dogs howling

ROBLATCH

i have a nine month old cocker bitch and a 5 month old cocker dog.

one of them continues to hoowl none stop from 4.30 every morning ( i suspect it is the 4 month old ).

it has now got to the point that the neighbors are complaining , has anyone any advice or tips as how to stop

it or even try to reduce it.i have tried getting up from bed and walking the dog pup but as soon as i am back and the dog is back in the run it starts again.it decides to shut up at about 7 - 7.30 am. all advice - tips would be greatly appreciated

one of them continues to hoowl none stop from 4.30 every morning ( i suspect it is the 4 month old ).

it has now got to the point that the neighbors are complaining , has anyone any advice or tips as how to stop

it or even try to reduce it.i have tried getting up from bed and walking the dog pup but as soon as i am back and the dog is back in the run it starts again.it decides to shut up at about 7 - 7.30 am. all advice - tips would be greatly appreciated

Are you able to keep the dogs in a completely dark (blacked out) kennel so they dont know the sun has come up until you are ready to let them out in the morning?

Do you feed them first thing in the morning? If so they may be trying to"wag your tail" by howling to get you to bring their food earlier?

Either way I hope you get it sorted soon before the council get a noise complaint. :good:

:good: D2D

Anti bark collar

do they work as a few have advised not to use them on such a young dog ? but if so which one is recomended /

sorry forgot to mention brand etc

I sold two sprockers as pets to someone in Corby, and the dogs barked the place down, eviction threats and the whole lot. The chap bought two cheap collars and they were cured in one day. They still have a bit of a yap when someone comes to the door, but not the incessant,inane barking that drives neighbours mad. I have since kennelled the dogs, and in no way has the experience subdued their zest for fun. They were about 5 months old at the time.

Andy

It's probably got a lot to do with putting a young dog in/near a young bitch. One of 'em wants a good *******! :unsure:

they have both been together ever since owning them, yhey are perfect if kept indoors,it is only since been put in the run some 2 months ago.the howling has only started a few weeks ago.

Are you able to keep the dogs in a completely dark (blacked out) kennel so they dont know the sun has come up until you are ready to let them out in the morning?

Do you feed them first thing in the morning? If so they may be trying to"wag your tail" by howling to get you to bring their food earlier?

Either way I hope you get it sorted soon before the council get a noise complaint. :oops:

:good: D2D

no the dogs are fed around lunchtime and again early evening

i had the same probs but with barking . i have a young male and a young female both under a year living side by side in the kennel outside .both live quiet happy like this no probs at all . the male started to bark early morining when we first change the clocks . so we was advice on here to spary water at him to stop this . which we did .we had to do this for two mornings then the barking stop . :unsure: we find now if he starts all we have to do is hold up the bottle .he soon gets the messages and disappears with hes tail between hes legs back into hes kennel .so you might like to try this before you spend money on a collar .because it definitely work for us xxx suzy

i had the same probs but with barking . i have a young male and a young female both under a year living side by side in the kennel outside .both live quiet happy like this no probs at all . the male started to bark early morining when we first change the clocks . so we was advice on here to spary water at him to stop this . which we did .we had to do this for two mornings then the barking stop . :unsure: we find now if he starts all we have to do is hold up the bottle .he soon gets the messages and disappears with hes tail between hes legs back into hes kennel .so you might like to try this before you spend money on a collar .because it definitely work for us xxx suzy

this one was mentioned earlier but i must admit that i am a bit sceptical of doing this due to the soft nature - caracter of the cocker. as i am on with training the last thing i want is the dog turning against me ! or wil he.i also will i have to crawl from my bed at 4.30 every morning to eradicate the problem ?

Hello Roblatch i have 5 dog's with no fuss as barking my pet hate for nothing anyway.Even from a pup i rage them for barking with a bequiet or quiet command & through time they learn if not i enforce it with a smack on the nose.My dog sit in the open & even my 7/8 month cocker & terrier are quiet.Water can go wrong as once you try to get them swimming they dont like it as they have been reprimanded with it but not alway's.Get out there even at 4 in the morrning at & reprimand them at first with the bequiet/quiet command then you should just be able to shout out the window at them.You dont have to be hard on them just enough to get the message my neighbour's will tell you you would never know they were there.I maybe shout once a month through night at them.

Hello Roblatch i have 5 dog's with no fuss as barking my pet hate for nothing anyway.Even from a pup i rage them for barking with a bequiet or quiet command & through time they learn if not i enforce it with a smack on the nose.My dog sit in the open & even my 7/8 month cocker & terrier are quiet.Water can go wrong as once you try to get them swimming they dont like it as they have been reprimanded with it but not alway's.Get out there even at 4 in the morrning at & reprimand them at first with the bequiet/quiet command then you should just be able to shout out the window at them.You dont have to be hard on them just enough to get the message my neighbour's will tell you you would never know they were there.I maybe shout once a month through night at them.

i understan that every individual has their own alteranative as curing problems with dogs.i realy dont like the thought of hitting or tapping a working dog on the nose.(thats the dogs hunting life).

Hi Roblatch

i use a garden sprinkler on my dogs, the type that spins around, as soon as they start barking turn the sprinkler on the sound of the air and water building up alone sends them scooting into the kennels.

Lee

i think we are noe getting to the bottom of it now. i owe a thanks to nttf. cheers

Reading through this thread I have noticed that there are a number of people suggesting the use of an anti bark collar. Anti bark collars are the same as an electronic collar.....unless you are useing a cytronella, or squirt collar........with the exception that they are self administered.

In my opinion under no circumstances should a 5 month old dog be placed on one of these collars. A dog of this age nervious system is not fully developed and the reacton to the stimulation is not consistant each time it recieves a correction. Yes in some cases this works on a young dog but in most cases the dog does not link the correction to the barking, and ends up being very shy and submissive. It is my personal feeling that collars should not be used on dogs younger than 8 months.

Get up, go out and give him a squirt of water from a water bottle, or the hose with a good soilid "Be Quiet" and the problem should be righted in a couple of days.

NTTF

Reading through this thread I have noticed that there are a number of people suggesting the use of an anti bark collar. Anti bark collars are the same as an electronic collar.....unless you are useing a cytronella, or squirt collar........with the exception that they are self administered.

In my opinion under no circumstances should a 5 month old dog be placed on one of these collars. A dog of this age nervious system is not fully developed and the reacton to the stimulation is not consistant each time it recieves a correction. Yes in some cases this works on a young dog but in most cases the dog does not link the correction to the barking, and ends up being very shy and submissive. It is my personal feeling that collars should not be used on dogs younger than 8 months.

Get up, go out and give him a squirt of water from a water bottle, or the hose with a good soilid "Be Quiet" and the problem should be righted in a couple of days.

NTTF

thanks very much for the great advice nttf