Nearly my first goose this season

clanchief

On deciding to set out the Goose FUDs on Saturday morning I headed off to the farm, fog stayed with me all the way across the Erskine Bridge and got worse as I got nearer the fields. Deciding I'm a numpty and thinking it not would be any good to set up beside the reservoir in the fog.( is it any good in fog ?)

I decided to have a walk round the oaks and run in my new Xtreme with a box of 34g 6's Id bought to do this and have a pop at pigeons. Opened the first gate and first shot downed a pigeon, so that's the gun ok,,,,,,,walked up and onto the hill, the gun stuffed full of 6's, maybe get a Snipe or summit, out of the fog appeared about a dozen Canada's 25 yards up, coming straight toward me, no amount of fumbling could get a 50g 2 out of my belt and change it for the 6's in time for the shot,,,,,,, they flew right over me toward the Clyde, honked a goodbye.

Walking on and on there were lots of small skeins coming over from where I had planned to set up beside the reservoir, lesson learned for me.

Make a plan and stick to it even though it doesn't seem as good as first thought, least you can see if things work out or not.

I have two options for this Saturday, set out the goose decoys and wait for some birds in the hide, or set out some pigeon floaters on grass beside the oaks and wait for some pigeon,,,,,,,,,,,think the first plan is the one to go for as I wasted the first outing.

Chiefy

Don't be so sure , last season I called in a bunch of pinks on a tide flight ,wings cupped paddles down in my face I thought im in here,yea right I tried to get two with one shot (why god only knows)missed, then as they flared up I missed again .Did I feel a plonker ,damn right I did.

This forums makes me laugh with the stories that comes up..I've shot plenty geese with 6s clean kill .the problem you might have is you guys think your using cannons when shooting geese at ridiculous heights !

Give me and a couple of mates a flight in Scotland and I'm 100 % sure your be eating your words.

Nice 3rd post by you! !!!!

• 3 weeks later...

The more I practise the luckier I get.

I set up in a field beside the reservoir in the dark, yesterday.

Placed the Fuds in a crecent shape, little worried that there was no goose mess on the ground like before, then hung the net of the poles I have left in the ground in the hedge, and dressed it up a bit, I'm the only one that shoots here so it's quite safe to leave things in place.

Started calling, not to hard after you tube practise, anyway the geese on the water were chatting back, so well good I thought.

Next minute I look through the net and two Jumbo Canada's have already landed, not wantin to take them sitting I stood up, as soon as the first took a foot off the ground and then the other it was a goner, and my first goose this year on the ground. Oh I missed its mate.

I couldn't be happier, on taking a call of nature and then taking cover another skein went wide, no doubt they saw me.

Packed up soaked and thoroughly happy.

Thanks to all for every bit of advice good and bad.

When I went down to the farm house to speak to my farmer friend he said I saw your tyre tracks over the field last week, I asked when are they coming around, he said they are flying in all the time morning, afternoons the lot, take your pick, so maybe a wee afternoon out next, if it ever dries up up here.

Cheers

Chiefy