land rover series 3 88" csw restoration project.

viking

the width of the tyres dont look right.....wheel rims look the right colour but is the width right for the period...................

just a thought................when i was working abroad all the landies we took delivery of had radials on them.........we stripped them all off and replaced them with crossply......from then Goodyear............the ride on rough and metal roads was far superior.....we used the drop the pressures to 15lbs/sq/" then up it if we went on long trips on tarmac to 30psi..........trouble with crossply was rounderbouts and sharp corners....oh err mrs !........but the ride was much better than radial............

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

if you want to be "anal" about the springs...take them apart ...clean them reassemble them and immerse them in boiling (or near to) hot grease...then let them cool ..wipe the excess off and put leather boots on them....they used to have that option on the old top of the range Humber cars.....no sqeaks....they just used the float gracefully down the road..............

sorry, dont do "anal" :lol::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::whistling:

Edited by viking

is it best to leave galvi chassis as is, or paint it black? i personally would like it painted, not sure i like to see a galvi chassis as a finished product,

Mine is galv , but I would be happy if it was black

but galv it must be

I wouldn't have bought it without a galv chassis

I can see yours will be a 'keeper', but keep an eye on the costs :yes:

Mine is galv , but I would be happy if it was black

but galv it must be

I wouldn't have bought it without a galv chassis

I can see yours will be a 'keeper', but keep an eye on the costs :yes:

im committed now, it will cost what it costs, but i will do my best to keep costs down but not at the expense of cutting corners,

you only live once, or as my 12yo son says "YOLO" :lol:

thats far beyond my ability's im afraid, i will be getting someone else to do that,

thats rubbish talk................you have got this far............its going to cost you pennies to get some mapp gas and aluminum laser brand or similar rods...get some scrap aluminium...watch the video you might surprise yourself..................

This is a cool thread, I'm loving it.

I live 2 mins away from from the Huddersfield Land Rover centre where one of the pics you've put up was taken.

Did you say you want some pics for originality?

If they have owt in ill happy takes some pics of it and post them on here.

I have to say I do not like that colour.....

thats far beyond my ability's im afraid, i will be getting someone else to do that,

I taught my 14 year old daughter how to Lumiweld 3mm aluminium angle section using a MAPP torch for a school project in about 30 minutes.

It really is a doddle and will save you pounds compared to farming it out to a "proper" welder

Edited by amateur

I taught my 14 year old daughter how to Lumiweld 3mm aluminium angle section using a MAPP torch for a school project in about 30 minutes.

It really is a doddle and will save you pounds compared to farming it out to a "proper" welder

Thats it i remember the thread....................................we have got to get him to do this...........viking is spending all this money ...and he is happy with that rivet mend he did...............sorry that is not on.........

so viking do as you are told and get the details from amateur.............. :good:

Unless I'm mistaken, Viking did not do the 'Rivet Repair', he said it had been crudely repaired. I may be wrong, can't be bothered to re-read the thread.

Mike.

i stand corrected....its a repair he found...................if viking learns to metal braze it will save a fair chunk of money...its not rocket science...............

i would love to give it ago,iv time to do it and im eager to learn and do as much as poss on my own, i never thought id be able to do what iv already done, its not much but iv surprised myself so far,

with the help of you guys i will definitely give it ago,

thanks.

lee

This is a cool thread, I'm loving it.

I live 2 mins away from from the Huddersfield Land Rover centre where one of the pics you've put up was taken.

Did you say you want some pics for originality?

If they have owt in ill happy takes some pics of it and post them on here.

I have to say I do not like that colour.....

if you could daveo that would be great, when i got mine it had a poor carpet in the back up the back of the rear tub and under the rear seats, i know the csw was carpeted but to what extent i dont know, also how much carpeting should go in the front and around the seat box, the doors were even carpeted, and im sure they should have door cards on, just things like that that i want to get right, so it would have to be a csw model. they have one in the same as mine that there doing up,

thanks.

lee

thats rubbish talk................you have got this far............its going to cost you pennies to get some mapp gas and aluminum laser brand or similar rods...get some scrap aluminium...watch the video you might surprise yourself..................

youtube here i come :good:

just watched a few vids on youtube, looks brilliant and bot that hard, and it even repairs holes, :good::good:

Like all skills, it just takes a little practice.

I've used it to repair chain-cases, centre stands and even a brake back-plate on the bikes and fabricated any number of bits and bobs