Tikka lite in 223

Redgum

Just looking at buying a tikka lite in 223, A couple of questions for those who own them already, the stamping on the barrel reads Cal 223 rem 12'' made in finland, does this refer to a 1 in 12 inch twist, Also running a piece of paper down between stock and barrel in stops about 4inchs from the recoil lug, I'm guessing this is a pressure point ( or ill fitting) part of the plastic stock. I have a tikka 243 prohunter and the same in 308 with a bell and Carlson stock and both are free floating to the action ,should it be ground out or left should I buy it. If its 1:12 twist whats the heaviest soft point it will deal with.

Yes Tim , 1:12. Same as mine but lite barrel, not the varmint in super varmint stock. Will take 40-52 grain with no problem, 55gn at a push but that's hit and miss on some rifles. I couldn't get them to group but then I have a tendency to run 223 fast. 40gn blitz kings where running 3800. Thought best and kinder on barrle to slow them down a wee bit

Some have clearance just about all the way some don't. There is a couple high points in the web of the stock as long as it hose past the first two you'll be fine, unless you banging out the rounds.

Running 40gn sbk(3678fps) and vmax(3150) in same hole at 100. 52amax also same hole (3122). Both hornady loads are on hodgdons powder and the blitzkings are n130

Yours would appear to be 1-12 twist.

My .223 T3 Lite Stainless is 1-8.

Both are still available but 1-8 to special order I understand, mine fires 40-80g no problem but lives on 55g.

I am not familiar with the Tikka PROhunter, but my .243 is a Hunter. I would rate the Hunter better in all respects except weather resistance, but my T3 Lite is accurate and reliable.

Edit

Whichever way you want to look at it the T3 Lite stock is so flexible it will next to never be free floating, whatever you do with it.

Edited by Dekers

I'm thinking about getting one of these for foxing. Which is better 1/12 or 1/8 twist

I like the 1:12 as I can use the lighter bullets and run them stupid fast for fox in and around the lambs, bulket doesn't exist and the fox just rattles with a squishy sound. I can run 55gn bullets but have no need.

The 1:8 it's hit and miss on the lighter bullets, some do, some don't shoot 40gn ideally 50gn+ but you have the advantage of being able to run the heavy bullets and get out to a grand. 40gn run out and start tumbling at around 500 yards.

I would guess that most are 1-12, both have been available for a long time, but early on the 1-12 were the imported "favoured" twist.

Circa 10 years back that changed and imports as standard went to 1-8.

That lasted maybe 2, 3 or 4 years and then reverted to 1-12.

Mine happens to be 1-8 and I'm happy, but then again I suspect most 1-12 owners are happy to!

:good:

I would guess that most are 1-12, both have been available for a long time, but early on the 1-12 were the imported "favoured" twist.

Circa 10 years back that changed and imports as standard went to 1-8.

That lasted maybe 2, 3 or 4 years and then reverted to 1-12.

Mine happens to be 1-8 and I'm happy, but then again I suspect most 1-12 owners are happy to!

:good:

And mine :good:

Haha! Top draw. Haha!!!

Though some will take this as serious so legally I have to add the following. WARNING : THE 17HMR IS NOT A FOX CALIBRE AND SHOTS AT THIS SPECIES SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED OVER 50YDS UNLESS YOU HAVE YOUR DSC 1, 2, 3, AND 4. PLEASE INSPECT PHYSICALLY AND VISUALLY EACH AND EVER ROUND CHAMBERED AS SERIOUS INJURY COULD RESULT IF NO INSPECTION IS CARRIED OUT.

Phil do you know that HPS in Newent are now suppying expanding ammo, they have realised the market and as they have a premises already they are extending into the hunting market. Talking to Matt yesterday he says he wants to gradually build up some stock based on what people want. I suppose its a bit of watch this space with HPS as they are so busy with target rifles and all the Bisley stuff going on.

Though some will take this as serious so legally I have to add the following. WARNING : THE 17HMR IS NOT A FOX CALIBRE AND SHOTS AT THIS SPECIES SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED OVER 50YDS UNLESS YOU HAVE YOUR DSC 1, 2, 3, AND 4. PLEASE INSPECT PHYSICALLY AND VISUALLY EACH AND EVER ROUND CHAMBERED AS SERIOUS INJURY COULD RESULT IF NO INSPECTION IS CARRIED OUT.

Phil do you know that HPS in Newent are now suppying expanding ammo, they have realised the market and as they have a premises already they are extending into the hunting market. Talking to Matt yesterday he says he wants to gradually build up some stock based on what people want. I suppose its a bit of watch this space with HPS as they are so busy with target rifles and all the Bisley stuff going on.

you have forgotten the small game handling and small arms training 1 and 2.

good news about expanding. i keep asking them. prohunters 243 in 100gn please. plus the 224 40gn blitzkings. i only shoot about 500 deer rounds a year so not worried about the horny interlocks.

you have forgotten the small game handling and small arms training 1 and 2.

good news about expanding. i keep asking them. prohunters 243 in 100gn please. plus the 224 40gn blitzkings. i only shoot about 500 deer rounds a year so not worried about the horny interlocks.

Are you out of prohunters as have some if your desperate, also have a box of game king in the same that I have never got around to using. HPS are getting me some 55gr sierra s/ps to try in the rifle I have now bought. Once I have found a bullet it likes I will order 3 or 4 hundred along with prohunters in 243 and 308, maybe if we get together on the order it may be cheaper. Gave up on the Hornet, just could not get it to shoot a group consistently as much as I tried to reload as consistently as possible, I didn't like the rimfire type bolt in the anschutz, seemed sloppy and could not use my bore guide. I rang a local RFD to buy some ready made hornet in 35gr as a last ditch attempt to see if it was me or the rifle and he mentioned he had an almost new Tikka in 223 at a good price, got a good trade in for the Hornet so deal done. I really wanted something that was small deer legal anyway and reloading cost will not be much more than Hornet with the added advantage as will use the same powder as I use for 308, HPS have once fired 223 brass and the cases will fit my annealer without modification. Did you read up on Mapp gas in the end?

Edited by Redgum

thanks Tim but i have a few prohunters left. didnt like the gamekings, to much damage on roe.

so you bought a tikka t3 223 in 1:12. good luck with that, about the worse you could have done. i think the hornet would have been better.

LMAO!!!!

thanks Tim but i have a few prohunters left. didnt like the gamekings, to much damage on roe.

so you bought a tikka t3 223 in 1:12. good luck with that, about the worse you could have done. i think the hornet would have been better.

LMAO!!!!

Oh and if you were after any 223 once fired lapua cases I just bought their last 1000 cases, they have got 63 multi fired ppu left though, should suit your accuracy requirements :yes::whistling:

Oh and if you were after any 223 once fired lapua cases I just bought their last 1000 cases, they have got 63 multi fired ppu left though, should suit your accuracy requirements :yes::whistling:

I have a few lapua and norma kicking around but I do like my ppu, next best thing to Winchester.

If your over there and they do have some

• 2 weeks later...

Well after a few weeks of owning this rifle I must say its now in the running for 'my favourite rifle award'. Not floated the barrel as the part were it touches seems to be on purpose, ( had intended to float the barrel but no need as the thing is so darn accurate as it is ). The plastic stock is light and rigid, and the gun shoots like a dream, took 9 shots to get a good load ( 3x3 different loads). Perfect fox and Muntjac rifle that just likes to put all the bullets in the same place. :good: