US skeet choke - British equivalent?

Houseplant

After throughly confusing myself trying to convert US to British choke nomenclature and then adjusting for shooting steel, one question remains, what is the British equivalent of US "skeet". I have Invector Plus chokes if it makes any difference. Apologies if it is a stupid question.

I've completed my own reference chart, what a confusing business! It seemed wrong using a "skeet" and "imp. cyl." on ducks, but knew I was on the right lines. With steel, it converts to the British equivalent of 1/4 and 1/2 choke. Bear in mind that I'm doing close range flight pond shooting and practical experience tells me it works.

Any comments on my chart?

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-22%20at%2012.07.

I've completed my own reference chart, what a confusing business! It seemed wrong using a "skeet" and "imp. cyl." on ducks, but knew I was on the right lines. With steel, it converts to the British equivalent of 1/4 and 1/2 choke. Bear in mind that I'm doing close range flight pond shooting and practical experience tells me it works.

Any comments on my chart?

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-22%20at%2012.07.

Call them what you like, you will also find different manufacturers make them different sizes, but usually close.

As far as I'm aware there is no designated, accepted, UNIVERSAL size for each, and I guess we are so far down the line there is not likely to be one now either.

Call them what you like, you will also find different manufacturers make them different sizes, but usually close.

As far as I'm aware there is no designated, accepted, UNIVERSAL size for each, and I guess we are so far down the line there is not likely to be one now either.

Fair enough, but having grown up with the British system, it's been difficult converting from US and then for lead. At least this gives me a rough idea.

Full to Xxx full depending on the maker. When you start talking turkey chokes you are talking in points of constriction rather than nomenclature. A nominal full choke is usually around 30 points of constriction ( 0.030" or 30/1000"). Turkey chokes might be that open but usually they start going up from there. At the top end you will find 60 points of constriction for hunting and even 90 points for turkey card shooting. That is nearly a tenth of an inch of constriction.

Rick

Full to Xxx full depending on the maker. When you start talking turkey chokes you are talking in points of constriction rather than nomenclature. A nominal full choke is usually around 30 points of constriction ( 0.030" or 30/1000"). Turkey chokes might be that open but usually they start going up from there. At the top end you will find 60 points of constriction for hunting and even 90 points for turkey card shooting. That is nearly a tenth of an inch of constriction.

Rick

It was meant to be light hearted, but demonstrates yet again, call them what you like, the size can vary! :good:

I have a Miroku MK38 sporter stamped 18.7mm on each barrel. I have some Teague extended chokes and when measured against the actual bore of the barrels show the following measurements.

IC (1/4) = 8 thou.

Mod (1/2) = 17thou.

LI Mod (5/8) = 21thou.

I Mod (3/4) = 25 thou.

L Full (7/8) = 30 thou.

It's irrelevant what's stamped on them because the reality of it is what shows up on the pattern plate, it's just a guide and in my case almost a choke size out. Not all barrels are exactly the same size and the same chokes would give a different reading when miked to another set of barrels.