cost to have a car transported 140 miles

four-wheel-drive

I have looked and can't see anywhere on the www.gov site where it says vehicles without a current mot are to be driven on the public highway.

From the gov.uk website:

If the MOT has run out

You cant drive your vehicle on the road if the MOT has run out. You can be prosecuted if caught.

The only exceptions are to drive it:

to or from somewhere to be repaired

to a pre-arranged MOT test

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/when-to-get-an-mot

Edited by LowStandards

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And this car is not tested so it cant be taxed, so moving it on plates is belt and braces if the car is Booked in for an MOT and insured or the Driver at least or firm is inssured its legal to drive to the Testing station. Where is the miss info here exactly. ?

WOW! you are a sore loosere arnt you. :rolleyes:

If your vehicle doesn't have an MOT you can drive it to or from a pre-arranged MOT or to or from a pre-arranged appointment to have defects remedied that were discovered on a previous test. You can drive your vehicle on a road without road tax in these circumstances.

This vehicle has known faults.it has failed an mot.nothing has been done to rectify these faults.the purchaser/ driver knows of these faults and it's lack of current mot.so should not be driven home. I don't quite know what defence you would dream up if something was to happen and you ended up in court because you caused harm or worse to someone while on your little legal jaunt.but I suppose in your world there is a book of them.

How would you take your car to the mot station when it had lapsed? And dont give me the 'i would never let it lapse' thing as thats not what we are on about

here

As i have answered this I will let you know I currently have 6 vehicles that require a yearly mot test and these are all presented for test some three weeks before the current one expires.if they are found to be needing any repairs they are left at the station and collected once these have been done and the new certificate issued.my other vehicles do not go for mot as they are not as yet three years old.

Now i will take my smug head for a cup of tea

Edited by bostonmick

If that ever was the case I would take it to the closest mot station not one some three hours drive away.and as this car has already been declared unfit for the road it should be transported not driven in this case.

Thats your perogative but booking it in at an mot station local to the new owner the person testing the car is a legal and responsible way never mind ecconomical practical way of getting the car MOTd , Booking it in 3 hours from home is pointless and could well involve a 140 mile return trip to an Re test, how is that being either responsible or in any way practical.?

This vehicle has known faults.it has failed an mot.nothing has been done to rectify these faults.the purchaser/ driver knows of these faults and it's lack of current mot.so should not be driven home. I don't quite know what defence you would dream up if something was to happen and you ended up in court because you caused harm or worse to someone while on your little legal jaunt.but I suppose in your world there is a book of them.

Yes and if he Changes the tyres as i sujested i would do, He books it in for an MOT and the Other work to be done for an MOT, its totaly legal, cars are not trucks they can move about when they fail, you can test a car as many times as it takes and move it about. If you take a Tested car in for a New MOT folowing work folowing an acident or just to give it a longer test, your old mot is void the second it goes on the systen since last year, But you can still take it home or to have the work done without a test in order to get it re tested, its worded in such a way to make life possible for people. Drive the car to tesscos on the way from the test and you will be in trouble, As long as its in conection with getting it AN MOT he is fine its that simple.

As i have answered this I will let you know I currently have 6 vehicles that require a yearly mot test and these are all presented for test some three weeks before the current one expires.if they are found to be needing any repairs they are left at the station and collected once these have been done and the new certificate issued.my other vehicles do not go for mot as they are not as yet three years old.

Now i will take my smug head for a cup of tea

If your car witn three weeks left on it is tested and fails the remaining test period is gone, its not like it used to be technicaly 13 months MOTs etc, all that went last year, But you can move as stated above re booked in for an MOT.

If your car witn three weeks left on it is tested and fails the remaining test period is gone, its not like it used to be technicaly 13 months MOTs etc, all that went last year, But you can move as stated above re booked in for an MOT.

You really must live in a strange world.i had one vehicle tested three weeks ago and it came out with thirteen months on the certificate. Also two others done earlier in the year the same.

Just get a pre 1960 car job done :)

In theory that sounds a better option, MOTs in reality are a bit of a waste of time. They are only a legal requirement and no indicator of safetey of a cars roadworthyness for the rest of the year, its still the responsibility of the driver to have a roadworthy car at all times.

MOTs for classics started to compromise MOT testers as the cars failed to meet criteria in the modern world, so the MOT was dropped, but the cars still have to be in a roadworthy state, and if owners of classics fail to keep these cars in a roadworthy condition they are open to prosicution, in a way a good thing, but for the less knowledgable of classic car owners a bit of a concen.

If all cars were MOT exempt i feel neglect and its accompanying potential dangers would quickly folow, the MOT at least should identify potential dangerous condition up to some extent, leaving this up to an old car collector to decide could be a good or a bad thing dependent on the owners technical knowledge and abilities.

Nothing in any of this is Full proff and an MOT as i said states a car was ok on that day one day a year, it gives no prof of roadworthyness whatsoever.

And this car

WOW! you are a sore loosere arnt you. :roll eyes

I am losing nothing.if the op decides to follow the advice of the keyboard barristers on here he will be the one having to answer any consequences. And the odds are stacked against him. With all the camera's there are to check vehicles.my points are more on the safety aspect of this I believe it shows a total lack of consideration to other road users or the public taking a vehicle unfit for the road on a drive of that distance.by the time you pay costs to get to where the car is and pay for the mot you know it is going to fail and the fuel for this journey you may as well hire a trailer or pay someone to get it for you.if as someone quite cleverly suggested you cancel the mot once home what defence would you have if the letter from the police arrived a few days later because it was picked up on a camera.if you are going to advise people of ways of trying to get around the law at least think it through properly.

You really must live in a strange world.i had one vehicle tested three weeks ago and it came out with thirteen months on the certificate. Also two others done earlier in the year the same.

Not possible now sorry its remaining MOT period is void from when it fails on the system now full stop.

Yes and if he Changes the tyres as i sujested i would do, He books it in for an MOT and the Other work to be done for an MOT, its totaly legal, cars are not trucks they can move about when they fail, you can test a car as many times as it takes and move it about. If you take a Tested car in for a New MOT folowing work folowing an acident or just to give it a longer test, your old mot is void the second it goes on the systen since last year, But you can still take it home or to have the work done without a test in order to get it re tested, its worded in such a way to make life possible for people. Drive the car to tesscos on the way from the test and you will be in trouble, As long as its in conection with getting it AN MOT he is fine its that simple.

So what are you suggesting he has the tyres fitted in the sellers home town not knowing the area or the prices or does he hire a van and take the tyres and tools with him to change them.bit of defeating the object really as he does not want to spend a lot. As I said try to think through your suggestions first.

And this car

WOW! you are a sore loosere arnt you. :roll eyes

I am losing nothing.if the op decides to follow the advice of the keyboard barristers on here he will be the one having to answer any consequences. And the odds are stacked against him. With all the camera's there are to check vehicles.my points are more on the safety aspect of this I believe it shows a total lack of consideration to other road users or the public taking a vehicle unfit for the road on a drive of that distance.by the time you pay costs to get to where the car is and pay for the mot you know it is going to fail and the fuel for this journey you may as well hire a trailer or pay someone to get it for you.if as someone quite cleverly suggested you cancel the mot once home what defence would you have if the letter from the police arrived a few days later because it was picked up on a camera.if you are going to advise people of ways of trying to get around the law at least think it through properly.

The law is all that counts here not your take on the law based on what mood your in today, the OP is over 18 he can vote and read just the same documentation all the rest of us can, and draw his or make his own conclusions on what he wants to do, i told him what i would be prepared to do and even advised i would fit new tyres. Its up to him now.

Now talking of documentation go away and check up on the MOT failing thing, if your car goes in for test with a months MOT remaining goes on the system and fails, your remaining month as gone there and then, Before you could take it in it fail you do the work and still count the remaining month, you cant do this now if the CAR FAILS> its not legal anymore.

The law is all that counts here not your take on the law based on what mood your in today, the OP is over 18 he can vote and read just the same documentation all the rest of us can, and draw his or make his own conclusions on what he wants to do, i told him what i would be prepared to do and even advised i would fit new tyres. Its up to him now.

Now talking of documentation go away and check up on the MOT failing thing, if your car goes in for test with a months MOT remaining goes on the system and fails, your remaining month as gone there and then, Before you could take it in it fail you do the work and still count the remaining month, you cant do this now if the CAR FAILS> its not legal anymore.

I have just done that check.the last one I had tested was on the 8th July 2016 and the expiry is 20 July 2017.so back to you.

So what are you suggesting he has the tyres fitted in the sellers home town not knowing the area or the prices or does he hire a van and take the tyres and tools with him to change them.bit of defeating the object really as he does not want to spend a lot. As I said try to think through your suggestions first.

Your being pedantic he need not hire a van do stop being strange, He needs to get tyres fitted he could legaly drive it to a tyre centre fit new tyres and go to the pre booked MOT, but i woul not personaly drive it with those tyres but thats just me, he may take the chance, tyres are an easy seen item of the car and as such open to prosicution without question if they are defective, so i would never move any car on a road with warn illegal tyres.

He can phone up tyre firms in that area and ask for prices.

Not possible now sorry its remaining MOT period is void from when it fails on the system now full stop.

I'm afraid your wrong,

My car failed on the 12th of July, it was repaired

and retested 1day later

MOT ran from 28th July 2105-2016

Car was retested on the 13th July 2016,

Expires on midnight 27th July 2017

I can't be the only member getting fed up of this thread now?

:shaun:

I have just done that check.the last one I had tested was on the 8th July 2016 and the expiry is 20 July 2017.so back to you.

Im calling you out that BS mister and you know it, now run along be a nice lad and dont be late home for your tea or your mum will thicken your ear. :rolleyes:

I'm afraid your wrong,

and retested 1day later

Your wrong i dont care what you say, if it fails is in the system it is void it wont carry over in that case. the system wont alow it for a start never mind the tester.

Your car will not have been on the system when he failed it, but even then how it gave out a 13 month test after september the 14th 2015 is scetchey at best verging on plain wrong at the extreme.

Edited by TONY R

I'm afraid your wrong,

and retested 1day later

Just looking at your dates in detail your test from July of 15 if thats what you mean highlighted is before the change date so maybe that is how it got through, Any car tested that fails on the system from last september looses the remaining test when it fails, and even if it passes i am not sure the system alows longer than 12 month mots anymore.

Edited by TONY R

Just looking at your dates in detail your test from July of 15 if thats what you mean highlighted is before the change date so maybe that is how it got through, Any car tested that fails on the system from last september looses the remaining test when it fails, and even if it passes i am not sure the system alows longer than 12 month mots anymore.

So now your saying vosa is wrong and you are right.

Perhaps other pw members could check their recent mot's and any who have the extra time could inform Tony r of his error.but might have to be quick before his parents get home and put the parental guard back on the computer.

Edited by bostonmick

So now your saying vosa is wrong and you are right.

No bbecause vosa never said any such thing, If you take a car after september of 2015 for an MOT and that car is found to fail the test, if the car is acctualy on the system when it fails, you can drive the car away and do the work but you cant run that car around on the remaining MOT that does not carry anymore, once its failed on the system its failed.

How can a MOT thats void due to a fail be tacked on to a new MOT. Hows that work then. :|:yes:

My car failed roughly 2 weeks ago, it was retested a day later,

The original MOT runs out on the 27th of this month

New MOT runs out on the 27th July 2017

So therefore 1 got 12 months and 2 weeks MOT,

Incidentally it says on my MOT certificate

"To preserve the anniversary of the expiry date, the earliest. You can present your vehicle for test is 28th June 2017"

So if I get it tested on that date I will get 13 months MOT

It doesn't say that if it fails you lose any remaining time

No bbecause vosa never said any such thing, If you take a car after september of 2015 for an MOT and that car is found to fail the test, if the car is acctualy on the system when it fails, you can drive the car away and do the work but you cant run that car around on the remaining MOT that does not carry anymore, once its failed on the system its failed.

How can a MOT thats void due to a fail be tacked on to a new MOT. Hows that work then. :|:yes:

My car never failed.you really do need to go lay down in a darkened room for a while.get a grip man

My car failed roughly 2 weeks ago, it was retested a day later,

The original MOT runs out on the 27th of this month

New MOT runs out on the 27th July 2017

So therefore 1 got 12 months and 2 weeks MOT,

Incidentally it says on my MOT certificate

"To preserve the anniversary of the expiry date, the earliest. You can present your vehicle for test is 28th June 2017"

So if I get it tested on that date I will get 13 months MOT

It doesn't say that if it fails you lose any remaining time

Well you cant use the car on the remaining MOT so quite why you were alowed to add it to a new test i have no idea how does that work then.?

My car never failed.you really do need to go lay down in a darkened room for a while.get a grip man

Where once did i say IF the car did not fail its test ? Its not me needs the darked room is it, show me one place where i said when a car passes>?