Amateur Radio

All the gear but no idea

I have an interest but thats about as far as it goes for me.

We cant get out shoot captin to use a walkie talkie (PMR446) and I had a CB but never got anything on that so sold it on which is a shame as I liked having it in the motor. I was also on the Charlie Tango forum with a call sign from there: CT1298 .

ATB

Matt

I have an interest but thats about as far as it goes for me.

We cant get out shoot captin to use a walkie talkie (PMR446) and I had a CB but never got anything on that so sold it on which is a shame as I liked having it in the motor. I was also on the Charlie Tango forum with a call sign from there: CT1298 .

ATB

Matt

Hey, you should really look into amateur radio. It's a great hobby! There are so many different area to look into...worldwide, local, building, low power (qrp), international space station chasing....the list can go quite a bit. I am the exam secretary for the Mid Ulster Amateur Radio Club www.muarc.com if you like to have a chat with people local or you just fancy a quick report from the other side of the world then I would recommend it.

Newarcher1 the best way is to look up on google local amateur radio clubs (then your location) of nothing found I would also suggest looking at the Rsgb (radio society of great britain) website. There is a three tier exam....foundation which allows 10watts of power, intermediate - 50w and full callsign which allows 400w. The foundation licence is relatively easy and you can buy the foundation book on amazon for 5 pounds. Multiple choice questions and if you pass you will have your own personalised callsign.

Neil, nice to meet you on here. Do you use your call sign just for raynet duties or do you have a your own setup at home? I have helped out at some raynet duties but not joining at this moment of time in my already packed and busy lifestyle. I do some sota work Neil.....I'll have to listen out for your callsign ;)

73's Noel

Mine is just in the vehicle, use mainly when i'm out at events,

I initially got it after getting stuck greenlaning and finding no mobile or cb signal, the increase range of the units makes a big difference.

Cost of setup varies massively depending on what equipment you want, a basic in car setup costs £400, if you can install it yourself.

I remember many years ago, when the 'illegal' CB radio came out. I bought more than one, and then progressed to Sideband. It was set up in my spare bedroom, and I had a huge aerial in the garden. On a good night, I could pick up, and chat to people in many countries of the world. I always intended to go into Amateur Radio, but then work, children and a host of other things stopped me. Maybe I'll look into it again one day in the near future.

Matt, it really depends on what your after. Local 2m rig's aren't that costly...100 pound second would get you sorted for the locals and with the repeaters you can get out a good bit. As for HF bands (worldwide) them rigs are more costly like Neil said 400 upwards would get you a rig that does HF and local. There are various homebrew antennas that you can construct quite cheaply. I have my HF set at home and local in the car. There are options for both....you will need power supply and an tuner for you aerial. Can be costly but if you shop around you can get set up for a reasonable price. Firstly you need to get your foundation licence in order to be able to transmit.

NOEL

There are also a lot of cheap handhelds available from China now...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2053587.m570.l1313.TR6.TRC1.A0.H0.Xuv-5r.TRS0&_nkw=uv-5r&_sacat=0

Not 10m but an easy/cheap way to get on air.

M0KPZ

Myself and a few mates have these. We use them when we`re out shooting pigeons and when setting up at the clay ground. Brilliant little things with great range.

One of the guys is, that`s who put us onto them. The rest of us, nope.

Well, the guy that give you the radio's is breaking the law. 8km walkie talkies are ment to be used. The amateur bands are a licenced frequency and you need to have completed a course to do so. If caught there is a fine. :/

The licensed amateur should no better and have some respect for the people who have obtained there licence.

Well, the guy that give you the radio's is breaking the law. 8km walkie talkies are ment to be used. The amateur bands are a licenced frequency and you need to have completed a course to do so. If caught there is a fine. :/

The licensed amateur should no better and have some respect for the people who have obtained there licence.

We use PMR channels. Hear all sorts of people on them, construction workers, security guards. I doubt very much they are all licensed.