Can a barrel chop affect the accuracy of a gun?

malkiserow

Just wondering about the new Remington's SPS tactical they have a 16.5 inch barrel and one in nine twist apparently Remington are starting to cut their shorter on some models this one is in 223 just wondering whether to buy one or not any thoughts rimfire magic have them at the moment regards sf1

They were 20" originally the tac model.

They were 20" originally the tac model.

. These are coming straight out of the Remington factory some are 20 inch as you said and some16.5 just been looking at them this week thinking the 16.5 would be good for shooting out of a vehicle but not sure about having such a short barrell Edited by silver fox 1

. These are coming straight out of the Remington factory some are 20 inch as you said and some16.5 just been looking at them this week thinking the 16.5 would be good for shooting out of a vehicle but not sure about having such a short barrell

OK, new one on me that :-)

Be alright I guess, my 16" 94 trappers still shot good.

Hi

So curiously on a 1 in 18 twist on a barrel I assume the crown is cut so the riffling allows the bullet to leave the barrel top dead centre so if you take 4 inches off the twist would be reduced by on 8th and as I see it the exit from the rifeling would possibly be at the side of top dead centre

Just a thought

Maybe there's a equation for how much to take of a barrel depending on twist ratio ?

Only a thought

All the best

Of

OF

I've not heard of it before but here are a few thoughts after being up all night so please bear with me if they are not in English!

First unlike a thread there are 4/5or even 6 groves to the rifling so not as cut and dry and a thread each one maintains the bullet central to the bore on exit.

The concentric crown directs the gases evenly around the bullet as it exits the bore further stabilising it (hence why a bad crown can effect accuracy so much).

Now finally for a stalking/hunting rifle as long as it always exits in the same way would it matter?

I was never taught a calculation for length of barrel customer asks for 16" you cut to 16" if it's a bad idea ie very short for calibre you advice them x-y is the accept norm due reasons a&b but it's his rifle if he insists you do the job.