Treat me gently....

ditchman

That looks a nice job you have done there, last you for years, I have always found Springer's don't group as well as pneumatic but what you say about the right combination of gun and pellet is spot-on, I have an old Air Arms SM-100 it only like air arms pellets, have tried a number of other pellets and cannot get the same grouping with them.

The air arms I use are, Diabolo Field 1.037 grams,

dimensions are body dia .217", skirt dia .220", length .295" (7.5mm)

at 40 yards they will group in a 20mm circle with the odd flyer.

Might be worth trying them in your gun.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That looks a nice job you have done there, last you for years, I have always found Springer's don't group as well as pneumatic but what you say about the right combination of gun and pellet is spot-on, I have an old Air Arms SM-100 it only like air arms pellets, have tried a number of other pellets and cannot get the same grouping with them.

The air arms I use are, Diabolo Field 1.037 grams,

dimensions are body dia .217", skirt dia .220", length .295" (7.5mm)

at 40 yards they will group in a 20mm circle with the odd flyer.

Might be worth trying them in your gun.

if i can get an 1" group @ 20-25yds i will be well happy and it will do everything i want........i have a couple of little ideas to tune it...so we will see..........

Edited by ditchman

tell you what if i was 13 or 14 again and got that as a present i would think all my xmas's had come at once.......when im ready im going to take it on the farm and start to zero it...

Yep..know what you mean about kids and air rifles, remember my first air rifle when I was 10, a Jelly made in Czechoslovakia, .177 springer, brake barrel with open sights,

I could knock sparrows of the chimney tops 3 doors down, mind you I did put a few holes in the gutters of neighbouring houses.

You lost me when you went all technical.

With you Ditchy the forum gets excellent practical and helpful advice plus a great deal of humour. As Carly Simon (or somebody similar) once said...' nobody does it better'.

how kind...........do like carley simon....but much prefered randy crawford...........nice listening on a wet winter night after a nice meal feet up on a leather sofa and alcohol,, :good::lol: ............

any other randy crawford fans on here,,,,,,,,,,?

well...............thought i would "run" it in today...so i trundeled off to the woods and picked a shady strip of grass and set the target up at 25metres made a bench rest on the landrover bonnet...2 boxes of cartridges with a bit of sheepskin on top.......and off i went

the phrase that comes to mind is "couldnt hit a barn door"........i had an A4 sheet of paper with a 1" black dot as a centre ...i managed to get the first 3 onto the paper ...just ..... then i fired off groups of 10....i use the word groups loosely groups were ragged 4" in diameter.....by the time i had done nine goups i had the groups down to 3" and on the 10th group it was down to just over 2" and a bit eliptical,.........

trigger pull was rubbish...i hadnt brought the tools with me as i thought i had got it right in the shed...i was wrong....it was too much throw and a stiff uncertain break point...the pellets were not the ones i needed......

It has been a long time since i shot rifle and i had to laugh at my breathing and heartbeat which could be seen in the scope....so back to learning how to breath and relax and slow the heart down....i had a few nice clusters of 3 shots in a 3/4" diameter...but i couldnt keep it consistant..............

came back and stripped the trigger out and redid it...cut down the throw by 80% and lightened the trigger up so i could feel it it then "think" the shot off..............

anyway the barrel has had a 100 rounds thro' it....trigger done now and scope in the right position.............i will order up 3 different makes of pellet and see what my next outing comes up with............

:good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnNyxy7XPfs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcKtPiZ77mY

For your delectation Ditchy.

how kind...........do like carley simon....but much prefered randy crawford...........nice listening on a wet winter night after a nice meal feet up on a leather sofa and alcohol,, :good::lol: ............

any other randy crawford fans on here,,,,,,,,,,?

:thanks::lol:

just had a trawl round the net for reviews of the "spitfire" SMK pellet.........................results indicate that anyone buying this pellet (which i didnt) must be a tightwad...drunken metal defective idiot.............nobody could get a decent group even at 10 metres....

JSB exacts work for me.........or if you wanna go retro.....Wasps?

yes those wasps have been around a long time....i used them in my old webley mk3..................thought i would go with a Airarms approved pellet to start off with........

have noticed when trawling the net some companies are selling pellet lubrication.....i know i used to use it on my FWC's in the pistol shooting but is it needed on air pellets ....or is it just more "snake oil"..........

roight...................we are making progress

new pellets arrived this morning........set up at 10 metres zeroed.....20mm group....set up at 25m still on zero ! again 20mm group....set up at 50metres...holdover 3 dots 80mm group

trigger still a bit tight...breathing to heavy ...bit more practice....other new pellets coming tomorrow....should be able to tighten everything up....