Cheap scopes are they worth the money?

hwr

As the title suggests , is a leupold 20 times better than a tasco?

If money was no object I'd just let the gun shop do a sales pitch and spend lots of money.

So how much do you have to spend to get the job done? (i'm thinking 2 different jobs, a .22 and a .17hmr)

I was thinking maybe Hawke varmint 2 6-24 for the .17 and not sure for the .22

can I get away with cheaper?

Thanks H

I have a £500+ 6.5 x 20 x 40 Leupold VXIII on my HMR and a £150 Webley Platinum 4 x 12 x 50 on Fac Air Rifle ..........

Where my eyesight is concerned the cheaper one knocks spots off the leup when light starts to fade :good:

The leup will withstand knocks and field abuse and still hold zero whereeas the Webley needs kid gloves :good:

Some excellant glass for around the £150 mark ,Simmons or hawke would be my preference and more than suitable for the rifles your talking about . :/

I have a £500+ 6.5 x 20 x 40 Leupold VXIII on my HMR and a £150 Webley Platinum 4 x 12 x 50 on Fac Air Rifle ..........

Where my eyesight is concerned the cheaper one knocks spots off the leup when light starts to fade :good:

The leup will withstand knocks and field abuse and still hold zero whereeas the Webley needs kid gloves :good:

Some excellant glass for around the £150 mark ,Simmons or hawke would be my preference and more than suitable for the rifles your talking about . :/

Thanks Deadeye excellent feed back and points taken and the same for IL, much appreciated , anyone else care to comment.

cheers H

When using your gun, just think how much time you spend looking through the scope. I can assure you its alot more time than actually pulling the trigger. If your scope is foggy or unclear its gonna be a right pain in the butt. When choosing a scope decide what you want from it. i.e reticle type, field of view, magnification etc etc then you can make a more informed decision.

The issue before about the leupold allowing less light in at dusk, is because these are made in America where it is often more sunny and hence light gathering capabilities aren't really an issue. On the other hand a European made scope such as Schmidt/Meopta/Zeiss where more hunting is done at dawn/dusk are generally better at light gathering. (Having said that it will depend on the scope magnification and objective diameters too).

In essence spend as much as you can afford on the necessary scope, it'll be worth it + it'll last longer too + better re-sale value, the list is endless. Furthermore it will eliminate any doubts over you or the guns accuracy if anything goes wrong which can be a major pain. :good:

"I have a £500+ 6.5 x 20 x 40 Leupold VXIII on my HMR and a £150 Webley Platinum 4 x 12 x 50 on Fac Air Rifle ..........

Where my eyesight is concerned the cheaper one knocks spots off the leup when light starts to fade " :good:

I too have a leupold scope as does my shooting partner..he has the same scope as you Ive where as mine is the european 3x9x50 in 30mm tube.His has a target reticule,mine is a duplex and mine is usable at dusk ages after his isn,t...50mm object lense allows more light gathering,so if your going to shoot a lot at dusk and dawn HWR then this is preferential.

As Ive said Hawke are real value for money...especially on a .22 or .17 where you won,t be shooting at long range ie under 100 and 200yds respectively.

Good luck :good:

GH

i use cheaper scopes as its all i want to afford i have a hawke airmax 4-12-44 on my fac s400 and a cheap nikko sterling 6-40 on my s400,i have a rhino 4-16-40 for my 22 rf when it comes.they all do my job ok.it would break my heart spending big money on a scope,i would rather have another gun instead. i spend what i can afford,although i m not working at big ranges

I have always been told when buying rifles and scopes always spend as much money on the glass as you can afford. like people have already said thats the part that makes the gun, i know a friend of mine will spend more on a decent scope than he will on a rifle and i know the last rifle he brought was a sako just over the grand mark,

ive got an old tasco scope on my .22, one of the old "real" tasco scope as it were, i believe now they are made by a different company??

i think i paid around 200 for it and its spot on for lamping very clear :good:

IMHO the Leupold is a 'better' scope but with that mag and that objective lens ratio I wouldn't expect it to be very good in low light. Let's not forget the Americans like their long range shooting but they don't shoot at night, so it is only when they went fior the 'European' market that have added light gathering 50mm objective lenses and 30mm tubes to their range.

I would always say get the best scope on your rifle you can afford, but look through as many as you can before deciding, there are some some great mid range scopes out there as some of the others have suggested.

Before you do anything you need to decide what range you will be shooting at and if dusk/dawn/nightime shooting/target shooting etc. These will all affect the type of reticle to go for and the mag/objective lens size etc.

I had a Hawke Reflex 3-9x50 mil dot on my rimfire and that was absolutely fine.

I have had the cheapest scopes going which are ok for standard air rifles but after awhile you want to get something clearer so you step upto the £100-£200 bracket. what a marked improvement, so much clearer. Then i bought a Leupy vx111 and thats when i noticed that they realy are worth the money! For some reason i sold and down graded to a merlin and mtc viper scopes however these are very good they are just not as easy to use, the eye releif needs to be perfect otherwise they white out! unlike my leupy's. So i have now sold them and have got Leupy Mk4's now and even though they are far more expensive. They realy are worth it. I can just aim and shoot, i have no problem with eye relief or white out etc as they have a much better and usuable optics..... I will never go back. Leupy vx111 and mk4 for me now.

For some reason i sold and down graded to a merlin and mtc viper scopes however these are very good they are just not as easy to use, the eye releif needs to be perfect otherwise they white out!

:stupid: yup noticed that too. Are you using the sun shade? It helps a bit when lamping. If the more expensive makers used the MTC reticle I'd bite their hand off.

For some reason i sold and down graded to a merlin and mtc viper scopes however these are very good they are just not as easy to use, the eye releif needs to be perfect otherwise they white out!

:stupid: yup noticed that too. Are you using the sun shade? It helps a bit when lamping. If the more expensive makers used the MTC reticle I'd bite their hand off.

It does it during the day too. They are very awkward to use compared to my Leupy's! Thats the prob the mtc rets are absolutely fantstic. Like you say shame others dont do them....

It does it during the day too. They are very awkward to use compared to my Leupy's! Thats the prob the mtc rets are absolutely fantstic. Like you say shame others dont do them....

Yeah, I shoot prone nearly all the time, so I have the eye relief tailored for that. Different head position on the stock then if I'm shooting from the vehicle but once ya bear it in mind it only takes half a second to do :stupid:

looking thru johns mtc viper id say go for one if cash is tight. its a beauty. cash no prob then i cant rate nightforce highly enough, never so happy to hand over a big lump of cash! wouldnt swap it for anything. have looked thru most top end scopes (friendly gun shop)

:blink: Limited budget HAWKIE all the way voted best value for money i think its 2 years running I have a hawkie on my .222 elum rect and it is the dog for lamping as thats how i do most of my shooting and i head shoot rabbits at 200 yards no problem if you dont beleve me ask roadkill

hi what hawkie are you using i was thinking of getting a nighteye 6x24x56, would this be ok for lamping

The debate goes on

seems like about 120 quid will get me something useable which will take a knock or two and still be down to me if I miss after.

So which is the best of Hawke and MTC?

guess its just down to personal pref

question

Is eye relief the distance between the scope and eye?

I reckon Nightforce should be good for 750 quid! a bit out of my price range, oh and who are s&b?

Hey just a thought,does anyone shoot without a scope?