first flightline/roost shoot 2016

adzyvilla

My first time sharing my shooting adventures with you guys on here, Had a successful afternoon/evening yesterday so decided to share my experiences.

My father and I have a good spot in a large wood with a river running down one side, approximately in the middle of a large shooting estate (mid norfolk). Lots of surrounding belts and woods, and most of them had a gun or two in them, plus plenty of bangers going in the outlying areas. We arrived about 3pm and took position at either end of the cover and took some time to watch the flight lines. Wind was blowing about 40-50mph, but it was dry and reasonably warm where i was in the midst of a clump of tall conifers.

Slow start at first, but I took a pigeon with my first shot, which was a relief following the pathetic show I put up at the two beaters days I was invited to this season. I had 5 in the bag after the first hour for approx 20 shots, not bad for me in challenging conditions. Things hotted up just before 4pm and there were lots of pigeons swirling around in the gusts between our wood and the belt on the other side of the river. Some really sporting shots and a few more in the bag before the wind dropped a bit and the birds seemed to disappear. Dusk was moving in and I heard my dad having a good go at the other end of the wood, turns out he was more interested in jackdaws and carrion crows at that point, but my mind was soon refocused on the woodies as they started to come back in, looking for a safe place to roost. I fired a further 10 or 12 shots before I heard my father crashing through the undergrowth towards me, picking up 3 pigeons for 3 shots.

We took stock in the semi-gloom back at the car before we headed home. Total bag between us, 19 pigeons, 2 crows and a jay for my 55 shots and his 26, so roughly a 4:1 ratio, which was a fair result in the conditions.

Dad away next week, so I will be off to see a mate on his farm who is having rat problems, so an opportunity to dust off the .410 and give the Pigeons a rest for a week (at least from me as there will be plenty of others out on the estate im sure).

I saw large numbers of pigeons yesterday and certainly no less than in previous years, so hopefully this will be a good year and I look forward to some decoying over flailed maize later on this month.

Hope you enjoyed my tale

Adam.

• 2 weeks later...

Second day out after last weekend off, and a marked difference today both in terms of the weather and the quality of the birds. Over 1000 pigeons shot on the estate during the week so still plenty around, but would I see any?

Started at around 2:30pm, 15-20mph winds and light drizzle. In my usual spot at the end of the wood, with my dad over the other side of the river, and the welcome addition of my brother (up from the smoke for a visit) down below me at the other end of the wood by the release pen. On my drive over I saw huge numbers of woodies grazing on rape and flailed maize on either side of the road, so I was thinking this is going to be a good afternoon. I could hear a few shots from different points around me but It seemed quieter than normal and perhaps the rain was keeping the fair weather shooters away.

Took a fast crosser which surprised me with my first shot, purely an instinctive snap shot and it fell about 100 yards out into the meadow. Quickly reloaded as I heard several shots behind me signalling my bro was getting underway..... but nothing appeared. I didn't fire another shot for what must have been 20 minutes, seeing only fleeting glimpses of birds well out of range. Dad was merrily blazing away over the river but I didn't seem to have the luck today.

I moved to the edge of the wood to get a better view of the outlying land, setting up camp in a thicket of rushes by a big hawthorn bush, I couldn't believe I had missed this spot before, as It was a great little natural hide. It worked almost immediately as a pair of pigeons whizzed past me. From my new vantage point I could see that the birds had altered from their normal flight line and were going around the end of my wood and up either side rather than over it. My new spot allowed me to pick off several birds over the next hour, but it was more misses than hits as they were still flying fast and high, but at least I was seeing more now.

Spending a few minutes pondering why the birds were behaving differently today, I heard voices coming from the other side of the river. I couldn't see anything so I thought no more of it, But the flow of birds had dwindled so I took the opportunity to gather in the fallen. So far, 6 in the bag for 20 shots, I left my new spot and headed back up the wood to join my brother who had also been quiet (or so I thought). Turns out he had wandered further away from the bit I put him in and was going around blasting dreys as the pigeons were avoiding him. Turns out that the voices I heard were some walkers (over a mile from the nearest public footpath) evidently a bit lost.

We saw a few more birds but I was keen for my brother to have more of a go, so I let him shoot at what we saw, I did wipe his eye once though (always a pleasure to humble your big brother...!). Getting darker now, we waited for my father to appear, chancing our arms at a few long range crows before meeting up and heading to the car and home.

Total bag between three of us: 10

Total shots between three of us: 69

Personally, 7 for 25. Just didn't see the numbers I was expecting and what I did see was far out and fast. Not making excuses, honest. Think the wind being in a different direction and a few neighbouring woods unoccupied didn't help, but i'm assured the numbers are still here.

Hopefully decoying one day this week, so I will let you all know how I get on. Oh and my brother, with a borrowed gun and very little practice got his first pigeon for 20 years. Good on yer Joe!