bucks

tommy trucker

Just out of pure interest, and this is likely to stir up unnecessary criticism, but the headshot, peresumably there was a reason for taking it?

Looks a good buck, whatever the circumstances looks like a cracking clean shot!

Just out of pure interest, and this is likely to stir up unnecessary criticism, but the headshot, peresumably there was a reason for taking it?

Looks a good buck, whatever the circumstances looks like a cracking clean shot!

i went out saturday evening stalking.when i got to the place where i was going walked across the field to lie in waite to see if any bucks came out. once in position the wind started to swirl then changed direction now blowing into the wood so this was a waste of time but time was getting on

i went back to the motor and went else where on arival to my next wood (now 7.45) there was a buck out i could of shot him from the roadside (coz you can in scotland) but decided to stalk it. i went down an over grown lane on the opposite side of a dry stone wall got to 120 yds off him but couldnt get the shot because of the angle he was at with out getting over the wall. this was a ball ache as he was moving further away along side the wall so i followed hoping that he would go out in the field further down.

now i was only 90yds off him as he started moving in to the field, i had the rifle up on the sticks waiting in antisipation for him to come futher into the field so i could get the angle for the shot. well he never came far enough and just lay down in some long grass. so i lent over the wall with the rifle still suported on the sticks, his head was the biggest target, as i could only see the top of the neck and head for the long grass.

with the dot in the rectical placed firmly where i wanted it i squeezed the shot off. thwack went the bullet on impact and the buck was dead instantly.

now b4 everyone starts shouting at me for shooting deer in the head this was the only shot i could have taken. and this buck needed culled as was never going to make anything. it was still in velvet with what could only be described as 6" spikes for antlers.........

Nice write up!

I don't know anything about deer stalking, I do see those on here moan about head shots but I don't understand why. I only mentioned controversy because I have seen people get laid into on here for taking head shots.

Good do mate, job done and some venny hanging in the larder :lol:

Nice write up!

I don't know anything about deer stalking, I do see those on here moan about head shots but I don't understand why. I only mentioned controversy because I have seen people get laid into on here for taking head shots.

Good do mate, job done and some venny hanging in the larder :angry:

:lol::angry:

Thats a lovely pair of bucks Tommy, nice to see you posting aswell. :good:

Your new 6.5 is getting a work our then. :oops:

Or as you were in Scotland, did you use the .223?

Good shot, i love the humane ones. :stupid:

The best of luck :blush:

Frank.

Good to see you posting again Tommy :blush:

Good descriptive post BTW and what else have you been putting that 6.5 up to :stupid:

up to my shoulder :D:wub::wub:

Thats a lovely pair of bucks Tommy, nice to see you posting aswell. :yp:

Your new 6.5 is getting a work our then. :)

Or as you were in Scotland, did you use the .223?

Good shot, i love the humane ones. :good:

The best of luck :oops:

Frank.

1st wid the 223 the other 2 wid the 6.5

Nice bucks, congratulations. Good shooting too :stupid:

Understand the headshot but i would not do it myself because you will have the change the skull will crack and you can not put the antlers on display (by the way, i am not a typical trophy hunter, just enjoying every trophy small and big) :blush: . Couldn't you whistle it so it got up and then take the shot?

Other thing you mentioned, i think it is still OK for bucks to have velvet on the antlers this time of year. Doesn't necessarily mean it is sick (or did i get that wrong). Depends on the age of the buck and when they threw off their antlers, food, wintertime etc...

Hope to show same display later this year (then i am a happy man). :good: Buck season starts after 15 of may for me.