Pistol grip night vision spotter for sale

Dave-G

I'm going to have to start using names for my spotters now I have six varieties. This latest one will be called a 'Pistol Grip Black Sun spotter'

It has an integrated T50 Black Sun illuminator that is good for about 300 yards on rabbit size quarry and you can watch the movement of fox eye shine much much further. On good moonlit nights you will see near infinity without an illuminator thanks to the high quality KPC E700 low light camera.

I can supply it with a choice of C mount lenses: 50mm which is great for general rabbit and fox duty or a 25mm lens for a wider field of view better suited to rabbit ranges and the quarry being smaller on the screen. If no size is specified a 50mm lens will be supplied as default.

The ergonomic pistol grip is more manly hand sized than some I have seen, it has a lanyard loop in it and can be swapped for a tripod or adjustable suction mount.

A 5" 800x480 adjustable brightness monitor acts as a flip off lid to the electronics box that carries three user supply 18650 batteries. I don't supply batteries or chargers so the buyer doesn't need to return the spotter if a battery fails - and if one goes bang he won't be suing me either. :)

This is how the box is opened for battery changing:

Price is £240 collected or £250 posted RMSD.

DSCF6103_zpsvpg7hqc3.jpg

DSCF6100_zps1mky2we9.jpg

DSCF6096_zpsiocp7kt8.jpg

DSCF6098_zpsktlwocrt.jpg

DSCF6113_zps5jgxmsti.jpg

DSCF6138_zpscg9lmppo.jpg

Thanks Mel. :good:

Run time is subjective and very variable. The optics will run for about three hours constant, but usually a whole session when used intermittently.

Because I only use the very reputable KPC E700 camera the illuminator can - and is often better not used some nights unless you want to check for long distance eye shine. Rabbits in particular show up as dark blobs moving about and you get to position yourself very well before taking the shot without having used any light source whatsoever, don't beleive the old chestnut about IR's being invisible.

Rabbits are rather small in the screen at 300 yards. Fox eye shine is maybe 500 yards, recognition somewhat closer but that is best done with the rifle when readied for the shot. The black sun LED is too powerful for what most of us want at full power so low or medium increases run time no end. It takes just a few seconds and no tools to swap batteries if you keep some in a pocket. The batteries have a very long chrge life and can be left in a shooting truck for months on end. I think about 90 minutes non stop on full power is about right - same as a single cell IR torch. I generally use free one's from laptop battery packs. I forgot to adbvertise the 18650's need to be flat tops.

The screen has a brightness control menu - just like a mobile phone you need it bright in the day and dim in the dark. I have recently been supplying them with red gel filter to reduce glare... big mistake because buyers complain they were too dim so that will not be done again lol. There are two switches because the IR is often not used, but you can use two fingers to turn on both sections as wanted. The IR has three power settings, selected in a similar way as a tail cap switch with half presses.

I suggest these are not suited to a man who hunts alone on foot because they are a bit bulky although the handle has lanyard loop. The weight is just under 900 grams with the batteries fitted. The FOV is similar to a scope at 3 to 3.5 mag with the 50mm lens. A smaller lens can be got from ebay for about £25 if a wider view but smaller quarry size is preferred.

If anybody fancies a trip to the eastern city boundary of Leicester I am happy to demo with no obligation to buy - maybe bring a few mates along.

Edited by Dave-G

I will have one Dave please PM sent..

Thanks mike, as you have proved to be a northerner capable of fixing a nut to a pistol grip I removed the handle to make for a smaller package.

I must remember to put that instructional detail on the next one I post up. :innocent:

Edited by Dave-G

• 3 months later...

With the nights starting to draw in a bit it seems a good time to bump this thread.

Some people find that despite seeking a 'long range' spotter they inadvertently get one with a narrow field of view that is great at doing what they thought they wanted but at the expense of not seeing a wide enough area. An example is when one is fitted to the roof of a truck with a magnet or suction mount. A long lens is great for large areas of level ground but poor for small fields that have undulations, if the car points down hill the camera does too.

Most spotters with comparable cameras will see the same distance but with their quarry and field of view having different merits. Can I suggest potential spotter buyers carefully consider what THEY want for their own specific needs rather than ask and buy what someone feels is the best in general.

I have this additional version on the go now with a 35mm lens that offers an ideal compromise between a 50mm lens for outright foxing ranges where the user will be able to see a wider field of view to avoid potentially missing closer quarry that would otherwise have been off the screen, and a 25mm lens that is optimised for ratting and rabbit. I have found this 1/2" format lens has better clarity than any of the budget C 35mm mount lenses I tried and the F2 stop is more focus tolerant so there is less need to be adjusting the focus between ranges we use.

This model has an integrated T50 illuminator with an AS pill fitted. The final electrical connection of the IR pill has been terminated with a strip connector that simplifies the user changing the LED pill when newer better LED's come available.

As with all of my spotters, I can supply an extension cable that allows the pistol grip spotter unit to be mounted or held high but the monitor can be placed out of sight inside a truck, inside a jacket or even on the grass. I've often felt it seems a bit silly holding a spotter up so any quarry behind me can easily see the monitor.

As with my other rigs, this has a genuine KPC E700 camera that is at the top of the game rather than a cheaper camera that has a space between the 'E' and the '700' Some members will know the difference. :yes:

This model is priced at £220 collected or £230 shipped RMSD.

DSCF6508_zpssfasqgqj.jpg

DSCF6506_zps0awvbjnn.jpg

DSCF6501_zpssurgnrkf.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Last ready made one's sold on the night vision forum.

New part built one's are being made, to be finalised with lenses and illuminator power to the buyers specific spotting range/field of view needs will be available in a few days.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

PM sent

Replied thanks Eric.

Please note we cannot go back to update old posts on here... and silly me forgot to bump revisions onto this thread:

The current non discount price for these is £250 with a Black Sun illuminator pill installed - or £220 with a regular Chinese AS pill installed. Prices + £10 RMSD. This can be confirmed by viewing a more recent sales post on the night vision forum uk site.

Edited by Dave-G

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...