.22 rim range

kody

The "V" bull on the F-Class target is .5moa, or just a tad over 3 inches. The difference with accuracy with a good centrefire and a .22 lr is chalk and cheese.

This is a five shot group shot with my 6mmbr at 200 yards -it can be completely covered with a one pound coin.:

th_Snap_20121226_19h54m09s_001_zpsa28cf4

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

printed on the box it states 1.5k. it all depends on the angle. I think that it is 32 degrees is the optimum. A .22 has killed at over a mile and has taken an African elephant. A 22 lr isn't suitable for either of these. they were fluke shots in case anyone packs one for their African safari they wont take out lion or wildebeest either.

Not at a mile with the elephant story, research seems to suggest that it clipped an artery.

Used to shoot at Tiddesley Wood Military ranges when the club had access to it many years ago, and we shot 7.62 at 300, 400 and 600 yards and I think there was a difference of 17MOA between 400 and 600yds so that alone is @ 4ft. (Don't quote me on that; it's been a long time since I shot fullbore over that distance) The trajectory of a .22rf subsonic bullet travelling at a MV @ 1050fps is more than rainbow-like......... it's unbelievable.

I have no doubt you can shoot .22subs over the distance, but I doubt you could hold a three foot grouping with them. The so-called world record was using a 1913 supermatch and Tenex ammo.

G

The drop of a 7.62 between 400-600 is only about 6 moa.

My apologies for the mistake. I did say it was a long time ago and the 17MOA is just something I remember so it was probably from 300-600yds although you will probably know more than me these days. And I did say not to quote me on it :innocent:

As it happens it's not really important as it was just being used as a reference point to show that a .22rf couldn't possibly be dropping only 8ft over that distance.............unless you know something I don't ;)

G

On the subject of long range shooting, is there a way to work out range from the amount of holdover you have to give a target? I was playing with the 17 today shooting across a small valley so can't pace the distance accurately. Waiting for a range finder to borrow but I'm just curious. Zeroed at 100yds and I was having to give the target 3 mildot holdover

I used to shoot match rifle and I shot at 300,500 and 600yds with a 7.62 Swing match rifle.

I then used to play with my .308 off a bipod, and at 600yds you were still talking about a 6 inch group even with the rifle shooting 1MOA. I know the rifle was shooting well into the 1MOA but even on a still day was never able to guarantee a 6 inch group at that distance........600yds is a bloody long way and the slightest breeze will act upon the bullet to either take it up and left or down and right.

I know that they have an "Egg shoot" at Diggles ranges where they try to hit an egg at 600yds with only one shot, and now and then someone does manage it. But they are using top notch kit that have barrels capable of perhaps 1/4 MOA. How many vermin shooters have barrels of that quality or the ability to shoot them.

600yds easy to call.....................I have seen the wind flags blowing one way at one part of the range whilst others have been blowing the other way. On sunny days you can sometimes see the mirage running at the butts but the flags are going in the opposite direction at the firing point.

600yds easy........... :lol:

G

Good modern rifles and bullets and most of the main players go sub moa and better at 600. 6 " on the fly shoot say won't get you in the places unless it's a bad day wind wise

I never said 600 was easy just way easier than 1000 to dope ( call the wind and drop) . BTW I when I finished competitive shooting the 1000 yards best in the UK was 5 shots 2 1/2 "

A good factory gun can be expected to be slightly over moa at 1000 yards well steered and well fed

We all have different experiences and habits but if I am practicing or testing ammo from a deer class rifle I will be shooting 3 - 400 yards ( no I don't shoot deer at that range - well not for sport anyway)

Not trying to belittle you Kent; I know you have been around for a while and know the ropes. We have a humongous steel plate set up at 200yds on the deer shoot, where we can set up a zeroing target. It acts as a great backstop at the bottom of the field and anything that misses goes into the slope on the rear side (and the shooter gets slagged off for the rest of the year for missing a gert big 4X4 steel plate)

The Tikka .243 is set up at 200yds and is the most accurate rifle I have (besides the .22 match rifle) and I will happily take a bunny at that distance should one present itself (good practice innit) :innocent:

The .308 is set up at 150yds and anything much further is usually avoided these days as I shoot off sticks and don't want to wound.

Besides getting close is most of the fun followed by a good clean shot :good:

G

Graham I haven't any wish at all to shoot a hare at 600. Was just saying it's more than possible under the right conditions by a well practiced shot

It being an easier animal to stalk than a rabbit

It's sop is keep still and flatten it's ears till you get far too close

600 is an interesting range as it's about the break point. Thereafter things start getting a lot harder to call. At 800 even on what seems a good day the sighter shot becomes far more a pre- requesit