Prescription shooting glasses - Rapid eyewear

Big Al

I've never shot in a clay competition in all my years but am considering it now. That means I need proper shooting glasses. As I wear normal glasses to correct vision, they also need to be prescription. And as I don't know if I will stick at it, I want to get them as cheaply as possible. After a quick search on PW I came across these:

http://www.rapideyewear.co.uk/product.php/101/pro-performance-plus-polarised-rx-prescription-shooting-sunglasses

Has anyone got them? Are they any good? Are there any other similarly priced options?

Thanks in advance.

Whilst proper safety glasses would always be the best solution. I asked the question about normal spectacles whilst on the CPSA safety officers course and was informed that you are allowed to shoot in normal spectacles at CPSA registered shoots.

Whilst proper safety glasses would always be the best solution. I asked the question about normal spectacles whilst on the CPSA safety officers course and was informed that you are allowed to shoot in normal spectacles at CPSA registered shoots.

Thanks for the reply.

I live in N Ireland and the UCPSA apply here. I asked a founder of UCPSA who is an experienced international and shooting coach yesterday and I was told that nothing less than shooting glasses would be enough here. "Street Glasses ", as he called them are a definite no no.

I wish it were not so, but they will double as sunglasses too.

I wear prescription varifocals , but I have a pair of transition glasses in my long range prescription and also a clear pair with the same specification, for shooting.

I bought them from Glasses Direct and have found them to be a effective and well priced option, check out their deals.

Thanks for the reply.

I live in N Ireland and the UCPSA apply here. I asked a founder of UCPSA who is an experienced international and shooting coach yesterday and I was told that nothing less than shooting glasses would be enough here. "Street Glasses ", as he called them are a definite no no.

I wish it were not so, but they will double as sunglasses too.

That's rubbish there are no such thing as shooting glasses Oakley m frames have been used for years for golf before shooting there is nothing in the UCPSA rules that says you can not wear normal glasses it just says eye protection must be worn he doesn't know what he is talking about you could wear 99p kids sun glasses and that would be OK .just use your normal glasses you will be fine .

top gun used to sell shooting glases with a prescription insert about £25 if I remember ok. look them up I thing they are still around

I tried some of these a few years ago the main fault with inserts is that you pupils need to be in the correct place in the lens, in my case they were not.

Total waste of about £100. I then went to Stewards and they are perfect, just single vision for shooting, let someone else keep the scores.

I use industrial safety glasses with polycarbonate impact-resistant prescription lenses. Current pair are Norville S0700, which have fairly large lenses and sit quite high on the nose (helpful for shooting, because the head is usually tilted forward to some extent). Mine came from a local high street optician, but they are available from spex4less.com at £78.

I tried some of these a few years ago the main fault with inserts is that you pupils need to be in the correct place in the lens, in my case they were not.

Total waste of about £100. I then went to Stewards and they are perfect, just single vision for shooting, let someone else keep the scores.

The rapid eyewear ones in the link asked for pd (pupillary distance ) along with the normal prescription. That ties in with what you say.... but at least they realise it is important.

They come in at £80 for prescription glasses. Some of the more established suppliers mentioned here are not much more. Hmm. ...

I've never shot in a clay competition in all my years but am considering it now. That means I need proper shooting glasses. As I wear normal glasses to correct vision, they also need to be prescription. And as I don't know if I will stick at it, I want to get them as cheaply as possible. After a quick search on PW I came across these:

http://www.rapideyewear.co.uk/product.php/101/pro-performance-plus-polarised-rx-prescription-shooting-sunglasses

Has anyone got them? Are they any good? Are there any other similarly priced options?

Thanks in advance.

I've used the polarised fishing version of these for about 4 years now and they have been pretty good for the price. The different colour filter covers are good and you can flip them up if it's a bit dark or whatever.

I've been meaning to try them for shooting but haven't got round to it as yet. Every time I remember they are at home with my fly fishing gear!

I will dig them out and try them with my gun tomorrow.

The only thing I'm not sure of with them is if the lens surround will get in the way as there is a distinct rim around the edge that may not give a wide field of view.

They do sell them for shooting though so maybe it's not a problem.

They feel a bit plasticky but they have stood up to a bit of abuse over 4 years or so.

Chris.

I've used the polarised fishing version of these for about 4 years now and they have been pretty good for the price. The different colour filter covers are good and you can flip them up if it's a bit dark or whatever.

I've been meaning to try them for shooting but haven't got round to it as yet. Every time I remember they are at home with my fly fishing gear!

I will dig them out and try them with my gun tomorrow.

The only thing I'm not sure of with them is if the lens surround will get in the way as there is a distinct rim around the edge that may not give a wide field of view.

They do sell them for shooting though so maybe it's not a problem.

They feel a bit plasticky but they have stood up to a bit of abuse over 4 years or so.

Chris.

I've been reading reviews on them and they seem generally very positive. I'd be interested in knowing how you get on shooting with them. Thanks for the reply.