FIRST FLYING SHOW TIPS? ??

bazzab

Hi all.

Me and the wife are off to Duxford tomorrow for the flying legends.

Never been to a flying show before.

We have comfy folding chairs, my SLR and food and what not.

Any tips from anyone? Where to sit where no to what to take etc?

Many thanks in advance

Bazza.

If you have sport mode on your camera,save some heartache and use it,use a fast speed for jets,but remember that if you take a pic of a helicopter slow your shutter speed down to show a bit of blur on the rotor blades.Track whatever you want to shoot until you get the pic you want to snap.

A Hawker Hunter i took today in Swansea, i think the most beautiful jet ever made. these were taken at approx 1000th sec

airshow%207%20full-M.jpg

airshow%203%20full-M.jpg

airshow%204%20copy-M.jpg

airshow%201%20copy-M.jpg

airshow%209%20copy-M.jpg

Head to the land museum end of the runway and sit on the bank. You get the take offs or landings (depending on wind direction) almost going over your head. Get there early though most people head there to save their spot.

Don't sit next to the fence as you'll get swamped by people with ladders trying to take pics over your head.

Take lots of drinks and food and stand your ground!

Sit back and enjoy the show.......it really is fantastic, but very very busy.

Don't expect to get out quickly, either leave slightly early or stay later and view the museum then.

Hope this helps, I've been a few times and the best times were spent on the bank!

Steve

Believe it or not i was about 2 miles away from where the main arena was,but the jets were coming out to turn round for their next run and we were there,and if you are using a dslr with a half decent lens you should be able to crop and bring them closer.Mine were taken with a Canon 7D and a tamron sp 70-300mm lens.having auto focus and anti shake is a real bonus.

At air shows the planes tend to try and find centre to please the crowed, but if they are taking off and landing close by that is probably the best place to be or if you have to be by the crowd,then on the edges,planes have to turn and go past the crowd.

Ear defenders or plugs. Jets can be so loud that they hurt. Binos so that you can see into the distance and when paras are at high altitude. Wet gear or / and an umbrella in case of a shower. There is nowhere to go if it rains. Keeps the rain off and provides top cover from the heat and sun. Food and drink. These cost a bomb and sometimes you can’t move or you loose your place to queue up for an hour to get a burger & coke. Don’t get separated, as it can be almost impossible to move around in the crowd to find one another again. Mark where the car is parked. Just odd stuff that we take to cover a multitude of events. Slacken springs before you get there and know where the nearest bog is. Have a great day.

The forecast for Cambridge isn't out yet but Stansted is:

TAF AMD EGSS 120621Z 1206/1312 23008KT 9999 FEW012 SCT045 TEMPO 1206/1212 8000 -RA BKN012 PROB30 TEMPO 1206/1212 BKN008 TEMPO 1212/1221 7000 SHRA PROB30 TEMPO 1212/1219 3000 +SHRA BKN014CB PROB30 TEMPO 1219/1306 BKN014 TEMPO 1306/1312 7000 RA BKN010

Hope this helps ;)

In plain English, this morning expect visibility 8000m, broken cloud at 1200ft, sometimes 800. In the afternoon, visibility reduced to 7000m, showers/rain with a 30% chance of thunderstorms, reducing visibility to 3000m.

There is a lot to see in the hangers there if it really does get bad but be prepared for Great English Summer Weather and you will have a good time anyhow.

Don't know if there are any still flying but the Harrier was always my favourite. If you get the chance go to see one go to a show with a runway because the engines overheat in hover mode and the show is much longer if they can just land afterward rather than have to fly off to a distant base.

You won't see a harrier in the UK anymore, they have all gone, only chance you'll get is in a museum now. They get 90 second of hover as the water used to keep the engines cool runs out after this.

Question to the OP, how did you get on at Duxford?

Well we got up, checked the weather.... Mmmm wasn't looking good. But carried on regardless.

Arrived near Duxford, absolute madness. The closer we got the worse it was.

I had no idea it was such a big show.

As much as I hate to admit it.....

We left. The sheer quantity of people was insane.

We are going to do a few of the smaller ones we think. That was a bit hardcore for us.

Sorry chaps.

Airbourne (Eastbourne air show) is always good. Air show every day from Thursday to Sunday (and then fireworks), lots to see and do and along the beach so completely free. If you want a relaxed week in a B+B or hotel or just a day out it's hard to beat. You won't find the fanatics at Airbourne.

http://www.visiteastbourne.com/airbourne/AirbourneFlying.aspx

Just found out the fireworks are switched to Saturday. The Reds are back this year and the Vulcan is flying.

Spain and the U.S. still operate Harriers. A Spanish one was displayed at Farnborough last year.

Another place I would recommend is the Shuttleworth Trust at Old Warden, particularly as it is on your doorstep. Their collection of Edwardian aeroplanes are only flown on a still summer evening, at the end of one of the shows.

Nick

It's a shame you didn't go but I find the older I get the less tolerance I have to any large events and the chaos that goes with them. Resulting in me just saying "I can't be bothered". I think we Brits are also useless at organising events as the organisers don't care about how people get in/out just the 'show' itself.

It's a shame you didn't go but I find the older I get the less tolerance I have to any large events and the chaos that goes with them. Resulting in me just saying "I can't be bothered". I think we Brits are also useless at organising events as the organisers don't care about how people get in/out just the 'show' itself.

Spain and the U.S. still operate Harriers. A Spanish one was displayed at Farnborough last year.

Another place I would recommend is the Shuttleworth Trust at Old Warden, particularly as it is on your doorstep. Their collection of Edwardian aeroplanes are only flown on a still summer evening, at the end of one of the shows.

Nick

+1

Got the fright of my life the first time I went

I didn't realise that most of the fragile ones don't fly, they just fast taxi them, I watched one and thought it would never get airborne ,

It never did it just fast taxi'd and stopped