Treat me gently....

ditchman

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought i would post these 3 pic's before i started a fight..............

barrel cleaning is generally considered to be a bad idea...as with a new rifle the rifling needs to be "worked" up...........the reason i cleaned this ..is because i believe this rifle had been sitting in the desiel store on the farm for at least 20 years...the gun is 30 years old....and the rubber but plate has sort of semi disolved due to being leant against the wall in the fuel store..........usually a light once pull thro is plenty good enuff to keep the barrel free of rubbish...

i first pulled a bronze brush thro it...followed by white spirit and 6 jags/patches which went in really tight...you can still see the muck coming out of the "lands" even on the jag #6...........so the barrell will be shot in over the next couple of weeks...........

post-11401-0-19508700-1474826980_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-44824800-1474826991_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-49955100-1474827001_thumb.jpg

Three out of five are great! I'd guess that you are holding the gun a bit too tight with your trigger hand. But that's five dead bunnies (but only three pigeons) :lol:

you are spot on...its excactly the conclusion i have come to....when i get into a rythmn i can do a clover leaf at 25m....then it all goes pearshaped and i have to "settle" again....

brief update..............

have been trying different holds/positions....as listed..

• gun resting on 2 boxes cartridges with bit of sheepskin on top
  • gun resting on small cardboard box with sheepskin ontop
  • gun resting on small wooden box with carpet ontop

the hold i have been successful with at tightening up the groups and starting to get consistantsy is ....rest hand on wooden box, fore stock resting on hand or thumb and forefinger....but lightly into shoulder,right thumb away from stock and resting lightly on right side of gun....trigger finger pulling straight back.

This allows the recoil of the rifle to continue unempeded straight back..........

Breathing..........couple of steady in and out, breath in....1/3rd out hold....... and steadily very slowly exhale and squeeze trigger back in straight line.

as i stick with this i will post some more groupings up......i now do 2 groups at 12 metres.....then the rest of the session is at 25metres...

Edited by ditchman

If you aren't going to be rushing shots, then for an air rifle you might want to try a needle trigger? This is an expensive one - http://www.intershoot.co.uk/acatalog/Anschutz-Round-Trigger-Shoe-444.html, I'm sure you could make one out of a nail or something.

Needle trigger will ensure that you are putting the same part of your finger on the trigger when firing every time, and an airgun is susceptible to bad trigger technique as that pellet takes a lot longer to leave the barrel.

Trigger control and follow through will have as big an impact as hold will, if not greater IMO

im slowly finding that out.....about 70% of shots off target are due to (im sure) inconsistant trigger technique ....im toying with the idea to make a better trigger...this one is plastic...and just at the break point im sure i can feel it flex....the lightness of the adjusted trigger is nearly at the lightest setting as well...i will get hold of a bit of brass plate or aluminum....see what i can come up with....

im slowly finding that out.....about 70% of shots off target are due to (im sure) inconsistant trigger technique ....im toying with the idea to make a better trigger...this one is plastic...and just at the break point im sure i can feel it flex....the lightness of the adjusted trigger is nearly at the lightest setting as well...i will get hold of a bit of brass plate or aluminum....see what i can come up with....

Trigger issues are mainly where you have:

1) inconsistent finger position

2) snapping it

You can't do much about 2 from the trigger but first part is easy enough to fix.

Also (instructor cap on here) follow through. Take your shot, count to five. Then release the trigger and only then stopping looking through the scope

Trigger issues are mainly where you have:

1) inconsistent finger position

2) snapping it

You can't do much about 2 from the trigger but first part is easy enough to fix.

Also (instructor cap on here) follow through. Take your shot, count to five. Then release the trigger and only then stopping looking through the scope

no problem with the 2nd...its number one...that is causing me grief......what i have done yet again to-night is lighten the trigger to its lightest setting...when i wind the pressure off the spring completely...you cant fire it so wound pressure on bit by bit until it fired...then a bit more for safety.....so i will test tomorrow morning....

you can see why springer air rifles went out of fashion.....i like em tho....no gas bottles to worry about...pull a lever shove in a pellet ....dead magpie at 40 yds ...simples

:lol::lol: bet you wish you'd never mentioned "fat Sarah" does she know she is famous on pigeon watch :lol::lol:

fat sarah "we" think has a boyfriend......stuttery paul......who looks similar to a short version of benny hill with glasses.....he works up at the chicken killing station....and the word is he keeps slipping her a bit of jewerally now and again............mums the word ..shhhhh

no problem with the 2nd...its number one...that is causing me grief......what i have done yet again to-night is lighten the trigger to its lightest setting...when i wind the pressure off the spring completely...you cant fire it so wound pressure on bit by bit until it fired...then a bit more for safety.....so i will test tomorrow morning....

you can see why springer air rifles went out of fashion.....i like em tho....no gas bottles to worry about...pull a lever shove in a pellet ....dead magpie at 40 yds ...simples

Lightening the second stage trigger pull might cause you problems, I like to have a definite step between stage 1 and stage 2 so I can pick my moment to fire. If it is too light you can end up groping in the dark, is it, isn't it and snatch the shot when you are not ready.

Lightening the second stage trigger pull might cause you problems, I like to have a definite step between stage 1 and stage 2 so I can pick my moment to fire. If it is too light you can end up groping in the dark, is it, isn't it and snatch the shot when you are not ready.

understand completly what you say.....what i have got it to ...is...pull up 4mm slack...tighten up on trigger...then "think" the shot off....its the last bit i have lightened...

Trigger weight is more to do with snapping (or preventing it).

If you fancy an experiment - using something temporary and easily removed (like blu-tack), put a thumb-tack on your trigger shoe so you are pressing the sharp end to depress the trigger.

With a set up like this, you'll know that you are always pressing with the same part of your finger and as you depress, you won't be touching the edge of the trigger shoe.

If it works - do up something more permanent

Trigger weight is more to do with snapping (or preventing it).

If you fancy an experiment - using something temporary and easily removed (like blu-tack), put a thumb-tack on your trigger shoe so you are pressing the sharp end to depress the trigger.

With a set up like this, you'll know that you are always pressing with the same part of your finger and as you depress, you won't be touching the edge of the trigger shoe.

If it works - do up something more permanent

cheers....i will try that tomorrow.. :good: