Sat nav advice please

harrycatcat1

My Tom tom sat nav has started sending me in the wrong direction and generally playing up.

It was only a cheap one and is over 10 years old but had speed cameras warning on it and a postcode search.

I dont want europe maps just UK and only use it occasionaly so dont want to spend the earth on one.

Which one would you recommend me to buy?

I have done a search on here but couldnt find any posts with "sat nav"

Regards

Hcc

Got an Android phone? See if it has GPS (most have) and use Google Maps...

Works just as well!

I have, but I tried the other day to get google maps near Market Rasen and there was no signal so the "thing" on the screen just kept going around, do the sat navs work off a "satellite" signal.

Also would it eat into your "data allowance" on a say two hour jouney, or better getting a seperate garmin/tomtom?

I dont know.

Got an Android phone? See if it has GPS (most have) and use Google Maps...

Works just as well!

Yes it does..most of the time..and if you have an internet connection.

I use Navmii on my phone ,its free and you download all the maps for whatever country.

It uses open source maps that are sometimes better than googles (more detail)

It worked great in Canada,where I didnt have mobile internet.

Edit

As above,does not need an internet connection,whilst google does.

Edited by Rewulf

I use Navmii on my phone ,its free and you download all the maps for whatever country.

Edit

Thanks for the tip!

Edit

Sorry pal I am as thick as a brick about these things, so it doesnt need an internet connection?

How does that work?

Sorry pal I am as thick as a brick about these things, so it doesnt need an internet connection?

How does that work?

You download all the maps for the UK at home,using your home broadband (or someone elses !)

I think the UK is about 250 mb

Next time you need to use it ,just switch the app on ,put your address in and voila,just like your tom tom.

No internet needed,and free regular updates,speed cams ect.

Just tried to download it, not enough storage back to plan A, Thanks anyway.

Get a micro sd

card for your phone,they are cheap as chips now.

Edited by Rewulf

You download all the maps for the UK at home,using your home broadband (or someone elses !)

Next time you need to use it ,just switch the app on ,put your address in and voila,just like your tom tom.

Get a micro sd

500mb, just downloaded it!

Get a micro sd

Would I get one off fleebay?

What "size" mb thing would I need or would you suggest?

Would my phone have a micro sd card? If so is it too small?

If I took it up to Tesco where I got the phone would they fix me up with one?

My phone is a Motorola android

I like the idea of this Navmii

Which Motorola?

All SD cards are the same size.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3386312.htm

There you go, a tenner, just set the phone to save things to SD not internal memory and all set!

Just stripped my phone down and the flippin sd card is 2GB, I cant get my breath !!!!

My phone is a Motolola model XT1021 (off the back of the phone)

So if I get a 32GB card it should fly :good:

Navmii here we come, thanks to everyone that has contributed their advice :good:

Hcc

Which Motorola?

All SD cards are the same size.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3386312.htm

There you go, a tenner, just set the phone to save things to SD not internal memory and all set!

What the Mole said :good: but 32 gig is a bit overkill tbh

Just go to ASDA for the cheapest 8gig is about 4-5 quid last time I looked,ask someone nicely and theyll fit it for you,unless your phone is really old ,micro sd is the one.

Edited by Rewulf

What the Mole said :good: but 32 gig is a bit overkill tbh

Just go to ASDA for the cheapest 8gig is about 4-5 quid last time I looked,ask someone nicely and theyll fit it for you,unless your phone is really old ,micro sd is the one.

I will take your advice but my phone regularly says "not enough storage" to do stuff, would 8 be enough? Saying that its 4 times more than I have at the moment.

Navmii looks good but dont get ripped off.I kept getting popup adds at the top of the map,so i purchased the add on to stop them.Mmmmmm still get them.Swapped to syngic.

Its funny you should say that as when I tried to download it that flippin Candy Crush nonsense came up

Your phone is a Motorola Moto E, it uses MicroSD cards, 7dayshop are very cheap and sell decent cards, 8Gb will be big enough but for the extra £1.14 you'll get a 16Gb which will leave you space for any videos or music you may want to have as well.

https://www.7dayshop.com/8gb-micro-sd-cards/kingston-micro-sd-sdhc-memory-card-class-4-8gb

https://www.7dayshop.com/16gb-micro-sd-cards/philips-micro-sd-sdhc-memory-card-class-10-with-full-size-sd-adapter-16gb

I have Sygic on my mobile, my friends went to Florida and borrowed my TomTom, got it "lost" when going through security at Heathrow on the way out. I'd put Sygic on their mobile just in case and they said it was terrible!, they kept getting lost!.

So far I've found Map Factor Navigator to be pretty good, https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mapfactor.navigator

Edited by phaedra1106

Your phone is a Motorola Moto E, it uses MicroSD cards, 7dayshop are very cheap and sell decent cards, 8Gb will be big enough but for the extra £1.14 you'll get a 16Gb which will leave you space for any videos or music you may want to have as well.

https://www.7dayshop.com/8gb-micro-sd-cards/kingston-micro-sd-sdhc-memory-card-class-4-8gb

https://www.7dayshop.com/16gb-micro-sd-cards/philips-micro-sd-sdhc-memory-card-class-10-with-full-size-sd-adapter-16gb

I have Sygic on my mobile, my friends went to Florida and borrowed my TomTom, got it "lost" when going through security at Heathrow on the way out. I'd put Sygic on their mobile just in case and they said it was terrible!, they kept getting lost!.

So far I've found Map Factor Navigator to be pretty good, https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mapfactor.navigator