Anyone offer advice on an old Browning A5?

Wingman

Was rummaging around some of the guns at my local RFD this morning, he has a stock of cheap knockabouts i was looking for something as another pigeon gun (like I really need another, but thats another story!!)

I came across an old Browning A5 humpback that caught my eye so we talked price and he offered it at 90 quid. Its in fair condition very original with no cracks to the stock or forend, and has a prince of wales type stock. Seemed to fit well and I really liked the way it handled. Took the barrel off and it looks like the friction seals are missing it only had a brass ring but I thought there should be another two seals ahead of that where the barrel joins the magtube. Barrel has some light pitting but he checked and its well in proof. Serial number starts with "34" which according to the Browning site makes it manufactured in 1952, the first year when FN took over production.

I walked away today to do some research and see what spares availability is, still in two minds as it will need a fair bit of work to get it back to how it should be. Would at a minimum want to get the barrel reblacked and any dents removed and a full strip and clean. May do it myself but not sure how feasible this is as a project to be fair.

Would really appreciate any comments or advice on this, interested in spares availability cost to service and anything else that may sway me either way!

Cheers guys!

Edited by Wingman

for a knockabout gun, I wouldn't even both fixing up the barrels. For the price of a used A5 just buy another when it is totally useless. Sure it is nice to have pretty blueing but unless you are looking for a project I wouldn't bother. Same with the stock, though I like the look of pretty wood and would probably do a strip and rework myself since the A5 is super easy to work and and take apart.

For the mag tube, I think there is only 1 friction ring on the A5s. Get a part diagram from Numrich's (they are listed online) if you haven't already and you can confirm that, but I thought it was just the single ring. The Franchi AL48 has a double ring but I thought the A5 was a single. Parts are readily available in the US, but getting them here might be a challenge unless you have a friend there.

thanks,

rick

Thanks Rick..

I have been looking at various videos and diagrams and it seems to mention that some have friction rings to compress the mag spring more when using lighter loads. Will keep looking, I do have a contact in the US so that may prove useful if I end up getting it..

I got a kit from Brownells in the States to revamp an old A5, think it only cost about $15 and got a local gunsmith to put all the bits in for. another tenner. Never missed a beat after that. Mine is quite badly pitted but the barrels are so thick that the gunsmith assured me it would not be a problem.

Brownells now have a site in the UK - might be worth having a look.

I got a kit from Brownells in the States to revamp an old A5, think it only cost about $15 and got a local gunsmith to put all the bits in for. another tenner. Never missed a beat after that. Mine is quite badly pitted but the barrels are so thick that the gunsmith assured me it would not be a problem.

Brownells now have a site in the UK - might be worth having a look.

Can you tell me how you have the friction rings setup on yours please?

Go for it Wingman! at that price and tidying it yourself, if an A5 does it for you, it will always repay in the field. Now, personally, I have always hated the A5, for no reason other than I don't like the look. I am sure they are great guns, they made enough of them and across the pond they are very popular. Got to love the old guns, keep them working, bringing in the pigeons