Help please, concreting job.

BRYAN3

Hello Guys.

I have laid concrete befor but this is slightly different in that I am intending to add some of that there "new fangled fibre stuff".

This is for a greenouse base 7ft x 17ft 3 1/2ins thick.

The shuttering is in place and I just need to get the dust and whichever fibre is required,there appear to be different kinds in differing lengths etc. And I have no idea how much to add to the mix.

Any advise please.

Regards Bryan.

Given that area I would recommend you having it mixed on site approximately 1 cubic metre. We've got wagons our way will do as little as .5 up to 6 cube, as for fibres they add them as it is mixed nothing gauged just couple of handfuls or so. Cost wise £100_150 per cube. Hope this helps.

Thanks Guys.

I was thinking perhaps just slap it in.

It is on hoggin laid 30 years ago,the digger driver struggled to grade it for me. Mind you,he was using a ditching bucket as we had been ditching all day.

It's also only for two 8x6 greenhouses on three courses of bricks. They will be back to back so a door each end.

I was looking at the site this afternoon,half full of water and leaves. I only need the dust and a straight stick for tamping and ready to go.

ATB Bryan.

7 ft wide is ok. put one expansion down the centre. Of the long section if you want to be safe.

You can just cast one side then get some expansion foam up against that slab and pour the second.

Or you can go to town and dowle and cleave the joint

And get some spacers known as mars bars and some mesh

Edited by chady

TaxiDriver.

That's very kind of you :yes: .

My younger brother has said he will help me with it but he has kids and comitments.

What clubs are you in,we may know each other in passing.

What kind of shooting do you do?

I had a squint at some of your posts and noticed you were after a bike. Are you getting on all right with the one you got.

Just realised this aint a gay dating site is it. :lol:

Kindest regards Bryan.

7 ft wide is ok. put one expansion down the centre. Of the long section if you want to be safe.

You can just cast one side then get some expansion foam up against that slab and pour the second.

Or you can go to town and dowle and cleave the joint

And get some spacers known as mars bars and some mesh

Doing this would be an A star job. If it was me I would just mark where the two greenhouses are going to meet back to back and create a crack induced joint:

Either run a saw down it when the concrete is green (evening/morning after pouring)

Or if you want to get fancy buy some of the plastic inserts, than you then pull out in morning. They are called crack inducers.

I wouldn't worry about the fibre. People think it adds structural properties to the concrete but I believe it is more used for a better finish as it reduces surface voids and cracking.

A sheet of mesh would be best to limit any cracking and promote longevity of the slab. Just make sure you leave it 50mm short of the crack induced joint to stop water getting to it and it rusting up.

Again, I would definitely run a joint through it and not pour all 17foot in one strip as it will definitely crack up in the future. From memory I think the British Standard requires joints installed at max 4.8m centres and that's with all the requirements for formation checks, reinforcement and cover etc.

Have fun mate and get it covered. The weather is cold for the next few days