Well that didnt take long... Have bought something already...!

PaulJC

Well, those that have been following have seen that i've been eagerly awaiting my SGC dropping through my door, which it did this morning :)

That took 11 Weeks to the day from posting my application so not bad at all, i didn't have a cabinet fitted for my initial FLO visit as i wanted to make sure it was being granted first so i had to have a return visit and my shifts made planing these visits a bit of a nightmare but i have nothing for praise for Beds & Herts so far, had the cabinet been installed already and had a job where i got decent days off this time scale would have been less i have no doubt of that...

Well, as it turns out I was on a rest day today, had my new shiney SGC and some money burning a hole in my pocket, so it'd have been rude not to at least go and have a look at some guns right?!

Well, i have handled a Lanber Sporting already and they seemed to fit well and budget wise for my first gun they seemed spot on so i went in search of having another look at one today before i made my mind up, found a few on GunTrader, wrote them down and decided i was going to have a day driving round some local (and not so local in the end) gun shops...

1st place i went too which was nearest to me had a Sporting Deluxe at the upper end of my budget, very little information on GunTrader and no pictures, but it was close to home so i figured that would be my first port of call, very nice gun but for that money i was hoping for the later model with 3" chambers and a set of chokes etc, unfortunately it was none of these so i decided to keep looking...

2nd place was the same, an earlier gun, not the delux model (not that i have a clue what the differences are lol) with 2 3/4" chambers (not a big deal, but this will be my only gun for a while so it'd be handy to have the option), mid budget at this one did have the chokes with it but again i walked away giving me time to have a think about it...

By this time i'd already written off the day as a 'Gun day' so decided to take a gamble and visit a gun shop a bit further away, I called ahead to make sure that the gun in question was still in stock, a later Lanber Sporting Delux, 3" chambers, with 5 chokes and a choke key, the only downside being the fact it was 80 miles away, times like this i'm glad i have an economical car :)

Well i arrived at 'The Rugby Gun Shop' in Warwickshire, was greeted very nicely, offered a drink, offered the loo (they knew i'd been 'on my way' for about an hour and a half) and shown the gun, it was exactly as described, a later model Sporting Delux inc 5 chokes, it did have quite a few scratches on the stock but none of them were deep at all and i don't mind that as it is going to be my 'learner' gun and will probably get a few more, i'm almost looking forward to maybe reconditioning it later on (it's really not that bad tbh so it may never happen), the barrels were spotless in and out, a tiny bit of wear where the forend rests against them and the action felt 'just right' not too tight nor too loose....

Money changed hands and i became the owner of my first ever firearm :) They even threw in a free box of cartridges to 'get me started' (Lyalvale Express Power Blue - As inexperienced as i am i have no idea if these are good bad or indifferent...) but it was a very nice touch :)

2015-08-13%2019.35.25_zpsdyogwyvg.jpg

New shotgun in the boot of my car i set off on the journey home, back home i am equally pleased as i was in the shop, i have emailed the FLO to let them know about my newly aquired purchase and it is now safely locked away in a silicone sock next to a VP90 :D

Fingers crossed for good weather tomorrow, it might end up being my first 'solo' clays session, i will be looking to have some lessons in the not to distant future but i'm skinted out for the month now... lol

Oh and to make it an even better week, after 18 months on the waiting list for my local rifle club i have my first probationary visit there tomorrow evening aswell, so even if the weather is dire i'll be target shooting some 22LR and doing safety drills ready to see my probation through shooting gallery rifle at my local club, at a later date i'd also quite like to have a go at rested 22 and PSG but there is no rush.

So today i'm a very happy person, i'm sure there will be lots of stupid questions to come in the future, so far everyone i have met in the hobby/sport and on this forum has been amazingly helpful and friendly, i hope one day i can be able to return the favour...

Cheers

Paul

Edited by PaulJC

Thanks everyone :)

I put 75 cartridges through it on Friday, I had the box of Lyalvale that was given to me by the dealer and the ground only had 21g cartridges so i took 2 boxes of that...

Put the 21g cartridges through first, and i had quite a few where the second barrel didn't fire, it felt like the trigger was locked in place and wouldn't 'pull', this also happened a couple of times on the 28g's but didn't seem to be as many, I think i've already solved the problem as operator failure (not fully releasing the trigger fully or not opening the gun enough to cock both barrels) but i'll start another thread for peoples opinions on that one in a minute...

I've started a new thread about this issue HERE

I'm not overly concerned at this point, but next time out which will probably be ina bout a week and a half i'll be very mindful of trying to replicate/problem solve it if i can... I think it may well be down to my failings than that of the gun tbh ;)