holes in garden

roadkill

Started to notice loads of holes appearing in the soil that are about a inch wide that tunnel of into the ground, i have counted around 12 now, even when i rake over them the next day they are all back. I first thought mice or rats, not sure what they are after or doing as i have no food source, the borders are new and are raised with bags of garden centre topsoil.

Anyway today i found this and thought this was the culprit even though i have no mole mounds

DSC_0001_zpsys9mscky.jpg

But tonight when watering the planter on the right, which stands a foot and half off the ground and sits on a 16ft patio, i spotted a hole in the soil of it.. Now i don't believe any mole would get into that, so now im thinking mice or rats again..

any help would be great, just for info i have seen no droppings

13239484_10156935397910321_5234464645830

DSC_0003_zpsl4u9qz37.jpg

I have got Voles in my garden they seemed to be all over the place last year but not so many this year they have moved in to my neighbours gardens they do not bother me much so I just leave them be.

Voles are very much like mice to look at and live on eating plant roots they could get into your large planters if they think there is something to eat in there nice jucy roots.

Re the Mole just out of interest was it a cat that killed it.

Edited by four-wheel-drive