land rover series 3 88" csw restoration project.

viking

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What will you do when this is finished? Can you contemplate selling it?

Someone bought me Ben Fogle's Land Rover book for Christmas, it's not a bad read, makes you quite nostalgic and realise how much of an icon these vehicles are. Second thoughts, don't read it if you are thinking about selling!

when its finished i will be having a short rest, then i will be getting my garage in order, then it will be decision time, series 1, or try something a bit more simple like a motor bike, first job i think will be a Yamaha TY 175 for myself, and it will be hard to let this go but that was always the plan :unhappy::unhappy:

do tell, it wont take much to put me off another big project,

more detail/reasons the better :good::good:

Sourcing parts is the main issue as unlike Series 3 bits you can't fill your boots at Paddocks. Also when I had finished mine I apparently had the wrong year door hinges on and it took me nearly 4 months to find the correct year ones. I spent close to 20K on mine as the rebuild run away but managed to break even when i sold it for £25K. (I'll try to dig out some pics). If you want a S1 buy one and just drive it.

Sourcing parts is the main issue as unlike Series 3 bits you can't fill your boots at Paddocks. Also when I had finished mine I apparently had the wrong year door hinges on and it took me nearly 4 months to find the correct year ones. I spent close to 20K on mine as the rebuild run away but managed to break even when i sold it for £25K. (I'll try to dig out some pics). If you want a S1 buy one and just drive it.

spot on... :good: .....as said if you do a seris 1.......it has got to be true....even the PROPER rivets and number....cant use a replacement rad has got to be the proper thing.........this is going to be a sourcing nightmare............

as fuji said buy a dererlict seris 1...make it sound ...and enjoy it

as i said before get a short wheelbase seris 3...and make it into a full soft top and spray it to original "iceberg" colour....you already have the experience on this model....and when done IT WILL BE VERY VERY SELLABLE....if you want to sell it....also put an original capstan winch on it...it will be a joy to behold...

iv heard parts are a begger to get hold of, sounds like a bit of a chore to me, think i will give up on that idea, still want one at some point in my life to have for myself,

and if ever i do get another land rover it would be another 300 TDI, csw like my last one, if i still had that it would be worth about £12.000-£15.000 i recon, 1 previous owner, FSH and 50 odd thousand on the clock, :yes::yes:

iv heard parts are a begger to get hold of, sounds like a bit of a chore to me, think i will give up on that idea, still want one at some point in my life to have for myself,

and if ever i do get another land rover it would be another 300 TDI, csw like my last one, if i still had that it would be worth about £12.000-£15.000 i recon, 1 previous owner, FSH and 50 odd thousand on the clock, :yes::yes:

get a seris 1 (if you can)...trashed off road barn find......then do enough to get it running...then enjoy it......and do things to it bit by bit over a long period of time.....

i saw that series 1 yesterday when i looked on there site, and looked at the bit where they say, we will buy your land rover, dont really fancy selling it to someone else so they can make on it, unless i got what i wanted for it, but i will inquire what they will give me for it when its done,

and that S3 is on ebay, and saw it in the classic land rover mag a while back :good::good:

The thing that I do not get is why people want to keep everything as stock I suppose it is down to from when I was young way back in the 50s I always loved American hotrods so whilst loving to look of old cars/trucks I could never understand why people would spend a load of money doing up a car and keep all of the bad things in it.

Mind you I like the idea of being able to use things not just look at them and have people say you have done a good job there it looks like new well the reason that we are not all driving around in 1950 cars and trucks is they was uncomfortable to drive had little power and kept braking down or would not start in the morning as the good old dynamos are rubbish.

I would do a Mk 1 landy but swap out all of the dodgy old stuff for things that work and make it fun to drive with the speed and power brakes that all modern cars have today and then use it every day not only on dry days in the summer sorry I just do not get that.

i think its a land rover thing, they are what they are and as long as there are people paying silly money for them people will continue doing them up to original standards, as you say a series one as a daily drive would be no fun whatsoever,or any series land rover come to think of it, a weekend run around in the summer and its a different story :good::good:

If anyone has the skill the space and money to do it rather than having to pay out stupid road tax every year a nice 25 year old car truck landrovers and Jeeps are good as you can still get most of the parts Ie new galvanized chassis and body parts but replace the doggy old parts with modern power stirring and brakes I would go with an auto gearbox electrics etc and you have a good looking but usable truck that is nice to drive and you do not have to pay road tax ether.

If anyone has the skill the space and money to do it rather than having to pay out stupid road tax every year a nice 25 year old car truck landrovers and Jeeps are good as you can still get most of the parts Ie new galvanized chassis and body parts but replace the doggy old parts with modern power stirring and brakes I would go with an auto gearbox electrics etc and you have a good looking but usable truck that is nice to drive and you do not have to pay road tax ether.

the problem there is a car that applies for zero tax has to have a certain % of original parts...and certain parts attract certain %ages..........

i like stock vehicles.....you wouldnt buy an original Sopwith Camel circa 1917...and stick a 300 HP Rotax engine in it..and a cockpit canopy made from plexiglass complete with heating and stereo.....

i understand what you are saying but i think i prefer to experience the originality and the history...........................

the landrover i have is the year that i had been looking for as it was the crossover period from the seris the the modern landrover we have now...it has (for then) the new chassis and coil spring arrangement and it has the old style desiel engine that the redesign work had started which went on to become project gemini ie: the 200 seris...so i have the best of both worlds..............