duck decoys on pond

mossy835

Will come to realise decoy is just that after a few minutes and be made wary and scared off, better to leave some feed (get 25kg of whole barley for £3 to £5 depending on source) and when you are up there put it out in 2 to 4 inches depth of water and monitor how long it takes to disappear.

I just dropped 5kg into pond at shoot and a week later walked off (without shooting) a dozen teal with maybe 1kg still there, put same in again and hoping to shoot next weekend, once they have attracted some more.

Wouldn't shoot more than once a fortnight.

Will come to realise decoy is just that after a few minutes and be made wary and scared off, better to leave some feed (get 25kg of whole barley for £3 to £5 depending on source) and when you are up there put it out in 2 to 4 inches depth of water and monitor how long it takes to disappear.

I just dropped 5kg into pond at shoot and a week later walked off (without shooting) a dozen teal with maybe 1kg still there, put same in again and hoping to shoot next weekend, once they have attracted some more.

Wouldn't shoot more than once a fortnight.

Wheat is just as good. Feed can easily be eaten by duck at over a foot deep.

Forget the deeks and just start feeding.Once they find it numbers should increase and they wont need any encouraging to come in.

If you have any farmers that dry their own crop then there should be excess lying about and could get for just cleaning it up.

Im dumping at least 6 50kg bags a day as i have around 10 ton from one place alone before it gets disposed of so try to store as much as i can and feed as much as i can in the meantime.

Wheat is just as good. Feed can easily be eaten by duck at over a foot deep.

Wheat is actually better in my experience but as I am dumping it in on a weekly basis, whole barley tends to last a bit longer.

Best I ever used was cracked maize but expensive up here....

As mainly a teal pond with visiting mallard, I try and keep it shallow, also means I can see how much is left sitting on the bottom.