Electronic fox calls/Crow caller

Donegalcharlie

I use a Foxpro Spitfire caller, which are no longer made. It works well, and has a range of around 85 yards. I have found that be taking the sound away from you, the Fox concentrates on that, and not where you are positioned. Obviously, wind direction etc has to be right. I sometimes use mine with a 'rocking rabbit' decoy and some bait. That way, the Fox get's sight,sound and smell. There are good callers on the market, one being the Icotec. it's supposed to have a much greater range than most callers.

That icotec one looks te dogs ******** I was looking at them all last nyt the GC500 is £180 suhn but range is 300 yards an that's a rabbit decoy with it. It's still a good bit of money so that's why I was asking who uses what an if there any good. I like hand calling but the fox comes straight to me an you can some times loose them because of sight sound or they wind you.. If I thought they were good is buy one today

Mini Colibri. Got mine years ago in a boxed kit - caller, external power lead and external speaker - which was lucky as the caller fell from the roof of the Land Rover and damaged the speaker so now have to use the external one. My card has one particular call which I use all the time and is deadly. Can only describe it using morse code - the dots (full stops too small so used 'stars') relate to short squeak and low volume and the dashes, the opposite.

****** _ _ *** repeated. Used with mother's 'at (as per Steve_b_Wales) - see Vermin Forum 'mother's 'at) - if there's anything within a couple of hundred yards or more, it'll bring them in.

That icotec one looks te dogs ******** I was looking at them all last nyt the GC500 is £180 suhn but range is 300 yards an that's a rabbit decoy with it. It's still a good bit of money so that's why I was asking who uses what an if there any good. I like hand calling but the fox comes straight to me an you can some times loose them because of sight sound or they wind you.. If I thought they were good is buy one today

This is where the remote callers come into their own. Providing you are in cover, and the wind is right, the Fox will have no idea you are there, and will go straight towards the caller/decoy/bait. I spray the ground with 'horse hoof' lure which works really well.

I have a Western Rivers game caller which is programmable, comes with a decoy (which is also remotely operated) and has a range of over 200yds. I have added an external battery pack which is brilliant. (but you need to charge that up, not like last night, 20 mins and it was flat,,, plonker)

You are allowed to pull in crows with electronic callers but not to shoot.

I have just purchased the icotec gc500 after reading good reviews and utube videos.

Off out fox shooting tomorrow night to see how it fares.

I have tried the caller out in my back garden with the mouse call and my cats came running up to it sniffing at the speaker.

My first impressions as I opened the box was that it's a fairly small and lightweight unit. It looks OK but doesn't have the same feel of quality as my nitesite spotter extreme does but then there's the he'll of a difference in price.

The hand set has soft touch buttons with back screen lighting if you require it.

The controls are very simple and selecting which call you wish to use is a breeze.

Having up to a 21 character space per line is handy for naming all your calls and numbering them.

I'm looking forward to downloading some and adding them to the collection although not having tried this yet looks easy. Then handset takes a standard 9v battery and the main unit takes 4x AA. It can hold up to 200 calls so having a favourite button you can store up to 6 at any one time from your main menu.

On the whole it seems to be value for money but the real test will be to see if it performs as well in the field, fingers crossed on my first outing with it.

Edited by superspark

• 2 weeks later...

Its a bit hit and miss, there are some calls on their web site but I have found a few by searching the internet. just look for free downloadable mp3 files. down load them to your pc and its realy easy to load them on your unit.

My advice would be to buy another sd card and load the new ones to this card. you can number them as well as naming them, good luck mate and let us know how you get on.