FEO Vist

Hamish99

Hi Hamish, quick question for you. What security do you have currently? I'm applying for my FAC in the next few weeks and just wondering what other people who work away from home have?

I work offshore and wanted a guess if there should be any extra security I should apply before applying for my FAC

And now we have jumped from SGC to FAC!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So contact your FEO or read the Government guidelines!

I've read the guidelines, which state the minimum, however each case is different. Myself and Hamish are from roughly the same area, so thought it would be a good idea to ask him.

Whats your problem here? Seem to be very anti FAC, all because I asked a question.

I am not anti FAC at all, they are both different and have differing requirements.

If you have read the Government guidelines as you say you have than joining a thread about SGC requirements is a little off piste!

And yet, the security of them both is described in the same document, at the same time. (Purely regarding security) And yes, I have just double checked this.

Edited by blairmullen

Hi Hamish, quick question for you. What security do you have currently? I'm applying for my FAC in the next few weeks and just wondering what other people who work away from home have?

I work offshore and wanted a guess if there should be any extra security I should apply before applying for my FAC[/quote

I have a cabinet and a trigger lock.

cheers Hamish

Or I could ask for some advice from someone who's just had his FEO (Oh and btw, we don't have an "FEO" as such, it's on the beat coppers) visit to see what they said, so I can make sure I have most things in order before my visit.

Oh that seems too much like a good idea.

You could of course speak to your local firearms licensing department to get their definitive answer, phone BASC of which I'm sure you are a member and have a read of the guidelines on firearms security https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/firearms-handbook-2005

Hi All

I travelled to airport on Friday to travel to work however my flight got cancelled due to weather,

So i returned back home to find a card from police regarding my application for my SGC so i contacted the FEO and made an appointment for the 27th of Nov however my flights got cancelled again on the Saturday

so i travelled home and contacted the FEO to ask him if he could fit me in which he did in the afternoon so a big thumbs for that and thank you Police Scotland (Edinburgh).

I think all went well with the visit he did say that he would recommend that i get my cert. However he did say that he was not happy for me to store the guns at home when i,am away at work (Any thoughts)

Cheers Hamish.

See bold mate :rolleyes: and wait for your cert to arrive :good: BB

I have had a SGC for 40+ years and have just gone FAC as well, on FEO visit all ok but did suggest a wireless alarm with a sensor in downstairs entrance hallway and on 1st floor landing, just as a bit extra as he said you could have up to 11 firearms on premises so just got alarm, and had it add on my record all ok and easy to set up so its all good. Only done it to keep FEO on side.

Edited by johnlewis

Blair it's chris from the club , as long as you have complied with government regulations (there is a downloadable booklet) then it does not matter what he is comfortable/uncomfortable with .

At the end of the day if someone wants our firearms all that is required is the will and a little planning.

If he is truly unhappy and the powers that be require you to store them elsewhere then I have a cabinet spare that you can put your guns in whilst you are away .

I work offshore and wanted a guess if there should be any extra security I should apply before applying for my FAC[/quote

I have a cabinet and a trigger lock.

cheers Hamish

A monitored alarm system would certainly help, and keep the FEO happy. BUT only do it if you feel happy, don't feel obliged.

Or I could ask for some advice from someone who's just had his FEO (Oh and btw, we don't have an "FEO" as such, it's on the beat coppers) visit to see what they said, so I can make sure I have most things in order before my visit.

Oh that seems too much like a good idea.

Phoned my FEO a couple of weeks ago for an update on my renewal , he is the only one left (old L&B) on the job according to him and its beat polis doing the rounds here as well, BY the book .

johnnie

Edited by AULD YIN

This is the sort of things I would like to know. Anybody else who is in my position, or works away for a few weeks or whatever, please chip in.

Sorry to steal your thread Hamish.

Blair no idea why you got all the earlier stick. Anyway I work out the country for half the year, FEO was aware of this and I have had no issues or special conditions asked for by them, I am very local to you ;-)

That said I choose to have security lighting and decent fencing around my property, alarm system and cctv viewable by myself when I am away, but that is for my family security rather than my guns. Hope that helps.

Blair no idea why you got all the earlier stick. Anyway I work out the country for half the year, FEO was aware of this and I have had no issues or special conditions asked for by them, I am very local to you ;-)

That said I choose to have security lighting and decent fencing around my property, alarm system and cctv viewable by myself when I am away, but that is for my family security rather than my guns. Hope that helps.

Thanks very much. By the winky face, do you know me or something?

Anyway thanks again for the advice.