New permission question

Rst1990

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

kind of agree with fenboy,otherwise whats stopping me shooting pigeons in my garden 'as their probably on way to eat farmers crops'??just a thought??

:yahoo: At last , you cannot shoot them there even though you have permission if they are not causing any damage or disease .

I on the other hand can shoot them in my garden ( not that I do ) because land I have permission on runs up to my fence and the pigeon leave my garden to feed on the crops.

:yahoo: At last , you cannot shoot them there even though you have permission if they are not causing any damage or disease .

I on the other hand can shoot them in my garden ( not that I do ) because land I have permission on runs up to my fence and the pigeon leave my garden to feed on the crops.

but with your interpretation it would still be illegal to shoot them as how do you know their going to feed on your fields. It's not about proving their causing damage it's more about proving their not causing damage which is near on impossible .

which bit of the GL states pooping = able to shoot??

Possibly the disease aspect , though you may be pushing it by claiming a couple of woodies pooping on your lawn is going to do anyone any harm .

I would point out I have no issue with anyone shooting them in their garden for any reason if they are put to use , it is up to the individual to satisfy themselves they are acting legally .

but with your interpretation it would still be illegal to shoot them as how do you know their going to feed on your fields. It's not about proving their causing damage it's more about proving their not causing damage which is near on impossible .

Perhaps because I am able to sit and watch them leave my garden for the field , and as I have permission to shoot over those fields then I can legally shoot them , I would still be able to shoot them if they were just passing over the field and not causing damage on the assumption they may do ( same as shooting stubble or roosting)

If however I did not have that permission things MAY be different.

Possibly the disease aspect , though you may be pushing it by claiming a couple of woodies pooping on your lawn is going to do anyone any harm .

I would point out I have no issue with anyone shooting them in their garden for any reason if they are put to use , it is up to the individual to satisfy themselves they are acting legally .

me neither i was just thinking hypothetically,can be quite vague reading throught the GL,be interesting what reply you get back from NE

Yes it will be interesting , at the end of the day I do not particulary give a fig if others comply with the licence with regard to shooting pigeons or not , that is a matter for them and if I comply or not is a matter for me which is why until clarified I will interpret the licence to way I do .

from -

Health hazards posed by feral pigeons.
Haag-Wackernagel, Moch H.

The most commonly transmitted pathogens continue to be Chlamydophila psittaci and Cryptococcus neoformans. Although feral pigeons pose sporadic health risks to humans, the risk is very low, even for humans involved in occupations that bring them into close contact with nesting sites. In sharp contrast, the immunocompromised patient may have a nearly 1000-fold greater risk of acquiring mycotic disease from feral pigeons and their excreta than does the general population.

from -

Health hazards posed by feral pigeons.
Haag-Wackernagel, Moch H.

The most commonly transmitted pathogens continue to be Chlamydophila psittaci and Cryptococcus neoformans. Although feral pigeons pose sporadic health risks to humans, the risk is very low, even for humans involved in occupations that bring them into close contact with nesting sites. In sharp contrast, the immunocompromised patient may have a nearly 1000-fold greater risk of acquiring mycotic disease from feral pigeons and their excreta than does the general population.

Unfortunately, this says nowt about woodpigeons.

Perhaps because I am able to sit and watch them leave my garden for the field , and as I have permission to shoot over those fields then I can legally shoot them , I would still be able to shoot them if they were just passing over the field and not causing damage on the assumption they may do ( same as shooting stubble or roosting)

If however I did not have that permission things MAY be different.

shooting pigeons on the assumption they will be causing damage isn't good enough for your interpretation . I have fields 1 mile away from my house with peas so Im assuming every pigeon that visits my garden is damaging that crop of peas.

shooting pigeons on the assumption they will be causing damage isn't good enough for your interpretation . I have fields 1 mile away from my house with peas so Im assuming every pigeon that visits my garden is damaging that crop of peas.

Then you can shoot them if you so wish !

I do not think you have understood my original posts , which was regarding someone who has no crops to protect at all on either his own land or anyone elses , he is assuming he can shoot them because they are causing crop damage "somewhere" even though it is on land he has not been asked to protect .

If you did not have those peas a mile from your house or even five miles from your house or any where else you could not shoot the pigeon in your garden for crop protection

Again as above I do not have to assume that pigeon in my garden are damaging crops I can shoot because I can watch them do it !

What ever it all means don't matter when they poop on the path to my front door (not on the grass and a dozen wood pigeons or more) and at night when you can not see it it gets paddled in the house!

We tolerate it so long but usually have a thin twice a year.

Judge away, whatever the judgement, I won't be telling the Mrs you guys say tough!

I must say that your posts about the pigeons in your garden made me chuckle Fenboy,

How can you prove that the pigeon you just shot was about to go onto the field next door to feed on the crops? Now its dead it cant feed anywhere...

If the farmer next door had harvested his crops, would it now be illegal in your view to shoot the pigeon?

If someone shoots a pigeon and finds only acorns in its crop, have they broken the law in your view?

David

I must say that your posts about the pigeons in your garden made me chuckle Fenboy,

How can you prove that the pigeon you just shot was about to go onto the field next door to feed on the crops? Now its dead it cant feed anywhere...

If the farmer next door had harvested his crops, would it now be illegal in your view to shoot the pigeon?

If someone shoots a pigeon and finds only acorns in its crop, have they broken the law in your view?

David

You are making some assumptions about me David .

Firstly you are assuming I shoot pigeons in my garden , which I choose not too .

I will however shoot pigeons that are over the fence on the crops , some of these drop onto the crop from my garden , so I know they are feeding on the crop because they are doing so when I shoot them , simple hey !

My understanding is that birds can be shot on stubble on which you have permission to protect future crops , or other crops that are on the land , the key being you do have some permissions to protect crops on.

As you along with others seem to be struggling with the concept , let me give you a couple of scenarios .

First one .

You have nowhere to shoot other than a old industrial site that now consists of nothing but 10 acres of concrete , obviously it has no crops growing on it , but this is all you have , you do not have any other land with crops on at all anywhere.

But you are in luck , there is a fantastic flight of woodpigeon flying over your concrete to feed on a field two miles away that you cannot shoot on .

Can you shoot these flighting pigeon over you concrete while complying with the GL04 for crop protection ?

Second .

You have no permissions at all , but you have a nice large garden like myself which is often visited by a pigeon or two , they do no harm in your garden , you do not grow veg and they are not causing a mess but you do like to shoot them with your airgun .

So are you complying with GL04 if you shoot them in such circumstances .

By yours and most's logic the answer would be yes as they are causing damage "somewhere" even though you have nowhere else to shoot.

My logic tells me you cannot shoot them in either circumstance and comply with the licence.

Anyway lets wait and see what natural england say , it could be up to 10 days according to the email.

What ever it all means don't matter when they poop on the path to my front door (not on the grass and a dozen wood pigeons or more) and at night when you can not see it it gets paddled in the house!

We tolerate it so long but usually have a thin twice a year.

Judge away, whatever the judgement, I won't be telling the Mrs you guys say tough!

No one is judging anyone Underdog , you do as you please I really do not care what anyone else does including the OP , I am just trying to clarify that he may not be covered by the GL in such circumstances it's up to him what he wishes to do.

No one is judging anyone Underdog , you do as you please I really do not care what anyone else does including the OP , I am just trying to clarify that he may not be covered by the GL in such circumstances it's up to him what he wishes to do.

May not be covered in crop protection as my fields are 5miles away, so the pest act sounds good to me.

Thank you for raising your concerns and have put it to thought.

If you have other fields to shoot that do have crops on then even if they are 5 miles away my understanding is you would be covered , even if you were shooting elsewhere ( on your cow fields ) .

Please do not think that my ramblings were based on you in particular they are not , I am just trying to point out things are not just as simple as being able to shoot pigeon where ever they may be and conform with the general licence, again I may be right or I could be wrong but I just cannot see where you can possibly conform in some circumstances.

If you have other fields to shoot that do have crops on then even if they are 5 miles away my understanding is you would be covered , even if you were shooting elsewhere ( on your cow fields ) .

Please do not think that my ramblings were based on you in particular they are not , I am just trying to point out things are not just as simple as being able to shoot pigeon where ever they may be and conform with the general licence, again I may be right or I could be wrong but I just cannot see where you can possibly conform in some circumstances.

I farm beef and sheep which graze my grass. My grass is the cornerstone of my livlihood and I protect it from pigeons who, at certain times of the year, have the audacity to land on it and eat the clover.

If you didn't realise it, clover, which is part of my grass mix, is a crop and therefore covered by the GL. I for one, would be very peaved if amatures, such as yourself, start opening cans of worms with NE by suggesting pasture is not to be considered a crop and by default can not be protected.

Farmers and land managers can do without such meddiling thank you. There is no such thing as cow fields, they are fields growing a crop of grass which is being grazed by cows. Grass is a valuable crop.

Pigeons can be shot under the GL regardless of where they are, provided you have the rights to shoot an the land you are shooting on and provided when asked you show you understand the GL and why you are allowed to shoot pigeons - as pests with the potential to cause harm to crops etc. as per the wording on the GL. It is as simple as that.

I farm beef and sheep which graze my grass. My grass is the cornerstone of my livlihood and I protect it from pigeons who, at certain times of the year, have the audacity to land on it and eat the clover.

If you didn't realise it, clover, which is part of my grass mix, is a crop and therefore covered by the GL. I for one, would be very peaved if amatures, such as yourself, start opening cans of worms with NE by suggesting pasture is not to be considered a crop and by default can not be protected.

Farmers and land managers can do without such meddiling thank you. There is no such thing as cow fields, they are fields growing a crop of grass which is being grazed by cows. Grass is a valuable crop.

I am sure it is , but I have shot sveral 100,000 pigeon over the years and have never seen one stuffed with grass , best spread some clover seed