.410 BRASS RELOADING

I have thought for a wile about reloading .410 using brass cases, i remember reading somewhere on the net about using .303 cases but this soundxed a little involved compared to using marlin 444 brass which looked the simplest fastest option.

Now why reload .410 in brass hulls,, my reason is RTO heads are cheap e nough for reloading but sizing in the .410 adds yet more tools required, I think some 444 brass would prove practical for me as not only do i have no .410 reloading equiptment but i have no ready supply of used .410 cases and allthough new hulls are cheap enough the brass route appeals to me as i want to load just a few loads non tox hevi etc and i dont fancy laying out the money for any reloading equiptment, the 444 brass looks the best option from my point of view, what are your findings good or bad with brass loads in the .410, and any further advice on loads or other options i may not have concidered here.

If you're reloading your own 'normal' 410 cartridges, which have been fired in your own gun, then equipment needs are minimal.

Where you may need to re-size the brass head on the normal cartridge case, you'd have to re-size the entire brass case on the 444 brass, wouldn't you ? In which case a custom sizing die would be needed, at probably far greater expense than a Mec supersizer.

All you need to deprime is a nail and a hammer. A new primer is seated using a 'multibit' screwdriver (with no bit in place), and then powder, wad and shot to suit.

Finally, if you were using 444 brass, then you'd need to obtain pistol primers, I assume. For which you'd need to show a suitable FAC. Whereas reloading normal 410 cases your SGC will suffice for suitable primers.

If you're reloading your own 'normal' 410 cartridges, which have been fired in your own gun, then equipment needs are minimal.

Where you may need to re-size the brass head on the normal cartridge case, you'd have to re-size the entire brass case on the 444 brass, wouldn't you ? In which case a custom sizing die would be needed, at probably far greater expense than a Mec supersizer.

All you need to deprime is a nail and a hammer. A new primer is seated using a 'multibit' screwdriver (with no bit in place), and then powder, wad and shot to suit.

Finally, if you were using 444 brass, then you'd need to obtain pistol primers, I assume. For which you'd need to show a suitable FAC. Whereas reloading normal 410 cases your SGC will suffice for suitable primers.

Thanks for the tip robiep Ive been trying to find something to seat primers and that works fine :good:

Try Circle Fly for wads. You also won't be able to use anything other than fibre wad style wads for brass, load data is not commercially available as far as I'm aware for bass......oh and you'll be pinching the wife's nail varnish for sealing your loads!

I load MagTech brass cases using Lil'Gun but do find they are a dirty load.

Dasher

I bought a box of Magtech brass 410 cases for about £12, to get over the primer problem I machined them to take standard shotgun primers.

Standard 410 fibre wads can be a bit on the small side and you have to fit an overshot wadd to hold it all together. (but do not do what I did)

I melted candle wax to seal the end, however it caught fore, spilt on my hand and set it on fire causing 30% burns.

I think i will use a little decorators caulk in the future

The cartridges however work very well.

Mike

I bought a box of Magtech brass 410 cases for about £12, to get over the primer problem I machined them to take standard shotgun primers.

Standard 410 fibre wads can be a bit on the small side and you have to fit an overshot wadd to hold it all together. (but do not do what I did)

I melted candle wax to seal the end, however it caught fore, spilt on my hand and set it on fire causing 30% burns.

I think i will use a little decorators caulk in the future

The cartridges however work very well.

Mike

Clear nail varnish for the closure.

An 11mm leather punch for wadding.

Fire formed 303 brass for me.

Look on FourTen.org for more info

The primer issue shouldn't be....as the exemption from VCRA rules on buying primers mentions shotshell components. No wording of "209 primers only are exempt"....or similar.

An RFD shown the brass case should apply the exemption; sadly, I doubt too many are enlightened enough to know the difference (like the similar exemption for soft point bullets in tubular magazines)

CBC Magtech brass in the USA is routinely converted to take 209 primers, as over there they're cheaper than pistol primers.

Got a good few dozen hole punches to choose from....along with suitable card, 1/4" cork sheets, etc.

Olde style glass eye dropper was under a quid at Boots (ask behind the counter)

Seal with "water glass" - bought via Amazon

Makes for cheap reloading & opens up the humble 410 options