.223 or .204 that is the question

Zetter

This is a question that you can only answer with your heart rather than your head.

Been there - started off with a .223, then 22-250 (tried to convince myself that the added range over the 223 would be handy), then a 17 Rem (loved the idea of a little bullet whistling along would answer all of my prayers), and then back to a 223.

I can honestly say that nothing I have shot with a 223 could have been bettered by using a more exotic calibre. but I had loads of fun swapping about.

Most vermin is shot at ranges less than 250 yards, with in my case 150 yards is probably the best average. In my opinion 250 yards is an easy range for a 223 as long as you zero an inch high at 100 yards.

It all depends on the size of your pocket and your dreams. Gentlemen may prefer blondes, but I have had some cracking fun with the odd brunette....

I currently use both for foxing/crow shooting, both do the job I want them too and never had issues with them for stopping foxes, although I do prefer the .204 as it is just nicer to shoot, to me it seems quieter, flatter at longer range and beats the .223 for accuracy (my current .223 is getting a bit long in the tooth though).

I've had both a 204 and 223

My own opinion I preferred the 223, on the first night of lamping with a 204 I had 2 foxes run after being shot... I got it into my head that the bullet just zipped thru them at such a speed it didn't cause enough damage, I never had a runner with my 223... But the 204 on crows at 150 meters was amazing, they just exploded...so I just used it for corvids.. I sold it after a few months... I'm more than sure the 204 is more than enough to drop foxes but I was put off after the runners.. It was proberly operator error on my part but I didn't want to see anymore foxes jump up in the air biting themselves then bolt off up the fields... But the 223 just dropped them on the spot... I've now gone to a 243 for everything and a 6.5x55 for larger deer...

What 6.5 you get Rich and how do you find it. Fancy a credmoor myself

What 6.5 you get Rich and how do you find it. Fancy a credmoor myself

Tikka t3x not fired it yet mate, still putting it all together.. The rifle will be on its way to uk Gunworks for a few bits done, trigger and bolt handle.. Soon as its up and running pop over for a play..