Fenny + JBK + OSR + Roost

jbk

Hi All,

I wanted to share with you the report of a really fun day out I had just recently with Fenny up near Wisbech, Cambridgeshire. I had not met Fenny before and bought a day blind from him through this forum just this last Thursday. A dry days decoying on OSR with a roost wood chaser was the order of the day. We were out with one other gun and I managed to persuade Fenny to join and shoot with me in my hide for good company and + shared tea pouring duties.

One of the farmers, I believe without notice and despite warning of our impending shooing, put a load of gas guns out on a field Fenny had his eye on, no problem, farmers prerogative of course, but that scuppered us a bit. So we moved to a field less recon'd and with unfortunately a bit less activity on it. But they were still around and we were under a decent enough flight line, a cold, lean but still v fun session followed. We could see the birds hammering a field a click and a half away but on somewhere we just didn't have permission on, so we just had to watch them and will them in our direction as best we could. But we still had enough action. Bag counting wasn't as stringent as it should have been, but despite big flocking, zero wind and clear blue skies i think 8 birds were bagged and had my shooting have been on form i reckon we should have accounted for 15/20 birds throughout the session, the ones we shot came into the decoys really well. A strange witching hour and a half at lunch where absolutely nothing moved anywhere at all, then they magically reappeared as if someone had flicked a switch off and on. The usual, unfathomable to humans (or me at least), pigeon behaviour!!

We then upped hide pegs from the OSR and headed off to a favourite woodie roost wood and were we in for a treat. Maybe a five acre spinney, a nice handy small ride in the middle providing an opening above and a perfect bank of bushes which we could lean into so to take cover when they were on their way in. A solid 2+ hours of action followed with just under 24 birds accounted for (I reckon 7/8 to me 16/17 to Fenny! :whistling: ). Once again had my shooting been up to speed I reckon there should have been a bag of 40 maybe even 45 from the wood. Fabulous and testing shooting it was. I moved over the the far side of the wood so to best site two guns for results. There was less ground cover to hide against which involved me moving about, too much, to try not to spook them early and so that I could create as much of a shooting window above as possible. A 2 hour game of "when's too low and thus too late" vs "stepping away from the tree trunk cover and getting on them early enough to get a line on the bird" vs "******, too early and they spooked and I put a flock of 20 off from coming in close enough!" + the usual banter of complimenting Fenny's high shot birds wheeling down to the ground from a high vs taking the mickey out of me missing things that i shoudln't have done. A really great roost session, thank you to Fenny for the day and to all those who gave their lives in the making of this episode ;) Doffed caps Mssrs. & Mmes. Pigeon.

Sadly after all of that our photography efforts were severely lacking and I've only got this one v poor picture of the roost bag in failing light at the end of the day. Note to self to take many more pictures for similar reports in the future. Hope you've enjoyed a bit of a read about a really fun day, as much as I've enjoyed reading many of your reports. Special thanks to Fenny for arranging the day and more importantly for his company, a pleasure to meet you and hope that's the first of more days shooting together. Did you see how jam packed those roost birds' crops were with rape, dropped a few on the garage floor when emptying my game bag and their crops almost burst they were so full of the stuff.

Cheers

p.s. Apologies about the empty shells on the floor, others had permission in the wood and there were some badly behaved shooters in there a few years ago who neglected to pick up any of their plastic shells at all. A bin has been moved in there which we were filling with those we could find, within a few months and a few sessions the whole lot will have been cleared up and removed.

post-69413-0-66317700-1455376722_thumb.jpg

Edited by jbk