Gamebore 12g vs 20g fiber: 20g fouls barrels?

Both guns cleaned in the same way, shot at the same time in the same weather, similar number of rounds. The 12g barrels are almost spotless (after 150 rounds) -- the 20g barrels are /filthy/ -- not just the barrels in fact, the ejectors, and even beyond. There's crud everywhere, and flakes of unburnt powder -- both barrels too, so it's not just one 'bad' cartridge it seems.

Is it normal, or a 'bad batch' ?

xHODgYz.jpg

Edited by buze

Guest cookoff013

no, its the load charicteristics.

you can keep the 20s in a warm room for a week, they might shoot better, but if the load is as "dirte" as you say, then there is nothing you can do.

The Mrs used the Gamebore super comp in 20g and they are really dirty, both in plastic and fibre. I don't think I have ever seen so much crud since I used to use Baikals when I was a kid. Luckily the shop had run out so I got her some Express 20g fibre and they are excellent.

The Mrs used the Gamebore super comp in 20g and they are really dirty, both in plastic and fibre. I don't think I have ever seen so much crud since I used to use Baikals when I was a kid. Luckily the shop had run out so I got her some Express 20g fibre and they are excellent.

Thanks for the tip! I'll see how I can source these instead...

I'm not comparing 12g and 20g, I'm comparing a clean gun to a filthy one. If one cartridge burns cleanly and the other one does not, the fact they use different powders is something I would flag as "the problem" really! :yes:

@dodeer; what do you mean by "fob and Rc" ?

I'm not comparing 12g and 20g, I'm comparing a clean gun to a filthy one. If one cartridge burns cleanly and the other one does not, the fact they use different powders is something I would flag as "the problem" really! :yes:

@dodeer; what do you mean by "fob and Rc" ?

They are makes of cartridges.

• 2 weeks later...

I just traded one of my 12's for a 20 and was given over 1000 Hull Sterlings from a friend. I've found that they pattern well and are really hard hitting but they are absolutely filthy! One shot makes the bore look like it's been coated in tea leaves. I know that they were kept in a cold, damp cellar though so I'm hoping that they'll improve as they gradually warm up in my house.

I had a similar problem to Buze - with Gamebore Pure Gold 32gm 5's fibre. An astonishing amount of unburnt powder flakes in the barrels after each shot. So many of these flakes fouled the chambers that the cartridges would not eject from my Beretta. This proved to be a real problem on that rare occasion I was actually in the hot spot on a driven day. Birds streaming over unsaluted whilst I was desperately trying to claw cartridges out of the gun. The cartridges had been stored in a warm dry room. I shook a heap of unburnt powder out of the barrels and sent it off to Gamebore. Waiting to hear what they say!! (The company have also said they will exchange the remaining cartridge batch. I shall opt for Black Gold, with which I have never had any problems. I have also purchased a pocket-sized chamber brush, should there ever be a recurrence).

Interesting, @woodywhacker -- here I never had problems with 12g cartridges so far, it was only that 20g one, and strangely, people in the know seemed to be quite aware of it... I would have assumed 'pure gold' would be nice, as I beleive they are quite expensive. I tried some Hull 'Pro One' last week-end and the only thing that choked was ME when I realised how much they cost :-)

I have shot a few thousand Gamebore 20g Supercomp and can't recall thinking they were particularly mucky, the fibre wads always have confetti out the barrel, but that's to be expected. They have maybe changed the powder as have not bought any for 6+ months at least.

Have changed to Fiocchi Top20 and think they are a great cart, although a wee bit punchy.

Edit to add: The ProOne is an excellent cartridge, but certainly not cheap :)

Edited by grrclark