text/javascript">//=d.offsetWidth&&0>=d.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{c=d.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=c.top+("pageYOffset"in window?window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);c=c.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+c;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.e.height&&c<=b.e.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.d[e]=!0)};p.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&q(this,b)};h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){n.checkImageForCriticality(b)});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){r(n)});var r=function(b){b.b={};for(var d=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],c=0;c=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.g&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(s())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),d=!0);t=a;if(d){c=b.f;b=b.h;var f;if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch(k){try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(u){}}f&&(f.open("POST",c+(-1==c.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}},s=function(){var b={},d=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(0==d.length)return{};var a=d[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var c=0;a=d[c];++c){var e=a.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0=b[e].k&&a.height>=b[e].j)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b},t="";h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return t});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,d,a,c,e,f){var k=new p(b,d,a,e,f);n=k;c&&m(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){r(k)},0)})});})();pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?s=668cad141c13d452d4d223068dcc150f&app=forums&module=ajax§ion=topics&do=quote&t=314813&p=2849224&md5check=71cfd74dabbfbc2aaa8a4d699b6196b1&isRte=1,l8PuqRhht8,true,false,feAvoGP7WtQ');//]]></script> IMG_2379_zpsascpbmak.jpg&&0

Come on we all no a group is 5 shots where the other two end up :ninja:

I tend to carry different rifles for different jobs at different times of year.

Until about June I usually carry a 17AH on my trap round, its great crow killer. One the hay starts coming down then we are more likely to see fox, so its 6PPC. Night lamping 20BR, its to heavy to carry but ideal for foxes when you are a bit unsure of the distance, a drive round during the day with it can upset crows a fair way out. Rabbits on stubble, 22LR semi. Deer 6PPC.

A

I am on a far smaller scale than most of yu guys with no deer and very few fox so my go to rifle is my FAC Daystate Huntsman Classic, geat for round the farms and shoot as I can take all the pest and vermin I encounter bar the fox and there are two lads with CF ment to do all the fox work so I leave that to them !

ATB

Matt

Can't see past the .270

I have chopped and changed rifles and scopes in all my calibres

had two .243's

two 308's

three .222's

all the rimfires

but i have one rifle that just stays as it is

my first real CF purchase

a .270 John Dixon Parker Hale with matching numbers, not screw cut! heaven forbid.

wears a Meopta 6x42 and only shoots 130gr SP's

I fully stripped and fettled it when it arrived, reblued barrel action, nitreblued bolt and fixtures, oil finished stock, new butt pad

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php/31930-rifle-restoration-project/page5?highlight=john+dickson+.270

will never sell it

Edited by Bewsher500

I have chopped and changed rifles and scopes in all my calibres

had two .243's

two 308's

three .222's

all the rimfires

but i have one rifle that just stays as it is

my first real CF purchase

a .270 John Dixon Parker Hale with matching numbers, not screw cut! heaven forbid.

wears a Meopta 6x42 and only shoots 130gr SP's

I fully stripped and fettled it when it arrived, reblued barrel action, nitreblued bolt and fixtures, oil finished stock, new butt pad

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php/31930-rifle-restoration-project/page5?highlight=john+dickson+.270

will never sell it

Nice! I also use a .22-250 on the roe but the .270 just gives me confidence. Can't see me getting rid of it.