Business question

Archie-fox

Hi all

So my girlfriend is a podiatrist and works from a sports physio shop where she rents a room 2 days per week, so she's seen another shop she may buy and open it up as a podiatrist and chiropodist...over the 3 years she's been at her currant place she has built up a client base who she sees on a regular basis..she has spoke to the owners about leaving and they have said they would replace her using the details of the clients that are on the computer and bring in another podiatrist..

My question is can they contact her patients saying she has moved on but they can still offer the service with a new podiatrist?? Even tho she has brought them in and expanded the podiatry service...

She feels if she moves on the owners at her currant place will steal her clients..

She doesn't have any contract or anything to say they are her clients...

Any advice from the PW crew? I'm thinking she will just have to take it on the chin..

Would be surprised if she could stop them from taking her clients if her relationship with the other business is not bound by a contract which covers such a move.

I'd get an email blast, leaflet and telephone ring-round started to each of the clients to update them about the new address and telephone details for her business and to make them aware that anything they receive from the other business is nothing to do with her.

Hopefully by getting in there first she can redirect all customers before they are pinched. Maybe offer them an incentive like 20% of their next session at her new premises or have a little opening party and invite all her valued customers for a glass of bubbly.

Would be surprised if she could stop them from taking her clients if her relationship with the other business is not bound by a contract which covers such a move.

I'd get an email blast, leaflet and telephone ring-round started to each of the clients to update them about the new address and telephone details for her business and to make them aware that anything they receive from the other business is nothing to do with her.

Hopefully by getting in there first she can redirect all customers before they are pinched. Maybe offer them an incentive like 20% of their next session at her new premises or have a little opening party and invite all her valued customers for a glass of bubbly.

That's just what I told her...business is business at the end of the day...

If she rented the room and was working for herself, how come her client details are on another business' computer?

Regardless, as above, get her to grab her clients and take them with her, by whatever (legal) means. And only use her own computer/internet in future!

If she rented the room and was working for herself, how come her client details are on another business' computer?

Regardless, as above, get her to grab her clients and take them with her, by whatever (legal) means. And only use her own computer/internet in future!

There on it from when people phone up to book in, or just walk through the door...the reception girl inputs the details in the computer so that's how they have done it...they must have 500 or so client details that she has brought to the business...

She probably needs to offer some incentives for clients to come to the new shop like some freebies etc

She needs a very good campaign to retain as many as possible.

I'd look at a loyalty card with one free session after say 6 paid ones ..... all bookings in a certain time (say for the first month at the new address) get an extra rubber stamp as a visit etc if you see what I mean ....

There on it from when people phone up to book in, or just walk through the door...the reception girl inputs the details in the computer so that's how they have done it...they must have 500 or so client details that she has brought to the business...

So, somehow or other she's going to have to get that list off that computer. Let's hope she kept a duplicate, because if I was the computer owner I wouldn't let her anywhere near it from now on!

As above, unless there is a contract in place with the shop that places restrictions on her, then she should ring round/email/mail all her existing customers to let them know she is moving

If it is going to be a month or two before she moves then get her to hand out leaflets to all her customers as she sees them too.

Edited by grrclark

The shop are very slack if they haven't got some form of protection in place. If the client data base is on their computer be careful how you lift the data because it could be argued that its their property. That wouldn't stop me taking it mind you

+1

A good idea for the future is to get all new and existing clients to fill in a 'medical questionaire' form which she keeps. Couch it questions like are you allergic to anything and are you taking any medication which makes it look like a fairly standard disclaimer/release form but the real deal is the address and phone no.