ditchman

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

your repairs are really good Ditchman - I envy your skills :good:

only comes with frustration and practice ...and working in places where you were thousands of miles away from a spare parts shop..............so you end up "having a go at mending stuff"....and bit by bit you find out what you can mend ...and how to do it and what is impossible to mend.....

Still havnt had time to go into JSF norwich to pick up some bits and pieces and the exhaust valves...(doing a change over as they were the wrong model)...so i changed my ops' to the cylinder head...putting the inserts in...

the first pic is one of the valve seats in the 2nd head La Bala pointed out that they looked in good condition...so i had a good look at them under the magnifying glass ,,,and there is virtually no where on them...so all i will do is to lap all the valves in and put new springs on and seals and caps..

post-11401-0-76123600-1447680196_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-05128000-1447680219_thumb.jpg

the previous pic' is of the empty combustion chamber...the next one is of the injector in position and as you can see the chamber needs to be fully formed with the addition of the injector shroud...the next pic is a bit of copper slip in the chamber before i press the shroud in...

post-11401-0-40692900-1447680451_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-06638400-1447680466_thumb.jpg

the hot spot caps are an "interferance" fit so dont handle them too much as the will swell with the heat of your hand....these came out of the freezer....tap them LIGHTLY into position...then using a good clean softwood block and a lump hammer ease them into position (refusal)

post-11401-0-49912600-1447681816_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-28717800-1447681838_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-86572900-1447681857_thumb.jpg

I have marked up where to put the softwood block on the hot spot inserts with an"X"....and marked with a "ring" where not to apply pressure...these inserts are thin in that area and can shatter...that is why it is best to use a softwood block instead of a hardwood block.............best of all use a press........but i aint got one.....

post-11401-0-65991200-1447682087_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-30071800-1447682103_thumb.jpg

Pardon my ignorance but whats a "Hotspot cap"?

:shaun:

go back to post# 29 and you will see the stuffed hot spot cap......then go to post#125 and you will see the underside of the new hot spot cap and heat nipples

in simplest of terms...the "shroud....injector tip and the hot spot cap form a chamber....a precombustion chamber......the nipples on the underside of the hot spot cap start to glow and hold the heat thus making the fast expansion of the injected desiel mist more efficient..............it is a very old idea dating back to the 1920's and hasnt changed since....this is termed as INDIRECT INJECTION....and the other sort is DIRECT INJECTION... where the desiel is injected straight into the top of the piston crown.....

RodP will give you more background info if you wish.....hope that clears things up ?

spitting blood an' feathers at the moment............went into norwich to pick up bits and change over the exhaust valves......got back here opened the box and the exhaust valves are 3 different manufacturers ....proberly all for the TD model but all the valve s are slightly different..... ...........so i bitched and moaned on the phone...realmad.gif.pagespeed.ce.vcPoMCOXvP.gif and a new complete matching set is coming in tomorrow.... :yahoo:

Got a call from JSF and the matching set of exhaust valves are in ...so i will pick them up tomorrow............

thought i would mount the front timing case.....the first pic is the process of cleaning the faces

1. wipe down with clean rag.........(it then looks clean and most people would say that is good enough)
  2. use clean kitchen roll and use a GOOD degreaseant ..i used a Xylene based fluid for the first wipe..(thats the middle kitchen roll)
  3. then wipe again with the fluid.....(thats the 3rd kitchen roll swab)

the first swab is clean kitchen roll !! you can see the differance..

post-11401-0-34955900-1447952053_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-96622500-1447952377_thumb.jpg

With this level of perfection Ditchie, I think the LR Heritage Centre should make you an offer :good:

they would die of old age waiting for me to finish something..........they way i work now is for pleasure...and it goes something like this.......

......have a fag.............................put in a bolt............scratch bum...........admire......take a pic'...............have a cup of tea..........stroke it.............put in another bolt.....round back of the shed for a pee......have a fag..........................you get the idea.............im unemployable ..........imagine me working at NASA...!!

they would die of old age waiting for me to finish something..........they way i work now is for pleasure...and it goes something like this.......

......have a fag.............................put in a bolt............scratch bum...........admire......take a pic'...............have a cup of tea..........stroke it.............put in another bolt.....round back of the shed for a pee......have a fag..........................you get the idea.............im unemployable ..........imagine me working at NASA...!!

Sounds awfully like you do your engineering in the nude! :rolleyes:

Pardon my ignorance but whats a "Hotspot cap"?

:shaun:

If you take a look at this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_bulb_engine it refers to "hot bulb" engines. However, a diesel hot spot engine (most early diesels) is a sort of hybrid between compression ignition (true compression ignition) and a hot bulb engine (uses an ignition source)

Plenty of links in this article to enable you to differentiate between different engines.

We'll get on to Jake brakes / exhaust brakes, retarders and clutch brakes later :lol:

just checking for the bolts i need........oh and i need to spray up the sump wot i primed...........

mrs is getting at me ...leaves need to be swept...(will do it with the powerwasher)....boarders need to be cleaned out...(brushcutter and strimmer)....clipping need to be cut and composted......(effin great fire down the bottom of the garden)...jobs a gooden !!

Excuse me mr Ditchman, have you left that torque wrench wound up :hmm:

:lol: :lol: :lol: