Cheerio Northern Ireland

chrisjh

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Says who? Sure britain was never going to leave the EU, and look what happened there. People over here let their bigotry and hatred blind them from thinking rationally. I would compare the unionist point of view to a venus fly trap in the rain. As soon as you mention a United Ireland, unionists surround themselves in this cocoon of ill conceived thoughts and opinions, similar to the way a venus fly trap will close up on heavy rain. It's never guna happen so it's nat. Well, in a weeks time ordnance you go online and do one of your wee google statistics searches, just to see how many loyal unionists have betrayed their nationality just to obtain an Irish passport.

The insecurity runs deep.

Well said.

I think itll take a few more generations for the bigotry to die out before we can even hope for people to look at it with a level head!

Im sad to say i doubt very much that any unionst up here will be swayed no mater how good economic prospects may become, tribal divides will win as usual!

Edited by Euget123

Says who? Sure britain was never going to leave the EU, and look what happened there. People over here let their bigotry and hatred blind them from thinking rationally. I would compare the unionist point of view to a venus fly trap in the rain. As soon as you mention a United Ireland, unionists surround themselves in this cocoon of ill conceived thoughts and opinions, similar to the way a venus fly trap will close up on heavy rain. It's never guna happen so it's nat. Well, in a weeks time ordnance you go online and do one of your wee google statistics searches, just to see how many loyal unionists have betrayed their nationality just to obtain an Irish passport.

The insecurity runs deep.

Keep dreaming. :lol:

I've been keeping my head down for a while. But feel the urge to get involved with this one. I heard one figure today saying there has been a 200% increase in the applications in NI for Irish passports.

Now, I dare to suggest this is absolutely no indication of a sudden urge to leave the UK and join Ireland.

It's simply clever people reacting, somewhat over zealously and hedging their bets post brexit.

Or, in other words having your cake and eating it.

There isn't going to be a border poll here. And if there was a majority would vote to stay in the UK. Whoever thinks the institutionalised politics of this place has somehow been swept aside in a mass hysteria of suddenly realising we want to be European citizens, has either been sniffing something very strong or lost a grip on reality.

Edited by Dr D

I've been keeping my head down for a while. But feel the urge to get involved with this one. I heard one figure today saying there has been a 200% increase in the applications in NI for Irish passports.

Now, I dare to suggest this is absolutely no indication of a sudden urge to leave the UK and join Ireland.

It's simply clever people reacting, somewhat over zealously and hedging their bets post brexit.

There isn't going to be a border poll here. And if there was a majority would vote to stay in the UK. Whoever thinks the institutionalised politics of this place has somehow be swept aside in a mass hysteria of suddenly realising we want to be European citizens, has either been sniffing something very strong or lost a grip on reality.

All in good time. It's disappointing to see so many Irishmen being so anti-Irish.

All in good time. It's disappointing to see so many Irishmen being so anti-Irish.

And therein lies your problem, the assumption that people in this place view themselves as Irish, rather than British. It's not a case of being anti-Irish, it just they don't want to be leave the UK to become part of another sovereign state. You knew that. Everyone living here knows that! That's why we spent decades killing each other pointlessly.

There isn't going to be a border poll here. And if there was a majority would vote to stay in the UK. Whoever thinks the institutionalised politics of this place has somehow be swept aside in a mass hysteria of suddenly realising we want to be European citizens, has either been sniffing something very strong or lost a grip on reality.

Spot on

And therein lies your problem, the assumption that people in this place view themselves as Irish, rather than British. It's not a case of being anti-Irish, it just they don't want to be leave the UK to become part of another sovereign state. You knew that. Everyone living here knows that! That's why we spent decades killing each other pointlessly.

Spot on. :good:

Hard to call yourself british if you weren't born in britain. If you were born on the Island of Ireland, you're Irish. That's pretty straight forward to understand. Allocating yourself an alternative nationality is just living in a dreamworld. It's like you're trying desperately to keep hold of an identity that isn't yours in the first place. Clutching at straws if you will.

Hard to call yourself british if you weren't born in britain. If you were born on the Island of Ireland, you're Irish. That's pretty straight forward to understand. Allocating yourself an alternative nationality is just living in a dreamworld. It's like you're trying desperately to keep hold of an identity that isn't yours in the first place. Clutching at straws if you will.

There is little point in you being involved in this discussion. You don't recognise that people born in the 6 counties can be British. But it is their right! Accepted by the people of island both sides of the border in 1998. And guess what it was recognised through a referendum!!!!!! And it was contained in an international treaty! The good Friday agreement lodged at the united nations no less by which sovereign nation state? Ohhhhh, that would have been the Republic.

So, in conclusion, I am not living in a dream world, but you seem to be! And you don't appear to accept the legitimacy of referendums to boot, but you're advocating a border poll?

Edited by Dr D

Get it right. :rolleyes:

Nationality and citizenship

Northern Ireland is part of the UK. However, under the Good Friday Agreement, people born in Northern Ireland can choose to be British citizens, Irish citizens or both. If they choose to be both British and Irish citizens, this means they have a dual citizenship.

Edited by ordnance